Holiday today May 8

didier

Senior Insider
victory.jpg

Interestingly, May 8 was Victory Day in Europe but not the end of WWII. Victory over Japan was not signed until September 2, 1945. My father was stationed in France on May 8, 1945 (at Fontainebleau), but did not get back to the US until April 1946 as his division wound down. On May 8, 2002, he was in St Barth and walked with the official procession from the old town hall to the old war memorial, and placed the wreath for the soldiers who died in the war. It was a very emotional occasion for him, with the French connection and memories of the war. He wore all white, with his army hat (same as in this photo) and his medals (including four European Theater campaign stars and an Army commendation ribbon for his assistance in getting the troops of the 42nd Infantry Division back to the United States)... during the ceremony someone leaned over to me during the ceremony and said, look it's a real US solider from WWII, who helped liberate France... and I replied, yes, it's really my father!

William Army 2.jpg

Interestingly, May 8 was Victory Day in Europe but not the end of WWII. Victory over Japan was not signed until September 2, 1945. My father was stationed in France on May 8, 1945 (at Fontainebleau), but did not get back to the US until April 1946 as his division wound down. On May 8, 2002, he was in St Barth and walked with the official procession from the old town hall to the old war memorial, and placed the wreath for the soldiers who died in the war. It was a very emotional occasion for him, with the French connection and memories of the war. He wore all white, with his army hat (same as in this photo) and his medals (including four European Theater campaign stars and an Army commendation ribbon for his assistance in getting the troops of the 42nd Infantry Division back to the United States)... during the ceremony someone leaned over to me during the ceremony and said, look it's a real US solider from WWII, who helped liberate France... and I replied, yes, it's really my father!

View attachment 57019
Great story and thanks to him and his division for all he/they did for all of us. He looks like the hero that he is in that picture

My grandmother did her share during the war in Brittany by hiding many jewish families in the basement. She had a big sigh of relief when it was over. The germans were also especially cruel to the locals during their invasion.... thank goodness for all who helped stop this horror.

View attachment 57019

wow Ellen, what a beautiful story. Your father was a handsome man. was your mother a war bride or was she an american?

Oh Wow! Ellen, that is such a beautiful story! That must have been a great day for both you and your Father.

My grandmother did her share during the war in Brittany by hiding many jewish families in the basement. She had a big sigh of relief when it was over. The germans were also especially cruel to the locals during their invasion.... thank goodness for all who helped stop this horror.

:up::up::up:

Pascale...thanks for sharing. Many French families hid Jewish families. Many hid and helped downed airmen. Many fought in the resistance. To those in France who had the courage to DO THE RIGHT THING, I say Merci

A very brave thing to do! Grateful to her.

View attachment 57019

I recall this wonderful occasion, Ellen . . . such a memorable & well deserved tribute. I’m sorry that I didn’t get to meet your Dad.

Pascale, merci à votre grand-mère, thank you to your grandmother.

wow Ellen, what a beautiful story. Your father was a handsome man. was your mother a war bride or was she an american?

My mother was American, they were engaged in 1944 when he shipped overseas, she was only 20 at the time.. they got married two weeks after he got back, on April 14, 1946... he passed away on their 59th wedding anniversary, April 14, 2005.. my mother lived another 13 years, and died at 93. Interesting that a lot of those young soldiers fighting Germany and Russia, were sons or grandsons of families who had fled from those countries at various times...

. . . Interesting that a lot of those young soldiers fighting Germany and Russia, were sons or grandsons of families who had fled from those countries at various times...

Such a very interesting point, Ellen . . . especially as the US goes through throes of immigration debate today & as one recalls, in light of recent domestic conflicts, the racial segregation that occurred in WWII.