Thread: Phone service and Wifi

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2016 Long Island Posts: 672

Phone service and Wifi

Greetings St. Barth friends. For our upcoming vacation, Cheryl and I will be needing phone service and WiFi connections besides what we have at our villa. What do you use? I have never needed services beyond our villa before. We will be down for 12 days. Thanks and hope to see you on the beach

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,325

Re: Phone service and Wifi

Look into options from your home carrier. Both ATT and Verizon have international plans on a per day cost basis. I use an ATT Passport plan, which is more of a bulk plan, and is good for 2GB or 6GB for one month. https://www.att.com/international/passport/ Depending on where you are on the island, coverage can be great, or it can be pretty poor.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 54,518

Passport is great for travel as it is a flat amount per day(was $10) and turns on triggered by usage abroad. ATT 4G May be better than WiFi is some places.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 44,921

T-Mobile has an international plan too.

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 11,206

Quote Originally Posted by Cwater View Post
    Greetings St. Barth friends. For our upcoming vacation, Cheryl and I will be needing phone service and WiFi connections besides what we have at our villa. What do you use? I have never needed services beyond our villa before. We will be down for 12 days. Thanks and hope to see you on the beach
    what does your villa have and what do you need beyond that? do you mean elsewhere besides at the villa or more robust than what the villa has already...

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2005 CT Posts: 1,139

With Verizon, we use the monthly plan. I just took a quick look. Looks like it's now up to $100, but, depending on one's length of stay, it can be a better deal than the $10 a day travel pass. The travel pass kicks in each 24 hour period you use it. On any day that you don't open the phone (other than on WiFi), you wouldn't incur the daily travel pass charge. (Hope that makes sense.)

The Verizon monthly pass is available for many countries (not all), including St. Bart's though.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2017 NY Posts: 735

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Passport is great for travel as it is a flat amount per day(was $10) and turns on triggered by usage abroad. ATT 4G May be better than WiFi is some places.
    Yeah, I use the day pass plan

https://www.att.com/international/day-pass/

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,840

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    Yeah, I use the day pass plan

https://www.att.com/international/day-pass/

Same. Easy...don't have to think which is my strong suit.

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,292

We called via Messenger today using wi-fi

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post
    what does your villa have and what do you need beyond that? do you mean elsewhere besides at the villa or more robust than what the villa has already...
    Villa Acajous was wonderful in 2019 however their WiFi was spotty. I hope it is better in July. Marie Claude is a gracious and wonderful host. I need to be connected wherever I go on the Island. Especially when Cheryl is shopping and I am hanging at Le Select watching the world go by.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 6,595

. . . agree regarding Marie Claude. We bought Villa CEC from her, and after many years, she is always available to help us whenever something comes up that we don't know how to handle (where's the water shutoff valve, for example!). A lovely lady.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 10,387

We find with wifi at the villa and wifi at all of the restaurants and most shops that we don’t need to spend the extra money.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 11,206

Quote Originally Posted by Cwater View Post
    Villa Acajous was wonderful in 2019 however their WiFi was spotty. I hope it is better in July. Marie Claude is a gracious and wonderful host. I need to be connected wherever I go on the Island. Especially when Cheryl is shopping and I am hanging at Le Select watching the world go by.
    You could try one of these https://travelwifi.com/

Wow thanks to all for your responses. The sharing on this site is amazing. See you on the beach

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2020 Posts: 21

if you like your 4g speeds, stick to AT&T, ive had trouble with TMOBILE not connecting with 4G in some parts of the island.

if your villa doesnt have good wifi, you can ask the rental company to supply you an Orange 4g wifi box. for best reception sometimes you need to leave it by a window or even outside under cover.