Vitet area - pros/cons

Thanks all! We booked Vitet....fingers crossed. We just can’t wait to get back!

Now I have to research restaurants options :thinking1:

Thanks!

Cool. Many of the forum folk take or took June trips. Think JUNIES. June is in the 80s and a wonderful time to be here.

Of course, I am the person who likes being on island any day that ends in the letter Y.

After Tim left, Vitet lost her charm to me. The little bridge just off the main road reminds me of French Viêt Nam.

Ah, the Vitet Grand Prix. I learned how to drive on the island on those steep hilly roads up Mt. Vitet towards Devet. Driving my dad's stickshift VW Thing--if you did it right and floored it down the hill and across that bridge, you'd have a decent chance of making it up the hill on the other side without downshifting... Reckless youth.

And beyond Vitet, there is Devet. Anyone ever been there?

Chez Tim's was next to, just below chez mon père along the Devet road. Devet has some of the island's loveliest views to the North, East, SE, etc.
Love it up there, Gustavia feels far, far away...

A view back in time, late 70's/early 80's, pre-Guanahani.
Vitet-House-View.jpg

you were indeed a lucky kid. we went to my grandmother’s house in Pascagoula.
not quite the same.
the aromas, though, from the paper plant and pogie plant were, ahem, memorable :cool:

In Stoughton we had Plymouth Rubber; very smelly, Phillips Machine Factory. and Shawmet Die Works. Phillips is the only one left.

Pro - the views as many have pointed out
Con - when a large vehicle is coming the other way how it feels like a game of chicken, especially in the turns

Once I was driving down and one of those usually comically funny tiny cement trucks was coming up. The truck didn't seem so small then. That was fun. Not.

I questioned the possibility of construction on the Camaruche hillside. This is what I found today, with a bad FB translation. It sounds like travelling to Vitet may require the long way around, but travelling from Vitet may be close to normal:

STOP CLOSING TRAFFIC ON TERRITORIAL PORTION #209 IN CAMARUCH FOR WORK ON ROAD NETWORK
From Monday May 17 to Saturday October 16, 2021

From Monday, May 17, 2021 until Saturday, October 16, 2021, a portion of lane No. 209 (Camaruche climb at the turn level) will be closed to traffic (except for the residents concerned by the impacted area, OM pickup and relief services), at the law of the work. A deviation will be put in place by way #211 towards Grand-Fond for users coming from Saint-Jean. Signs will be positioned on different sections to inform and direct users.

Vehicle parking will be prohibited on the edge of the work.

I questioned the possibility of construction on the Camaruche hillside. This is what I found today, with a bad FB translation. It sounds like travelling to Vitet may require the long way around, but travelling from Vitet may be close to normal:

STOP CLOSING TRAFFIC ON TERRITORIAL PORTION #209 IN CAMARUCH FOR WORK ON ROAD NETWORK
From Monday May 17 to Saturday October 16, 2021

From Monday, May 17, 2021 until Saturday, October 16, 2021, a portion of lane No. 209 (Camaruche climb at the turn level) will be closed to traffic (except for the residents concerned by the impacted area, OM pickup and relief services), at the law of the work. A deviation will be put in place by way #211 towards Grand-Fond for users coming from Saint-Jean. Signs will be positioned on different sections to inform and direct users.

Vehicle parking will be prohibited on the edge of the work.

Five months of "the long way around" - interesting as of yesterday there were two stop lights for road work between the Minimart and the intersection of Saline/Grand Fond, where the road to Grand Fond was also under construction work with another light and alternating traffic.. this ought to be fun!

Crank up the fun. From a different source, the COM, with a translation by Google. It sounds like everyone will be taking "the long way around", in both directions.

COMSTBARTH informs you: As a reminder, Voie 209, in the rise of Camaruche, will be closed to traffic in both directions from Monday, May 17 for 5 months except for site hazards. The deviation sign will be installed and maintained by the company in charge of the work. The Collectivity apologizes for the inconvenience caused and is counting on the good citizenship of everyone so that this work takes place in the best conditions.

Crank up the fun. From a different source, the COM, with a translation by Google. It sounds like everyone will be taking "the long way around", in both directions.

COMSTBARTH informs you: As a reminder, Voie 209, in the rise of Camaruche, will be closed to traffic in both directions from Monday, May 17 for 5 months except for site hazards. The deviation sign will be installed and maintained by the company in charge of the work. The Collectivity apologizes for the inconvenience caused and is counting on the good citizenship of everyone so that this work takes place in the best conditions.

A reminder of how key Camaruche is to going east!

Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 11.45.27 AM.jpg

KevinS;[URL="[URL said:
tel:1043733[/URL]"]1043733[/URL]]Crank up the fun. From a different source, the COM, with a translation by Google. It sounds like everyone will be taking "the long way around", in both directions.

ouch....looks like this is a big con for staying in Vitet. Oh well, worth the trouble in my opinion. More lunches and fewer dinners as I don’t like the long way at night.

So help me out here because I'm not sure exactly where the detour is expected to be. If I am passing by Lorient going east bound (beach on my left) I can make the right turn (near the cemetery) that takes me to Gouverneur/Saline/Grand Fond (depending on what I do next) all without a problem. I can also get to Pt Milou and Grand Cul-de-Sac without issue by going straight. But if I try to make the right turn after I leave Lorient and before I get to Pt Milou that is where I would have a problem?

That's great, so i'm about 20 feet from having a nice route up to Vitet, but now facing a drive around the island to get back up to that intersection to make a left up to Vitet. What would you recommend, staying the course and enjoy being up high in the heart of the summer, or move to other side of the island ?

No, according to the plan, you would be going all the way around too.

So help me out here because I'm not sure exactly where the detour is expected to be. If I am passing by Lorient going east bound (beach on my left) I can make the right turn (near the cemetery) that takes me to Gouverneur/Saline/Grand Fond (depending on what I do next) all without a problem. I can also get to Pt Milou and Grand Cul-de-Sac without issue by going straight. But if I try to make the right turn after I leave Lorient and before I get to Pt Milou that is where I would have a problem?

The way I read the post, it looks like there will be a signal light at the intersection for the road that heads towards Saline. Another at the 3 way intersection between Saline and towards Grand Fond and finally a third signal at the road that leads up to Vitet. So where you used to head straight past the cemetery and JoJo's and make the left to ascend the hill, you have to now go right at the cemetery. If you are staying in Vitet or even worse Devet, its a loooong way around. Point Milou is not much better. I wonder what happens to the people who have homes inside of the construction zone. I suppose it must be the same as you see here in the US where the sign says you can only proceed onward if you are a local resident. The comments on the FB page make it clear that some residents are pretty upset about the 5 month closing.