Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vitet area - pros/cons

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 11,213

Re: Vitet area - pros/cons

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    I questioned the possibility of construction on the Camaruche hillside. This is what I found today, with a bad FB translation. It sounds like travelling to Vitet may require the long way around, but travelling from Vitet may be close to normal:

STOP CLOSING TRAFFIC ON TERRITORIAL PORTION #209 IN CAMARUCH FOR WORK ON ROAD NETWORK
    From Monday May 17 to Saturday October 16, 2021

From Monday, May 17, 2021 until Saturday, October 16, 2021, a portion of lane No. 209 (Camaruche climb at the turn level) will be closed to traffic (except for the residents concerned by the impacted area, OM pickup and relief services), at the law of the work. A deviation will be put in place by way #211 towards Grand-Fond for users coming from Saint-Jean. Signs will be positioned on different sections to inform and direct users.

Vehicle parking will be prohibited on the edge of the work.
    Five months of "the long way around" - interesting as of yesterday there were two stop lights for road work between the Minimart and the intersection of Saline/Grand Fond, where the road to Grand Fond was also under construction work with another light and alternating traffic.. this ought to be fun!

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,333

Crank up the fun. From a different source, the COM, with a translation by Google. It sounds like everyone will be taking "the long way around", in both directions.

COMSTBARTH informs you: As a reminder, Voie 209, in the rise of Camaruche, will be closed to traffic in both directions from Monday, May 17 for 5 months except for site hazards. The deviation sign will be installed and maintained by the company in charge of the work. The Collectivity apologizes for the inconvenience caused and is counting on the good citizenship of everyone so that this work takes place in the best conditions.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 54,535

Crank up the fun. From a different source, the COM, with a translation by Google. It sounds like everyone will be taking "the long way around", in both directions.

COMSTBARTH informs you: As a reminder, Voie 209, in the rise of Camaruche, will be closed to traffic in both directions from Monday, May 17 for 5 months except for site hazards. The deviation sign will be installed and maintained by the company in charge of the work. The Collectivity apologizes for the inconvenience caused and is counting on the good citizenship of everyone so that this work takes place in the best conditions.
    A reminder of how key Camaruche is to going east!

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 11.45.27 AM.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  367.7 KB
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH New Member Joined: May 2021 Posts: 7

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS;[URL="[URL
    tel:1043733[/URL]"]1043733[/URL]]Crank up the fun. From a different source, the COM, with a translation by Google. It sounds like everyone will be taking "the long way around", in both directions.

ouch....looks like this is a big con for staying in Vitet. Oh well, worth the trouble in my opinion. More lunches and fewer dinners as I don’t like the long way at night.

SBH Member Joined: Dec 2020 Posts: 83

Welp, too bad i booked there 5 days ago for July. Won't be fun at night...

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2017 NY Posts: 736

So help me out here because I'm not sure exactly where the detour is expected to be. If I am passing by Lorient going east bound (beach on my left) I can make the right turn (near the cemetery) that takes me to Gouverneur/Saline/Grand Fond (depending on what I do next) all without a problem. I can also get to Pt Milou and Grand Cul-de-Sac without issue by going straight. But if I try to make the right turn after I leave Lorient and before I get to Pt Milou that is where I would have a problem?

Looks to be near the top of the Camaruche hill just before to route to Vitet

Name:  closed.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 11.45.27 AM.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  366.9 KB

Quite a discusson on Facebook

That's great, so i'm about 20 feet from having a nice route up to Vitet, but now facing a drive around the island to get back up to that intersection to make a left up to Vitet. What would you recommend, staying the course and enjoy being up high in the heart of the summer, or move to other side of the island ?

No, according to the plan, you would be going all the way around too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    So help me out here because I'm not sure exactly where the detour is expected to be. If I am passing by Lorient going east bound (beach on my left) I can make the right turn (near the cemetery) that takes me to Gouverneur/Saline/Grand Fond (depending on what I do next) all without a problem. I can also get to Pt Milou and Grand Cul-de-Sac without issue by going straight. But if I try to make the right turn after I leave Lorient and before I get to Pt Milou that is where I would have a problem?

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2010 Nuevo York Posts: 690

The way I read the post, it looks like there will be a signal light at the intersection for the road that heads towards Saline. Another at the 3 way intersection between Saline and towards Grand Fond and finally a third signal at the road that leads up to Vitet. So where you used to head straight past the cemetery and JoJo's and make the left to ascend the hill, you have to now go right at the cemetery. If you are staying in Vitet or even worse Devet, its a loooong way around. Point Milou is not much better. I wonder what happens to the people who have homes inside of the construction zone. I suppose it must be the same as you see here in the US where the sign says you can only proceed onward if you are a local resident. The comments on the FB page make it clear that some residents are pretty upset about the 5 month closing.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2010 Nuevo York Posts: 690

Quote Originally Posted by TR561 View Post
    That's great, so i'm about 20 feet from having a nice route up to Vitet, but now facing a drive around the island to get back up to that intersection to make a left up to Vitet. What would you recommend, staying the course and enjoy being up high in the heart of the summer, or move to other side of the island ?
    Unless you were planning to spend a lot of time at the villa, I would find some place else to stay. Getting to St Jean or Gustavia means driving a giant loop. Flamands or Colombier sounds appealing. Lurin even better as its close to town and Gouverneur. Always had good breeze up there.

Yeah, i was pretty excited to stay up high this time in Vitet, but getting home at night through Grand Fond would be a little dicey. Pretty disappointed, but need to find another option soon for early July if i'm not sticking with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bkeats View Post
    Unless you were planning to spend a lot of time at the villa, I would find some place else to stay. Getting to St Jean or Gustavia means driving a giant loop. Flamands or Colombier sounds appealing. Lurin even better as its close to town and Gouverneur. Always had good breeze up there.

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Tyler, Texas and Beaver Creek, Colorado Posts: 4,652

And beyond Vitet, there is Devet. Anyone ever been there?
    The first time we stayed in a villa rather than a hotel was in a beautiful place at the end of the road in Devet. Would have been 2002 I think.
    To the optimist the glass is half full.
    To the pessimist the glass is half empty.
    To the engineer the glass is simply too big.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,333

The complete closure of the road on the Camaruche hillside has been pushed to June 1.

From the COM's FB page, as translated by Google:

COMSTBARTH informs you: - Camaruche climb works - The work on the high voltage electricity network at Petite Saline having been delayed and in order not to further congestion the road traffic in the windward part of the island, the closure of track 209, known as the "Montée de Camaruche" is postponed. to Tuesday June 1, 2021. Traffic will alternate with a traffic light in the "Montée de Camaruche" until Monday, May 31, 2021 inclusive.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 6,596

A knowledgeable official in the Collectivite wrote to me today to say that the closing will begin "around June 10th" and that it's unknown whether the road will be totally closed for the entire time of the works. The goal is to be finished with the project (putting fiber optic, electricity, potable water, and other infrastructure underground) before "the next season."

Quote Originally Posted by cec1 View Post
    A knowledgeable official in the Collectivite wrote to me today to say that the closing will begin "around June 10th" and that it's unknown whether the road will be totally closed for the entire time of the works. The goal is to be finished with the project (putting fiber optic, electricity, potable water, and other infrastructure underground) before "the next season."

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 12.02.20 PM.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  377.1 KB

The residents of Camaruche will have to take their troubles patiently. Since May 17 and for about five months, the section of road that goes up from Lorient to the east of the island will be under construction. Until Monday, May 31, vehicle traffic will be alternated with the installation of traffic lights. However, from Tuesday June 1 at 7 a.m., the road will be completely closed to traffic. A detour will be set up in the direction of Grand-Fond.

It goes without saying that the announcement of the road closure did not fail to generate many reactions, especially on social media. Sometimes ironically with, for example, "The community will give us gasoline!" "Or" I who live in Grand-Cul-de-Sac, I'm going to feast from one end to the other, I think I'm going to have a Zen retreat at home ".

But humor is not always in order ...

"So we close Camaruche by deviating towards Grand-Fond but without having finished the work beforehand ... How is the slogan of the pebble already? The art of being an island under construction? "Same reflection, or almost, of another Internet user:" Seriously, they do not want to finish Grand-Fond before closing Camaruche? " The economic aspect is obviously one of the concerns put forward. "It's not as if gasoline has increased to 1.56 euros (the liter, editor's note) when in Saint-Martin we don't even pay a euro," scolds a woman. Solutions ? “We will have to create a ring road” or “We will have to walk back”. And one internet user summed up the general feeling of the inhabitants of the North-East of the island: "We are not out of the mess! "

For its part, the Collectivity asks to "apologize for the inconvenience caused" and "count on the good citizenship of everyone so that this essential work on this dangerous section of road takes place in the best conditions".

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Nantucket - St. Barth's Posts: 1,183

The complete closure of the road on the Camaruche hillside has been pushed to June 1.

From the COM's FB page, as translated by Google:

COMSTBARTH informs you: - Camaruche climb works - The work on the high voltage electricity network at Petite Saline having been delayed and in order not to further congestion the road traffic in the windward part of the island, the closure of track 209, known as the "Montée de Camaruche" is postponed. to Tuesday June 1, 2021. Traffic will alternate with a traffic light in the "Montée de Camaruche" until Monday, May 31, 2021 inclusive.
    Thanks for this update Kevin. A couple more delays and we could be all good before departure.
    "Like" Us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/nantucketcatering

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,841

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 12.02.20 PM.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  377.1 KB

.. How is the slogan of the pebble
    I'm sorry for the trouble this will cause but this WBAGNFARB.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 11,213

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I'm sorry for the trouble this will cause but this WBAGNFARB.

The Pebbles or Men At Work