St. Barts without the glamour.

Would you do it all over again? We are planning my daughter's wedding at her dream location and the cost for five hours would be enough for a down payment on a house and furnishing it. I offered her both options and she chose the fabulous wedding.

What’s the square feet on the house? :biglaugh:

Haha. It's a small wedding and the house is 3,000 sq. feet, new construction and commutable to Manhattan.

They told us they want to go to SBH for their honeymoon and we're not invited.

Haha. It's a small wedding and the house is 3,000 sq. feet, new construction and commutable to Manhattan.

They told us they want to go to SBH for their honeymoon and we're not invited.

Houses come and go, but great weddings live on forever.

The first time we went to the island we stayed in the cheapest room at Isle de France, which wasn’t cheap. No view of the ocean at all. We were afraid to drive at night so only used taxis.
Fast forward- on that trip we met a couple who own several villas in Pte. Milou. We have rented one of them ever since and have become good friends. We happily drive all over in one of Odile’s cars every year.

We are planning my daughter's wedding at her dream location and the cost for five hours would be enough for a down payment on a house and furnishing it. I offered her both options and she chose the fabulous wedding.

Did you know this is actually a show? Marriage or Mortgage. On Netflix.

2 big or even semi-big meals a day too much food for us so if we go out for lunch, we stay in for dinner, vice versa stay home lunch, out to dinner.

That's why I spend at least an hour every day swimming. Have to offset the input with some output. Otherwise I would explode. Despite eating and drinking far too much food, I usually come back from our trips lighter in weight and wallet as I am far more active on SBH than when I spend 10+ hours a day in my seat staring at screens.

I've been living this adventure since 1968. We do budget meals. But, who wouldn't given the tableside view? IMG_0625.jpgDSC07736.jpg

I've been living this adventure since 1968. We do budget meals. But, who wouldn't given the tableside view?View attachment 56830View attachment 56831[/QU

I was hoping you would put that pic in from your villa. I had the chance a couple of times to take a pic, but the view outside captured my camera instead. I was at your villa a couple of times when the stky's were there. who blew up the photo for you, was it a local person?

My highlight was dinner at La Banane which ended with a conga line around the pool and getting 'persuaded' into the pool by the staff.

Traveling since 1987. The casual ambiance of eating on the balcony of Au Port with a spectacular view of the
harbor before the new post office was built.

here's a real look at St Barth without the glamour, you stay in an old St Barth house with no air-conditioning and only cistern water which you use by the thimble full to conserve as much as possible for the dry season.... set a limit like a local for food, perhaps 30 euros per day per person. Could you do it?

here's a real look at St Barth without the glamour, you stay in an old St Barth house with no air-conditioning and only cistern water which you use by the thimble full to conserve as much as possible for the dry season.... set a limit like a local for food, perhaps 30 euros per day per person. Could you do it?

I grew up with no AC and on cistern water. No thanks returning to that!

Our first trip was 1995 after seeing an article in T&C on St Barth, featuring Ilets de La Plage in '94. --That was a good decision. After about 8-9 other Caribbean island trips, we determined that SB was "our place" and never looked back. We too enjoy just one resto per day, as more is just too much from a caloric standpoint for us. Having a cellar, we, like Kevin and others, particularly love to splurge during this multi-week yearly vacation highlight. Although, I prefer French and Italian reds, whites& bubbles too are wonderful at that time. Fingers crossed that our July visit will work!! IMG_7490.jpg