Just doesn't feel right

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was called up on the carpet about a previous post and on that one I agreed and suggested it be removed. Instead of being removed it was made to look illegible, thought that was inappropriate. Today I posted information that was sent out and not considered private. Based on a posters comment the thread was closed. The information is pertinent and I think helpful to travelers understanding their options. This feels like censorship, I just can't be apart of this any further. I hope everyone finds their way back to paradise.

Mario

I was called up on the carpet about a previous post and on that one I agreed and suggested it be removed. Instead of being removed it was made to look illegible, thought that was inappropriate. Today I posted information that was sent out and not considered private. Based on a posters comment the thread was closed. The information is pertinent and I think helpful to travelers understanding their options. This feels like censorship, I just can't be apart of this any further. I hope everyone finds their way back to paradise.

Mario

Hi Mario, I'm a newcomer here trying to find my footing so this is just my understanding, nothing official from the forum or from St Barth.

I think you accidentally touched some hot buttons and that is why your posts have caused a stir and been removed. St Barth is in the difficult situation of trying to get tourism and travel turned back on while France is saying no-way-Jose. There have been several official and unofficial back door entry pathways offered by me, you, and others. What they all have in common however, is the irony that publicizing them may cause them to get closed AND may have repercussions with the people who left them ajar. So on one hand, it seems fair and make sense to broadcast loudly and widely how to get in, but on the other hand, it may actually delay or reverse the re-opening calendar. I think of it like a restaurant doing a 'soft opening' where they open without fanfare ahead of the official "grand opening" which allows them to get the kinks out of their flow and try out some recipes with a smaller and more friendly group before going fully public when the crowds and the critics arrive. In this case it also takes the pressure off by allowing those who really really care to come and go without opening up to random people who would have been just as happy in Key West.

Hopefully you don't take too much of the backlash personally. These are difficult times for everyone.

Mario

Sorry to see you go, but let me clear a few things up.

Your OP was not made to look illegible, that is the way you posted it.

You then posted the name and address of a public servant, along with his message, which was found to be privledged. By your own admission, a friend sent it to you.

The new "procedure" seems to be working for those who are interested in coming to the island from the US and is apparently widely known based on the numbers of Americans on the island.

I closed the thread because we all seem to understand how it works.

Hi Mario, I'm a newcomer here trying to find my footing so this is just my understanding, nothing official from the forum or from St Barth.

I think you accidentally touched some hot buttons and that is why your posts have caused a stir and been removed. St Barth is in the difficult situation of trying to get tourism and travel turned back on while France is saying no-way-Jose. There have been several official and unofficial back door entry pathways offered by me, you, and others. What they all have in common however, is the irony that publicizing them may cause them to get closed AND may have repercussions with the people who left them ajar. So on one hand, it seems fair and make sense to broadcast loudly and widely how to get in, but on the other hand, it may actually delay or reverse the re-opening calendar. I think of it like a restaurant doing a 'soft opening' where they open without fanfare ahead of the official "grand opening" which allows them to get the kinks out of their flow and try out some recipes with a smaller and more friendly group before going fully public when the crowds and the critics arrive. In this case it also takes the pressure off by allowing those who really really care to come and go without opening up to random people who would have been just as happy in Key West.

Hopefully you don't take too much of the backlash personally. These are difficult times for everyone.

A good assessment, thank you for your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.