France apparently cancelling all short haul internal flights (BBC)

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
This is called a ‘carbon positive’ action. Instead of flying, people will travel by train. This apparently has nothing to do with Covid spread nor does it impact international flight destinations.

that probably should have been posted under Everything Else, but it is interesting if you live in France or travel there frequently.. the short haul flights used to be on an airline called Air Inter - for internal flights - could have been an Air France subsidiary like American Eagle to AA, my memory is hazy on that, and Air Inter went away a while back.. but you could land in Paris from the US for example and hop on an Air Inter flight for Avignon in my case, or other large cities all over the "hexagon" - taking a train is a bit more complicated especially if you have a lot of luggage. There is a TGV - high speed train - station right at Charles de Gaulle but it's terrible and does not feature a fabulous restaurant like Le Train Bleu at Gare de Lyon, from whence we would usually take the TGV after a lovely lunch...

giphy.gif

JEK and Andy - you Kevin and others are our leaders. If this is a Forum only for Americans then you are all correct. I should have posted under Everything Else. I suggest this is a Global Forum.
People post about ‘flight cancellations’ and ‘check with the airlines’ not often on the main Forum - not under Getting There and nobody says anything. Because it’s all about us Americans.
We have French friends we have met up with on the island for years. We each plan our journeys with multiple air connections to arrive at similar times. Eliminating all internal flights in France, even though ‘trains work’ changes the process of getting to the island for them. I thought about whether my post was an Everything Else or a Getting To.
Stating that France is more than a short haul away from the island I suggest is an insult to our French Forum members. Let’s not forget SBH is a French island not an American one.

Over the weekend, lawmakers voted in favour of a bill to end routes where the same journey could be made by train in under two-and-a-half hours.

Thanks for posting. I hadn't seen this, but this is kind of a big deal. Confused on all of the negative feedback other than forum choice. Our next France trip will likely include Paris and one or two other places - not sure of the order. I immediately googled how many hours (under 2/1/2?) the train from Paris to various locations was to get a sense of the impact since I prefer to travel via plane when I have luggage. Nice still good. Bordeaux, I guess train only when this goes into effect - about 2:15 train travel time. No big deal on that one because with check in times and closeness of train station vs Airport the train to Bordeaux normally easier for most anyway.