Non-island discussion posts regarding COVID

Re: Island vaccinations off to a good start

Polio and Smallpox would like a word.

And paraphrasing Neil DeGrasse Tyson: science doesn't care about your firm beliefs.

the polio vaccines were years in the making. and the formula for the polio vaccine was always the same, not different formulas. the inventor of the polio vaccine was asked if he would patent the vaccine and make a lot of money, he answered why would I do that, it would be like putting a patent on the sun, its something we need.. .

the polio vaccines were years in the making.

One would suspect this is because the science of vaccine development today has advanced somewhat beyond where it was nearly a century ago when polio vaccine research was started. The medical and technological world around us today feels slightly more advanced than that of the 1930s.

It would be like arguing that the current year model Ford Mustang is unsafe to drive and “experimental” because it wasn’t developed in the same timeframe as automobiles of the 1920s.

And, let’s be frank. If this were the 1950s, conspiracy theorists of today would be part of the group in the mid-20th century arguing that the polio vaccine was dangerous and should be banned. After all, did you know that the polio vaccine actually gave 1 in every 2 million people who received it polio? The risk of side effects from these covid vaccines is measurably lower, with odds now more favorable on a scale of tens of millions vs. the rate of serious side effects we saw from the polio and smallpox vaccines you champion as benchmarks of normalcy in vaccine development and administration.

As a side note — none of these vaccines in use are experimental. You continue to use that term inaccurately and without justification. It is factually false. The vaccines went through an experimental phase and were authorized for use. Each of these vaccines are not “new”. They are based on tested technology and science that has been around for decades now, including the mRNA vaccines, just like a new airplane model from Airbus isn’t received by the public with a level of skepticism as though it is the first time man has mastered the ability to fly.

Vaccine side effects virtually always show themselves within hours of administration, and with complete historical certainty do show themselves within under 30 days of being administered.

Here are the facts. This virus isn’t going to magically disappear. In fact, the longer it remains in circulation, the greater the chances are that more variants evolve that not only increase contagiousness of the virus, but also its mortality rate — something being observed right now with newer strains just one year in. Worse, the greater the odds are that they evolve in a partially vaccinated population to outsmart vaccines.

Vaccines can be a silver bullet that literally eradicate this virus from our planet, something increasingly unlikely now due to misinformation being spread by individuals on forums like this, but only if enough people take them to establish legitimate herd immunity — something that cannot be achieved through “natural immunity” without actually killing millions of more people in an effort to try. If we do not reach herd immunity on a global scale, this virus will continue to survive, spread, and thrive. Result? We’ll be wearing masks for the rest of our lives, vaccine passports won’t just be a thing of the next few years but rather of our lifetimes, border closures will become normality.

If we want to see global tourism return to normal ever again and know that we can freely travel to islands such as St. Barts without encountering the risk of sudden travel bans, border closures, or permanent covid testing and vaccine passport control on either side of the border, then we have an ever-narrowing window to make that happen. Spreading misinformation and constantly contradicting the overwhelming consensus of the global healthcare community with falsehood-laden conspiracy theories will only cement into our future a planet where free travel was a thing of prior civilization.

This comment should be framed.

"here's my take. Rosemond's nurse comes in the morning. masked. the driver comes to get him for physical therapy, masked. the secretary at the reception desk at the PT place. masked. The physical therapist himself. masked. the sports coach who works with him in the afternoon. masked. his Feldenkrais teacher. masked. everyone working in every shop and restaurant on the island. masked. some tourists have been very lax and the beach restaurants especially have not enforced the rules, thus GypSea, Nikki, and others have been closed for violations, some more than once. Maybe the residents who live here just want to protect themselves from the foolish people who have 100 people to their villa while the official limit is six... I am not taking sides, but if you think there are no rules and you can come here and flaunt them and not get sick I will put you in touch with two friends who tested positive before leaving, spent two extra weeks in a hotel room at their own cost, and could barely lift their heads off the pillows. And no one could go see them other than to leave food and water on the porch. English variant, severe cases.... so please come, and enjoy your tropical playground, but please be careful. 1 case = an epidemic for a population of 10,000... so we have been at epidemic levels for months and months. not a laughing matter to some..." ELG

"One would suspect this is because the science of vaccine development today has advanced somewhat beyond where it was nearly a century ago when polio vaccine research was started. The medical and technological world around us today feels slightly more advanced than that of the 1930s.

It would be like arguing that the current year model Ford Mustang is unsafe to drive and “experimental” because it wasn’t developed in the same timeframe as automobiles of the 1920s.

And, let’s be frank. If this were the 1950s, conspiracy theorists of today would be part of the group in the mid-20th century arguing that the polio vaccine was dangerous and should be banned. After all, did you know that the polio vaccine actually gave 1 in every 2 million people who received it polio? The risk of side effects from these covid vaccines is measurably lower, with odds now more favorable on a scale of tens of millions vs. the rate of serious side effects we saw from the polio and smallpox vaccines you champion as benchmarks of normalcy in vaccine development and administration.

As a side note — none of these vaccines in use are experimental. You continue to use that term inaccurately and without justification. It is factually false. The vaccines went through an experimental phase and were authorized for use. Each of these vaccines are not “new”. They are based on tested technology and science that has been around for decades now, including the mRNA vaccines, just like a new airplane model from Airbus isn’t received by the public with a level of skepticism as though it is the first time man has mastered the ability to fly.

Vaccine side effects virtually always show themselves within hours of administration, and with complete historical certainty do show themselves within under 30 days of being administered.

Here are the facts. This virus isn’t going to magically disappear. In fact, the longer it remains in circulation, the greater the chances are that more variants evolve that not only increase contagiousness of the virus, but also its mortality rate — something being observed right now with newer strains just one year in. Worse, the greater the odds are that they evolve in a partially vaccinated population to outsmart vaccines.

Vaccines can be a silver bullet that literally eradicate this virus from our planet, something increasingly unlikely now due to misinformation being spread by individuals on forums like this, but only if enough people take them to establish legitimate herd immunity — something that cannot be achieved through “natural immunity” without actually killing millions of more people in an effort to try. If we do not reach herd immunity on a global scale, this virus will continue to survive, spread, and thrive. Result? We’ll be wearing masks for the rest of our lives, vaccine passports won’t just be a thing of the next few years but rather of our lifetimes, border closures will become normality.

If we want to see global tourism return to normal ever again and know that we can freely travel to islands such as St. Barts without encountering the risk of sudden travel bans, border closures, or permanent covid testing and vaccine passport control on either side of the border, then we have an ever-narrowing window to make that happen. Spreading misinformation and constantly contradicting the overwhelming consensus of the global healthcare community with falsehood-laden conspiracy theories will only cement into our future a planet where free travel was a thing of prior civilization." GK

I would just like to add that as many as one third of the people who "recover" from the natural infection have debilitating "long covid". Even if you are then contributing to herd immunity your life may be ruined. I took the shot.

I would just like to add that as many as one third of the people who "recover" from the natural infection have debilitating "long covid". Even if you are then contributing to herd immunity your life may be ruined. I took the shot.

I survived the covid infection. I got this infection in January 2020 before the world had a name for it. so far no side effects, I still have great antibodies as I was tested again recently. I recovered nicely. let me know in a year if you have any lasting effects from the shot. and also if you may need a booster shot if your antibodies run out .

Interesting articles in Journal this am on the rate of participation at the vaccinodrome and comments from some of those choosing to decline to participate at this time.
No hysteria. Just people making their own personal risk-benefit assessments.

Interesting articles in Journal this am on the rate of participation at the vaccinodrome and comments from some of those choosing to decline to participate at this time.
No hysteria. Just people making their own personal risk-benefit assessments.
Years ago I was running a skidder; which drags out logs after the trees have been felled and limbed. The day before I was the only one working the wood lot and pulled out a lot of skids. The following day a man that had spent most of his life in the woods was dropping trees. A branch kicked up and came into the skidder and pinned my leg over my shoulder. Luckily the hand throttle was on the lowest level and the diesel died. He came over cut the branch and took me to the hospital. The difference of a day is most likely death instead of scars. I tried to go back to the job after I recovered; but every time something kicked up I saw it coming in again. The job wasn't worth the risk for me any longer. And future connections and work earned me a two week vacation on St. Barts. We have been back countless times and we are returning for three weeks in December. We are visiting with another couple. All of us have been vaccinated and common sense tells me that masking should be over by then.

One would suspect this is because the science of vaccine development today has advanced somewhat beyond where it was nearly a century ago when polio vaccine research was started. The medical and technological world around us today feels slightly more advanced than that of the 1930s.

If we want to see global tourism return to normal ever again and know that we can freely travel to islands such as St. Barts without encountering the risk of sudden travel bans, border closures, or permanent covid testing and vaccine passport control on either side of the border, then we have an ever-narrowing window to make that happen. Spreading misinformation and constantly contradicting the overwhelming consensus of the global healthcare community with falsehood-laden conspiracy theories will only cement into our future a planet where free travel was a thing of prior civilization.

Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!

Being part of the solution (eradicating COVID-19) is the new normal.

It's like Groundhog Day in here (the movie, not the holiday)

The way I look at it is if you don't want to get the vaccine, don't get it. No one can force you to and the part you seem to be missing is that no one is even trying to force you to get it. But stop trying to justify not getting it with half-truths, outliers and opinions based on nothing but opinions because that is where you keep getting your push back and saying things over and over ad nauseam doesn't make them true. Those who believe the vaccine is a good/great thing don't care that you personally don't trust it or want to get it. Honestly, we just don't care. Some simply have gotten it because it allows them to travel more freely and that's fine too. At least in part, what some who believe in the vaccine do care about (above and beyond our general well wishes for everyone's good health) is the hope that the majority of people will get vaccinated or at least more than have so far will, because we feel that will open up travel to St Barths with less restrictions for those of us that want to travel there. This is a travel forum and that is what the main focus of the topic should be. You may not agree, but that's ok, you don't have to because we can't all even agree if Maya's is a good restaurant or not so how can we be expected to agree on this? :laughing-cry: None of us has a crystal ball, but please stop pretending like anyone cares if you get vaccinated or not.

It's like Groundhog Day in here (the movie, not the holiday)

The way I look at it is if you don't want to get the vaccine, don't get it. No one can force you to and the part you seem to be missing is that no one is even trying to force you to get it. But stop trying to justify not getting it with half-truths, outliers and opinions based on nothing but opinions because that is where you keep getting your push back and saying things over and over ad nauseam doesn't make them true. Those who believe the vaccine is a good/great thing don't care that you personally don't trust it or want to get it. Honestly, we just don't care. Some simply have gotten it because it allows them to travel more freely and that's fine too. What some who believe in the vaccine do care about (above and beyond our general well wishes for everyone's good health) is the hope that the majority of people will get vaccinated or at least more than have so far will, because we feel that will open up travel to St Barths with less restrictions for those of us that want to travel there. This is a travel forum and that is what the main focus of the topic should be. You may not agree, but that's ok, you don't have to because we can't all even agree if Maya's is a good restaurant or not so how can we be expected to agree on this? :laughing-cry: None of us has a crystal ball, but please stop pretending like anyone cares if you get vaccinated or not.

:up:

Re: Encourgaing news on vaccinations

Wow 45%??? that's amazing. From what I read on here I thought that no one on the island wanted to be vaccinated. IMO

I don't believe anyone said that. but I am sure the mods can look it up.

Again, snarky and unpleasant. You are all so ready to find conflict in every post that you see nothing else. There is no veiled accusation in my comment. There were a lot of comments on here (and many by you) about how so many residents didn't want to get vaccinated. Heck it's been a topic for a month. I for one am ecstatic and surprised that the number vaccinated is that high and assumed everyone would be. Even people who aren't vaccinated should be thrilled if it helps the island open.

I certainly am not being snarky or unpleasant, but it seems as if you might be. yikes.

what I said was that most Locals do not want to be vaccinated. and that is still true. we have a large portuguese population and a lot of ex pats on the island. The island will open soon regardless of the final vaccination count.

Hopefully you will be able to visit. I hope you have a great day.:cool:

[h=2]05-05-2021, 11:45 AM[/h]

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Jim A
Wow 45%??? that's amazing. From what I read on here I thought that no one on the island wanted to be vaccinated. IMO

Originally posted by didier:"I don't believe anyone said that. but I am sure the mods can look it up."​

[h=2]05-05-2021, 12:21 PM[/h]

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Jim A
Again, snarky and unpleasant. You are all so ready to find conflict in every post that you see nothing else. There is no veiled accusation in my comment. There were a lot of comments on here (and many by you) about how so many residents didn't want to get vaccinated. Heck it's been a topic for a month. I for one am ecstatic and surprised that the number vaccinated is that high and assumed everyone would be. Even people who aren't vaccinated should be thrilled if it helps the island open.

Originally posted by didier:
"I certainly am not being snarky or unpleasant, but it seems as if you might be. yikes.

what I said was that most Locals do not want to be vaccinated. and that is still true. we have a large portuguese population and a lot of ex pats on the island. The island will open soon regardless of the final vaccination count.

Hopefully you will be able to visit. I hope you have a great day."​

:confused: