Non-island discussion posts regarding COVID

Re: Non-island discussion topic

I'm still waiting. I'm also waiting for those countless examples of Fauci flip flopping that you cited.

And, you're being silly or willfully ignorant to quote anything that Trump's CDC said. Like the rest of the administration they were in the lies and propaganda business. And so are you.

But I'll be sure to rush right down to the petri dish of St. Barts and spend my money like you keep advising.

You really should not be political Bart. We don't wish anyone to come to st. barths that does not want to be here. so go elsewhere, plenty of beautiful places out there.

Again...be better; in general, Texas, specifically Austin, homes aren't built with basements.

:eyes-roll1:[/QUOTe

did you really think I meant an actual basement?

Based on the bold text below, yes.

Actually Dr. Fauci said this on march 8,2020 on a 60 minutes interview with no mention that the reason had anything to do with health workers needing the masks, he also said in the interview that wearing a mask might make you feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but its not providing the perfect protection that people think it might. you can watch the interview on youtube.

the cdc did not request that the average person wear a mask until april 3,2020, the cdc at that time said that face coverings in public settings should be worn. Dr. Fauci changed his tune after the cdc posted this. It was only later he said that there was a shortage for health workers.

by the way Bart, I have no reason to lie, this interview is out on the world wide web.

I'm leaving this exchange; my basement needs dusting.

This thread, once removed, is doing nothing to advance critical thinking and subsequent rational conversation.

Off to the dustbin!

Re: AirStMaarten confirms entry

It is true that a small number have been infected post-vaccine. But that is not what really matters.
No vaccine will be 100% effective at preventing infection but the current vaccines are extremely close to 100% effective at preventing death or even serious illness.
They are also highly effective at reducing transmission.
COVID is not likely to go away in our lifetime.
If we are going to wait to reopen the world until there is no chance of infection then the world has pretty much already ended as we knew it.
In an average year in the USA 40-50,000 die of the flu. We still try to live a normal life.
Among those who are vaccinated the annual death toll from COVID is going to be less than that.
When do we recognize that being vaccinated means being at acceptable risk. Those who don't get the vaccine will eventually get infected. Their choice. If you have been vaccinated this pandemic is essential over for you.
But focusing on extremely rare events like post-vaccine infection or transmission only hurts efforts to get people immunized and resume normal life

They are also highly effective at reducing transmission.

that may or may not be, but if so, why are some calling for those who have been injected to continue to wear their masks and to avoid gatherings?

that may or may not be, but if so, why are some calling for those who have been injected to continue to wear their masks and to avoid gatherings?

Actually the current recommendation is that if you are with other vaccinated people masks are not needed.

I think you run into a problem when you have 1/3 of the people running around without masks because they are immune but then expect the rest to comply with wearing masks. Vaccined are not yet available on demand for everyone who wants it.
Once we are well into that point then I think it becomes a reasonable debate as to whether masks should be required to protect those who refuse vaccinations.

But my larger point is simply that we need to start to recognize that there is now a sizable population of people who pose a very small risk and perhaps less aggressive measures make sense for that group.

I totally agree we need to protect those still vulnerable but wonder if angst about liberalized rules for those who don't pose a high risk also makes sense.
The evidence showing up in the medical literature is strongly indicating that vaccinated people not only have very low disease risk. They also are very unlikely to transmit the virus.

Too much of government policy us lagging behind the science.

Actually the current recommendation is that if you are with other vaccinated people masks are not needed.

one hears many, and often confused and conflicting, different things from various public officials. but if vaccination is so efficacious at prevention of transmission and prevention of contracting the C virus, why does it matter if others around an injected individual have received injections themselves or not?

one hears many, and often confused and conflicting, different things from various public officials. but if vaccination is so efficacious at prevention of transmission and prevention of contracting the C virus, why does it matter if others around an injected individual have received injections themselves or not?

For me, the CDC is the only true authority. Many regional and local rules and behavior may obsfucate the message.

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 8.44.37 AM.jpg

yes, this source verifies the post-vaccination restrictions I’m puzzled by.
for a treatment held by some to be so efficacious.

JEK- We agree- The CDC is our only source re Covid policies/recommendations as well as Bruno (government) for the status of the island- open or closed.

Re: Current Island Status

Test the unvaccinated islanders once a week. If they disagree they have to be quarantined.

perhaps we could hold them down and waterboard them first? didn't they do that in Cuba....that worked out well....lol.

there will always be people interested in preserving their civil liberties

Bingo. The thing that has been most dispiriting about the pandemic is discovering how many of my fellow citizens are more akin to sheep. I’m really hoping they are a minority and that once we hit June 1 when anyone who wants a vaccine has one...it’s time to let everyone back in the pool. Those who wish to stay home may do so...those who wish to wear a mask may do so...but the government should be out of it at that point.