I'm happy that St. Barths doesn't have....

Over the years I've heard people say they're glad this or that doesn't exist on the island. One that's come up a few times is a golf course, mainly due to the environmental impact, although I understand great strides have been made in becoming more environmentally responsible. I can think of a number of things but selfishly I would have to say a larger more accessible airport.

I must say that I respectfully disagree. One of the best moments of our trips are stepping down off the small plane and then wisking thru that small, but efficient airport. They made improvements over the last years and I think it works well. Certainly no one can wish that the airport is somehow made to fit larger airplanes.

I must say that I respectfully disagree. One of the best moments of our trips are stepping down off the small plane and then wisking thru that small, but efficient airport. They made improvements over the last years and I think it works well. Certainly no one can wish that the airport is somehow made to fit larger airplanes.

I understand the OP's post to state the he/she is "happy that St Barths doesn't have... a larger more accessible airport." I will stand corrected if necessary.

I am happy that St Barth doesn't have
1. golf course
2. all-inclusive resorts
3. mass transit system
4. theme parks
5. booze cruises
6. american-esque franchise eateries
7. big box stores

I could go on, but I'll let others add to the list.

sadly the island does need some sort of "mass transit" or public transportation.. the traffic and parking are horrendous and hopefully a shuttle system could help in some way.. with all the new (endless) construction there will simply be more and more cars and trucks...

And I am happy that the island doesn't have a land mass greater than 25 square kilometres, which prevents all of the above!

sadly the island does need some sort of "mass transit" or public transportation.. the traffic and parking are horrendous and hopefully a shuttle system could help in some way.. with all the new (endless) construction there will simply be more and more cars and trucks...

You have a point, mon amie. In my mind's eye, I was seeing the long accordion-style buses, underground/elevated trains, etc.

You have a point, mon amie. In my mind's eye, I was seeing the long accordion-style buses, underground/elevated trains, etc.

Sad that shuttle buses were attempted, but as I recall the taxi lobby ran them out of town!

I understand the OP's post to state the he/she is "happy that St Barths doesn't have... a larger more accessible airport." I will stand corrected if necessary.

1. golf course
2. all-inclusive resorts
3. mass transit system
4. theme parks
5. booze cruises
7. big box stores

You are absolutely right! I misunderstood poster's meaning in his last sentence. This is the result of replying before finishing my coffee! :biglaugh:

Let's see...I am happy that the island does not have big chain hotels with kids camps. Or Starbucks.

Please correct me if I am wrong. DId I hear that there was a golf course projected being built somewhere in Lurin back in the 80’s and the property was blown away by a hurricane. The locals decided not to rebuild because the destruction was an act of god? I am wondering if I dreamt that, heard that or hallucinated that after too many vanilla rums apres dinner at Eddies.

100% agreement. The traffic has become
a real disaster. We fondly remember the off-season calmness, of no construction and no cars.. Now it is non stop year long monster work trucks and giant suvs and traffic everywhere...

Could definitely see a non stop trolley style mass transit bus system, people hoping on and off along the way.

I am happy about the absence of large, flat-screen TVs hung from every ceiling corner of restaurants blaring sports events from around the globe. I can "somewhat" deal with them during the day, but at night the light pollution absolutely ruins the dining atmosphere.

1. golf course
2. all-inclusive resorts
3. mass transit system
4. theme parks
5. booze cruises
7. big box stores

:100::heart1::100: