Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I'm happy that St. Barths doesn't have....

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2017 NY Posts: 619

Re: I'm happy that St. Barths doesn't have....

Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    Attachment 56547
    or like the people’s bus in jamaica, mon

SBH Member Joined: Apr 2020 Boston Posts: 34

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post

At some point in time everyone will lose the battle to ban app based car services like uber. It's so much easier and more convenient when on vacation or really any time.
    They don't have to lose the battle if they don't want to. It is quite possible for a taxi company or group of taxi companies to attach a third-party ride hailing app to their business so that the taxis can provide their customers with all the benefits of the an uber/lyft-like app and experience but keep all the control and pricing etc local. It would be a good match for an island since there is no need to interoperate with the larger world and would be a great match for a rich island because in general people value the service over the price. As you mention, people would be thrilled to get driven into Gustavia at night for dinner with no parking worries and then be whisked home after dinner with no alcohol worries. I would be amused to hook this up if people thought it was a good idea and knew the right contact person in the St Barth taxi community to pitch it to. (Wow talk about hijacking a thread. Sorry....)

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 11,039

There are plenty of people who use taxis or the company called St Barth Mobility to get back and forth to dinner or other places on the island, you can call in advance and organize your pick-up. Not sure about the above comment about a "rich island"....there are a lot of residents on this island who are not "rich" - so perhaps the tourists value service over price but a local might not be able to afford Uber prices... especially if they "surge" when the tourists are here...

Quote Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
    They don't have to lose the battle if they don't want to. It is quite possible for a taxi company or group of taxi companies to attach a third-party ride hailing app to their business so that the taxis can provide their customers with all the benefits of the an uber/lyft-like app and experience but keep all the control and pricing etc local. It would be a good match for an island since there is no need to interoperate with the larger world and would be a great match for a rich island because in general people value the service over the price. As you mention, people would be thrilled to get driven into Gustavia at night for dinner with no parking worries and then be whisked home after dinner with no alcohol worries. I would be amused to hook this up if people thought it was a good idea and knew the right contact person in the St Barth taxi community to pitch it to. (Wow talk about hijacking a thread. Sorry....)
    Agree, that is why I said app based like uber instead of just saying uber and lyft. I think what you outlined would be great and work perfectly as an alternative to an "uber like" company/app coming in. There is a local app in Napa that does just this but I'm not sure exactly what the setup is or how it came about. But, it does require the drivers to come together and agree on some parameters. The only thing I would worry about would be the late night pickups and the number of drivers needed if something like this were to be implemented. For example, I've never used a driver on St Barths but would often if something like this were implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post
    There are plenty of people who use taxis or the company called St Barth Mobility to get back and forth to dinner or other places on the island, you can call in advance and organize your pick-up. Not sure about the above comment about a "rich island"....there are a lot of residents on this island who are not "rich" - so perhaps the tourists value service over price but a local might not be able to afford Uber prices... especially if they "surge" when the tourists are here...
    Surge pricing can be ridiculous and totally unfair, but in my experience, in general uber is cheaper. That is one of the reasons people like it. Also, the ease of using it is huge and of course the security of knowing who your driver is/was and paying right from the app instead of worrying about cash or even giving a cc is popular. But, it doesn't work everywhere of course.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,030

A few years back there was a St Barts Taxi app, but I don’t think that it took off.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 11,039

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    A few years back there was a St Barts Taxi app, but I don’t think that it took off.
    seemed like a good idea, and I think the hotels have something they use to get a taxi quickly for their guests...

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 53,579

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    Name:  8CC8409E-EEBC-4D61-9BF9-7C1F73869833.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  78.4 KB
    Still one showing up in Apps Store
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,030

The app that I downloaded years go was St Barts Taxi. The Instacab app is new to me.

Thanks for the 411 on the apps.
    If they exist or at least have in the past, it is a good sign that perhaps we may see a working app in the future. I know for me personally that would be a really good thing