My favorite island dessert

JEK

Senior Insider
F5549E53-2DE6-456E-BB9F-61CE5DDAACC6.jpeg

Aaahhhhh, yes . . . but I can't say that it's better than Maya's flourless chocolate cake!

RECIPE: MAYA’S WEST INDIAN ORANGE CAKE

May 13, 2016 by Kara Brooks 7 Comments

A recent (wonderful) trip to Maya’s Restaurant was one of the highlights from our April to St. Barts. Bob loved the traditional West Indian orange cake so I thought I would share Maya’s recipe which we first published in Paradise Found: The People, Restaurants and Recipes of St. Barthélemy back in 2003!

MAYA'S WEST INDIAN ORANGE CAKE

Serves 8
Cook Time 50 min Total Time 1 hr 5 min

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • Zest of four oranges
  • 5 large egg yolks
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 2 large egg whites

INSTRUCTIONS

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  • Cream the butter, sugar and orange zest until fluffy. Mix in one egg yolk at a time.
  • In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Alternating between the dry ingredients and the orange juice, gradually add both to the butter mixture, mixing well. Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it and then gently fold in the remaining whites.
  • Pour batter into a greased 9-inch tube pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the top comes out clean.

NOTES

• Delicious with vanilla rum!

By Maya Gurley

While we've enjoyed both cake offerings, Maya's chocolate cake is my go-to dessert there every single time. Wish I had me a piece right now! Who cares it's only 8:20 a.m.!!
;)

Laughing. Phil too finds it heavy as a breakfast choice, but every once in a while he deals with it.

Gayle and Amy....I could suffer through a slice of Maya's chocolate cake for breakfast once in a while. :blush-smile:

If you're jonesing for it, the recipe for the orange cake that Jeanette posted (and in the cookbook) is easy and replicates the "real" one well...of course minus the amazing setting. And it IS delicious with vanilla rum!

But where is the recipe for that syrup that you pour over the cake that's in that little pitcher? Without the syrup, its just a piece of cake. I've seen that recipe for the cake before and without the syrup, it's only half baked.

Ingredients

• ¾ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • ⅓ cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 pinch salt
  • ¾ cup cold water
  • 2 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons finely shredded orange peel
  • 2 fluid ounces triple sec (Optional)

Directions

• Step 1 Bring orange juice, sugar, butter, and salt to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat.

• Step 2 Whisk cold water and cornstarch in a small bowl; whisk cornstarch mixture into the simmering sauce until thickened and no longer cloudy.
  • Step 3 Remove sauce from heat and stir in orange peel and triple sec. Serve warm.

Thanks John, I am at work and don't have access to my cookbooks. I think I might make it this weekend.

It all sounds delightful! Will give it a try on Saturday. It'll be a bit of sunshine during a gloomy, rainy upcoming weekend!