Transat info- May 9 start

andynap

Senior Insider
25B5F92B-8D05-4875-BDFF-798942257AC9.jpeg

THE 15TH EDITION OF THE TRANSAT IS (ALMOST) LAUNCHED & by Clément MALAOUI ON 04/06/2021
Skippers, sponsors and organizers met in Rennes on March 30 to present the 15th edition of the Double Transat Concarneau-Saint Barthélemy. A race that is changing its name, which will see new generation Figaros compete for the win, but which keeps the course unchanged. Eric Peron and Miguel Danet will be there and hope to relive the same finish as in 2008. 1095 days, almost three years to the day. This is the time that will have elapsed at the start of this double-handed Transat on May 9 from the port of Concarneau, since the arrival of Thomas Rettant and Adrien Hardy in Gustavia. At the time, this Atlantic crossing was called Transat AG2R-La Mondiale. Since then, the sponsor has withdrawn, which will not revolutionize anything, sporting in any case. As for the last editions, the fleet will leave from Concarneau, to arrive at the port of Gustavia, bypassing La Palma, by the east. “Which makes a total of 3890 nautical miles (a little over 7204 km), in terms of the most optimal route,” announces Francs Le Goff, the race director. And precisely, if the course does not change, it is in order to be able to compare.
Compare the times of the last edition, the last of the Figaro II, with this first race of the third generation boats. “The record is a little over 18 days (18 days, 11 hours and 48 minutes, established by Thomas Rettant and Adrien Hardy, in 2018, editor's note), we hope that these boats do as well, explains Francis Le Goff. That's why there is this point in La Palma, to compare the performances of the two generations. For the moment, the Figaro IIIs have achieved a maximum of four nights in the race, so that will multiply this temporality at least by four, we'll see how they react. “That promises, when we know the difficulty we had for the skippers, in 2018, to overcome the very complex conditions of the Golf de Gascogne. Several abandonments were to be deplored during this terrible night off the Portuguese coast.
In any case, to handle these new machines, there will be quality skippers, the very best. “They are the best in the world in the Beneteau class,” says Pep Costa, a 22-year-old Spaniard, whose first participation will be, stars in his eyes. The winner of the Solo Maître Coq (stage race from March 19 to 28, 2021), Tom Laperche, in duo a with Loïs Berrehar, will be the favorite, like many other crews. Like Martin Le Pape: “With Yann Elies, we come to win it. "

Miguel Danet and Eric Peron hope to do as well as their third place in 2008. “This finish was great,” recalls Eric Peron. And the memory of the podium with Erwan Tabarly 2012 remains engraved. I like this race, Miguel is always up for it. This year, it was complicated to travel, but soon we will be able to make up for our preparation. "" So it was not won, but there was enthusiasm on the part of the partners for this race, rejoices Hervé Favre, president of OC Sport Pen Duick, organizer of the race. We realized this when its maintenance was still pending.
This is the first transatlantic race for the Figaro IIIs who have never crossed the Atlantic, and the field already has 17 boats. Not to mention that we may still have a few registrations. This represents 34 skippers, it is identical to a race like the Solitaire du Figaro. These ambassadors of the sea have a role to play. “You are doing good,” said the president of the Brittany region, Loïg Chesnais-Girardin, who continues: “This Transat has made names known. We need these great races. It also makes it possible to promote the territory. "Same story on the other side of the Atlantic:" We are working well here to make this event wonderful, assures Nils Dufau, president of the Saint-Barthélemy Tourism Committee. We will do it, and 2021 will be a year of celebration of sailing and freedom.
“Roll on May 9!

journaldesainttbarth-1422-1-20210506112438.jpg

The 36 skippers ready for crossing!

Since Friday, the eighteen Figaro 3 of the Double Transat - Concarneau - Saint-Barthe- Lemy has arrived in the Port of Concarneau. For its 15th edition, because of the health context, the event will occur exceptionally in camera. While the fleet will remain at the pontoon, the sailors them, are forced to a "strongly recommended" containment while adjusting the last details before the big departure, Sunday, May 9th.
Formerly Called Transat Ag2r-La Global and Transat Lorient-Saint-Barth, Double Concarceau Transat - Saint-Barth is a duplicate race that is normally distinguished every two years, in April-May, between Brittany and Saint-Barthe- Lemy. Normally scheduled in April 2020, the organizers had to repulse the departure of one year following the pandemic. This race is the only duple sailing test without stop and equal weapons.
It is aboard the Figaro Nouple Generation that the thirty-six Skippers are competing with the wins, on an unchanged course. 3.890 miles (7.205 kilometers) with a trademark at La Palma (CANADIES). Figaro Bénéteau 3 is a monohull in Foils. The form of Foils of Figaro 3 is different from that of the new generation boats of the Vendée Globe. "It is carved to go faster but requires more attention during maneuvers and further solicits the sailors physically," explains the race director, Francis Le Goff.
After confining, in accordance with the recommendations of the French Federation of Sailing, the sailors will have to submit to two tests: a PCR this Friday (May 7) and then an antigenic test on Sunday morning, a few hours from the departure. "We can not take any risk in this area, it would be too dangerous for their health to leave by being positive in Covid- 19, entrusts the Director of Race, Francis Le Goff to France3 Brittany. It is reassuring: "All skippers are conscientious and no one wants to stay in quay. I know they will do everything to take the least possible risk. »
A seasoned browser pleasant
Among them, some big names in the world of sailing, Gildas Mahé, Yann Eliès, or
Still Fabien Delahaye Wandering in 2010 of the Transat Ag2r La Global with Armel Le Cléac'h. Over the eighteen crews, twelve have an experience of the course. For its eighth transat in Double Eric Peron will be in pairs with the child of Saint-Barth, Miguel Dane on (Egoiste) La Cantina. The duo knows itself well since, explains Eric Peron: "It will be our third transat together with Miguel. We are mutually confident and we sail together regularly, we know on board, he helps to build strategic reasoning and make the right choices. And as it is Saint-Barth, the welcome is always formable on arrival. »
On the side of the Bretons, the transat is a race that defection gildas maheé. "Because she runs down in duplicate, he says. In terms of exchanges, technical progression and then in a humane most, it brings me a lot. I have lots of very good memories on this race, but if I had to cite that one would be our daily jokes with Jean Le Cam at the 2014 edition. We laughed from the first day. And I also learned a lot with him! After a second place in 2016 with Nicolas Lunven and a third in 2018 with Nicolas Troussel, he gildas Mahé will show on the podium this year with his co-teammate another Concarnois, Tom Dolan? "I would be very happy to make a new podium! I am on two podiums in a row, I miss a walk, the first. After the level goes
Once again be high so I do not move too much, but we will give everything with Tom to get the most beautiful place possible! »
Gildas Mahé will have to keep an eye on the duo Yann Eliès / Martin the Pope among others. The latter is ready to take revenge. Indeed at the previous edition Martin Le Pape, in the running with Yoann Richomme, had dismounted off Portugal. For its part the double holder of the Jules Vernes (2002 and 2005) does not hide his desire to win. "I participated twice in the race and she did not necessarily have succeeded. (7E 2000 with Ronan Guerin on Generali Assurances, and 19th in 2010 with Jérémie Beyou on Generali Europ Assistance, NDLR) I too have a revenge to take. We are here for the wins! In recent years, I have been making more and more tasteful navigation: I would like this pleasure to materialize by a victory! »
A transat and
unknowns
But all the sailors go with the same unknown. Sor- tis early 2019, Figaro Bénéteau 3 will make their first transatlantic. "We still have unknowns in Gesti

The photo of the arrival in a previous year is the way we wish it could be. It will be interesting to compare that photo to one of the arrival during this ‘pandemic’ year.

The depart of the Transat was delayed from Sunday May 9 until Wednesday May 12 due to bad weather - winds of 40 to 50 knots and waves of 4 to 5 meters.. and 58°F with rain... the organizers went for the safety of the crews in their small boats... stay tune til Wednesday!

The Transat en Double Concarneau - St-Barthélemy is underway after a further delay of a few hours to accommodate an Argentinean military ship (some are built in Concarneau).

For race status see https://www.transatendouble.bzh/

Tonights racing conditions have been variously described as "rock 'n roll" and "sporty".

The "local" team of L'Égoïste - Cantina St Barth (Eric Péron/Miguel Danet) is in 11th place, with lots of time (about 3 weeks) and lots of miles (3843.5nm) left for them to catch up and pass the leader.

There's not much to see in this graphic, but it does show the 11th place team, 0.9nm back.

TED21.jpg

Most of the TED21 boats have rounded Cape Finisterre on the northwest corner of the Iberian Peninsula. Most have decided to stay inside of the Finisterre TSS, the lightly shaded box in the attached image, but two have chosen to go outside. The TSS (DST in French) is an area with heavy shipping traffic, which is split into north and south lanes. My recollection is that a TED21 boat which strays into the TSS incurs a penalty.

8D049C22-E4DC-48D0-96FA-C5FC4634F40F.jpg

This will give an idea of how far they’ve sailed so far, from Concarneau, across the Bay of Biscay, to Cape Finisterre.

4DE0A087-94B2-4A28-8417-4C30800717ED.jpg

And how far they still have to go…

EE563F9C-F99B-4A4F-A1B9-16912610F17C.jpg

I feel a game of chance is in our future. Time to dust off the Tim T. rules! I’m sure WIMCO will provide a suitable reward!

Here are the rules:

Contest Rules

The contest is to pick the winning TED21 (Transat en Double - Concarneau-Saint-Barthélemy 2021) boat and closest time of arrival as recorded at the official arrival in St. Barth. Each member can pick only one boat and one arrival time in even hours. Once a member picks that boat and time, no member can pick that boat within one hour of the original entry. For example, Tim picks -

GEDIMAT 14:00 APRIL 27, 2014 Tim

JEK could later pick the same boat but only so long as the arrival time was one hour different, e.g. -

GEDIMAT 15:00 APRIL 27, 2014 JEK

Dennis could then pick-

GEDIMAT 13:00 APRIL 27, Dennis

If GEDIMAT comes in ahead of the fleet at 13:31 on April 27, Tim wins the grand prize - except that Tim, as a moderator, is disqualified.

The opportunity to pick your winners WILL BE ANNOUNCED when the first vessel is within approximately 1,000 miles of St. Barth. That opportunity will close once the first vessel is within 500 miles of St. Barth. Those parameters should present a window of at least 48 hours in which to choose your winner.

I changed the old AGR2 to TED21 (Transat en Double - Concarneau - Saint-Barthélemy 2021, which loosely translates to a 2-person crew, in a trans-Atlantic Race, from Concarneau in Brittany to St. Barth). The old rules may need a tweak, but they are a good place to start. Perhaps tighten the window to something less than 1000nm - 500nm to let everyone have a smaller window of wind/weather conditions to look at. The current window favors late pickers.

I'll start a new thread tomorrow, and provide updates every day or so.

The race moves on, but I’m lagging. What I intended to be a post about the contest hasn’t happened, and won’t today.

As to TED21, most of the fleet has sailed outside of the TSS at Cape Roca, the westernmost point of continental Europe. They are now passing the TSS at Cape St Vincent. The trailing boats, for whom I have much respect, are 100+nm back.

The “local” guys, Eric and most definitely local Miguel, have moved up into 2nd place, which is an outstanding move, even at this early stage.

A35E7464-1538-469C-A0F0-F977AB2BFAA0.jpg

Ooh, I love this one! The local boys have moved into the lead, neck and neck with one of the three teams with a woman in the crew! Go Miguel! Go Violette!

4FAA61D3-F18E-4991-B2E3-B181FAB4C847.jpg