CDC guidance changes, now if Saint Barth recognizes vaccinations, a game changer

JEK

Senior Insider
For domestic travel, people who are two weeks past their final shot do not need to get a coronavirus test before or after trips and do not need to self-quarantine after travel. That means grandparents who are fully vaccinated can fly to visit their grandchildren without getting a coronavirus test or self-quarantining, provided they follow the other recommended public health measures, such as wearing masks on planes, buses, trains and other forms of public transportation.

For international travel, fully vaccinated people do not need to be tested before their trips unless it is required by the destination, the guidance says. For their return to the United States, fully vaccinated people should get tested and have a negative result before they board an international flight back to the United States.

Nearly 40 percent of all adults have received at least one dose of a vaccine and more than 1 in 5 adults are now fully vaccinated, including more than half of seniors, according to the CDC. On Friday, the United States is expected to pass the milestone of 100 million people getting at least one dose.

WaPo and every other outlet reporting

I'm not sure what has changed? I didn't think you needed a PCR test for domestic travel, and it appears that we will still need a PCR test to get back in the US? Oh, I see, some of the requirements are "recommended" rather than required.

I'm not sure what has changed? I didn't think you needed a PCR test for domestic travel, and it appears that we will still need a PCR test to get back in the US? Oh, I see, some of the requirements are "recommended" rather than required.

We didn't need a PCR (or any) test to fly back to the US after our Thanksgiving trip to SBH.

We are traveling in a few weeks and need a negative test (antigen or PCR) to return to the US from Mexico. I am wondering if our vaccine status will change this. I was inspired by Dennis' recent review of his trip to Mexico, and after landing vaccination appointments this week, booked a trip following our second shots. The Rosewood Resort offered us free on-site testing before we travel home and this looks standard for the resorts we considered.

We realize that SBH could be open within two weeks of our trip, but decided on Mexico anyway. The thought of exploring someplace new, plus immersion in the Mexican and Mayan cultures has us excited.

We didn't need a PCR (or any) test to fly back to the US after our Thanksgiving trip to SBH.

We are traveling in a few weeks and need a negative test (antigen or PCR) to return to the US from Mexico. I am wondering if our vaccine status will change this. I was inspired by Dennis' recent review of his trip to Mexico, and after landing vaccination appointments this week, booked a trip following our second shots. The Rosewood Resort offered us free on-site testing before we travel home and this looks standard for the resorts we considered.

We realize that SBH could be open within two weeks of our trip, but decided on Mexico anyway. The thought of exploring someplace new, plus immersion in the Mexican and Mayan cultures has us excited.

I think this is step one to a vaccine passport. I don't think our Federal government will create one, but I think the vaccine card, or a 3rd party passport provider will be in our near future. NYS has one now.

I think the only reason you didn't need a test coming from SBH is that San Juan is a loophole via Tradewind, normally all international travel requires a test
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-air-travel.html
[FONT=&quot]All air passengers coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens, are [/FONT][FONT=&quot]required[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to have a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before they board a flight to the United States. See the [/FONT]Frequently Asked Questions[FONT=&quot] for more information.[/FONT]

I hate to split hairs but I have a question. I've read the CDC info. and it appears as if a negative antigen is good enough to get back into the US. Is this accurate or do I need a negative PCR test. Also, I just had my second Moderna shot and does anybody know I will now test positive on an antigen test?

When I recently departed SBH and returned to the US through SJU, I was told that the antigen test was sufficient . . . which I got at the drug store across from the airport. Results available in 30 minutes. In fact, no one ever asked to see that I had test results. My understanding from my Dr is that one will not test positive for Covid as a result of being vaccinated.

I'm confused by the OP's Domestic announcement. As of 4/1, NYS (which has been one of the stricter States), no longer requires a negative COVID test nor quarantine for domestic travel from a non-contiguous State. It is still recommend but not required.

So without researching and going off the top of my head (very dangerous of course) I think the issue here is the use of the term "Guidance" in the thread title. Unfortunately Guidance is meaningless unless it's adopted as mandatory by a State or other entity. Correct me if I'm wrong but there have been no changes nationally to what is required for domestic travel and neither a quarantine nor a negative test result was or is needed unless the destination requires it. Just to make it clear to the reader.

note: someone please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll delete this so I do not mislead anyone.

I’m the OP and I saw this as a big change from CDC guidelines. Before, CDC was saying you could see unvaccinated grandchildren, but not fly to see them. They were also reserving judgment on the long term efficacy of the vaccine to prevent asymptomatic carriers, thus testing/quarantine required. I saw this as another step toward vaccination registration and travel free from PCR tests. Not there yet, but I’m betting that is outcome for international travel. Stay tuned.

I hate to split hairs but I have a question. I've read the CDC info. and it appears as if a negative antigen is good enough to get back into the US. Is this accurate or do I need a negative PCR test. Also, I just had my second Moderna shot and does anybody know I will now test positive on an antigen test?

Antigen test was all we needed to get back from Mexico the other day. Most all decent resorts in Mexico are offering the services free of charge on site too. Also, they looked at the test results at the airline counter in Mexico. We didn't show the test results, nor did anyone ask for them upon arrival at U.S. customs.

CDC guidance will impact state and even workplace requirements (previously we required employees who travelled to quarantine upon return, which is among several reasons I haven't seen my parents in over a year) as they continue to be refined with new/better information.

The early research in vaccine efficacy is very positive, but obviously incomplete.

And if you are wondering if vaccination will cause you to test positive, you should read THIS because it is an amazing and interesting insight into the scientific process...and how lucky we are to have brilliant people from all over the world working to keep us safe.

It’s not a game changer if you’re traveling to Florida (and many other places).
No requirements either way.

I think the only reason you didn't need a test coming from SBH is that San Juan is a loophole via Tradewind, normally all international travel requires a test
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-air-travel.html
All air passengers coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens, are required to have a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before they board a flight to the United States. See the Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

Hi Ellen,

We traveled home through SXM, not SJU and no testing was required to enter the US. I think this was because our point of origin was SBH, which was considered a low risk area at the time. This was during Thanksgiving week and guidelines could have changed since then.