Council meeting tonight-3/29

andynap

Senior Insider
Nothing about reopening

8A1DA157-8642-4FB0-8854-4F73B2726BAF.jpeg
EB78401C-E0A1-40A5-8E94-A9A09D263245.jpeg
11C90E82-4779-4E9B-9349-47F4DA79F4E2.jpeg
16CA58CC-9803-4B3D-8923-75426D740407.jpeg

I didn’t expect to see anything on the agenda regarding reopening.

My recollection is that the Collectivité bought additional testing equipment, but that there are insufficient qualified personnel to utilize it, and a failure to recruit additional qualified personnel. This, despite the Collectivité being willing to guarantee housing for recruited staff.

La Métropole/La Hexagon seems to be focused on vaccination, not on increased testing of either locals or visitors.

some of the locals will not get tested because if they do and they test positive, then they would not be allowed to go to work for awhile, its a real catch-22.

... La Métropole/La Hexagon seems to be focused on vaccination, not on increased testing of either locals or visitors.

French vaccination efforts should be bolstered in the near term by delivery of the single-dose J&J vaccine in mid April (2.7 million dises is the hope) and beginning production of Pfizer (early April) and Moderna (perhaps in April) vaccines at facilities in France. Another vaccine, CureVac (mRNA), that ihas a French production facility is anticipated by June.

some of the locals will not get tested because if they do and they test positive, then they would not be allowed to go to work for awhile, its a real catch-22.

Yes, the more testing, the more cases that are found.

This morning Caribbean Journal... St Barth is eyeing a tourism reopening in mid-May, according to the island’s tourism officials. The destination has been closed fro tourism since early February.
The French government has mandated that St Barth will need to implement a “strong and immediate” vaccination campaign for the borders to reopen.
That campaign, organized by the French government, will last for two to three weeks starting on April 19, with availability to all eligible adults.

The goal will then be to reopen St Barth’s borders for tourism by mid-May if all goes according to plan.

everyone should be vaccinated that wishes to be vaccinated, its the quickest way to open the island. after that then herd immunity can take care of the rest. I am a firm believer in herd immunity. anyone who has health issues should be vaccinated.

everyone should be vaccinated that wishes to be vaccinated, its the quickest way to open the island. after that then herd immunity can take care of the rest. I am a firm believer in herd immunity. anyone who has health issues should be vaccinated.

Herd immunity requires a large % of the population be vaccinated. The alternative is a large % of the population be infected and survive. Seems like vaccination is the safer route.

Nature is pessimistic either way.

as Diana said, those with health issues need to seek vaccination or take special precautions. younger, healthy people are largely not overly concerned with “surviving” a positive test result.

Doctor Salk worked to develop the polio vaccine for around 2 and a half years, and then it was tested for a year after it was developed. If you cannot see the difference here, then I cannot explain it to you.

Doctor Salk worked to develop the polio vaccine for around 2 and a half years, and then it was tested for a year after it was developed. If you cannot see the difference here, then I cannot explain it to you.

in addition, the small pox death rate was 30% and those who survived were often blind or disfigured.
a whole nother thing. It’s all about perceived risk.

The difference is over 50 years of collaborative science and technology. You really should read this book I just finished.

This morning Caribbean Journal... St Barth is eyeing a tourism reopening in mid-May, according to the island’s tourism officials. The destination has been closed fro tourism since early February.
The French government has mandated that St Barth will need to implement a “strong and immediate” vaccination campaign for the borders to reopen.
That campaign, organized by the French government, will last for two to three weeks starting on April 19, with availability to all eligible adults.

The goal will then be to reopen St Barth’s borders for tourism by mid-May if all goes according to plan.

Sooo it sounds like I should no longer be optimistic about an April 25th arrival date 😕

The difference is over 50 years of collaborative science and technology. You really should read this book I just finished.

Is the book called the Blind leading the Blind?

Doctor Gregory Michael died after getting the vaccine, his death is still being investigated. Pfizer said even if the vaccine caused his death, the percentage of this side effect happening to others is low.

I am all for people getting the vaccine that wants it. Diana out!

There is an article in "Pathology of Global Health" from Oct. 2013. The study cited 767 cases of AEFI (vaccine reactions) after patients in the Congo received the oral polio vaccine, including two cases of paralysis. Their conclusion was that adverse reactions were not uncommon and were probably under reported. The benefit of the Polio vaccine worldwide has been almost immeasurable in spite of these unfortunate events but we should not resign ourselves to allow pathogens to kill millions of people because of a small number of adverse events. The polio vaccine is not perfect but the Covid mRNA is about as close to perfect as you can get.

Dennis is reading that book now and I'm up next. He loves it and as a chemist and drug discoverer, has huge admiration for Jennifer Doudna and Emmanuelle Charpentier for their contributions to CRISPR.

So the re-opening of our fair isle is in the hands of its people to do the right thing and get vaccinated. That seems like a fair and reasonable approach.