Restaurants/hotels closing?

nicoleshein

SBH Member
We got a message from Le Sereno that given the current uncertainties, they’ve decided to close until October 28. I’m wondering whether other hotels and restaurants will be following suit? We are still holding out hope for a late July visit, with Anguilla as a back up if the island is still closed to American travellers. Fingers crossed!

We got a message from Le Sereno that given the current uncertainties, they’ve decided to close until October 28. I’m wondering whether other hotels and restaurants will be following suit? We are still holding out hope for a late July visit, with Anguilla as a back up if the island is still closed to American travellers. Fingers crossed!

I posted a couple of weeks ago about hotels starting to close. they have no choice, no customers and they still have to pay the staff.

I posted a couple of weeks ago about hotels starting to close. they have no choice, no customers and they still have to pay the staff.
So true. We are due to be at CEC for the last three weeks in April. If St. Barts isn't open by then we have no interest of spending those weeks in St Marten. Would rather go to Jupiter FL. and visit friends. We already had our rental car broken into on St. Marten. Never happened in Jupiter.

Sorry to read about your problem in St. Maarten Hawke. Unfortunately I think you may not make to SBH in April. Fingers crossed though.

St Barth is an interesting case study in how a small closed off community with plenty of education and resources can fail to stop the spread. I'm not blaming anyone--the opposite in fact. We all (myself included) tend to believe that if people would just do this or just don't do that then the spread would stop but it seems reality is much more subtle. Here in Boston EVERYONE is wearing masks so clearly that is not the magic bullet. In St Barth they are following their own particular (and peculiar?) path and are equally unsuccessful.

I'll repeat (don't read this Hawke--trigger warning) Grand Case in St Martin was a surprise success for us. It very much fit the description of "St Barth before all the glitzy people spoiled it" theme that is sometimes wished for. Of course it helps that St Martin is running at less than half capacity so there were no crowds anywhere and I am pointedly not recommending Sint Maarten, because it felt like an American mall or Orient Bay because I haven't seen it but have heard unpleasant rumors. But I can't imagine anyone going to Happy Bay or Baie Rouge and not feeling like they were at Columbier, Saline or Gouveneur. And of course it is not the same--it is it's own different adventure, but some similar traits shine through. Our standard St Barth trip of croissant and cafe au lait in the morning and a bagette sandwich for lunch at an empty beach followed by a nice dinner in town worked out 100%. We added in some very nice waterfront lunches and sunset dinners that are not normally part of our St Barth trips. We were paranoid about rental car break-in which we solved by renting with $0 deductible and not leaving anything in the car. We were cautious but had no scary crime fearing moments. That doesn't mean no one would ever have an issue of course. Just that we, and others we interacted with, did not. Sorry to be redundant, but every time I see someone blanket panning the place I worry that others, who might be more open, might miss out.

St Barth is an interesting case study in how a small closed off community with plenty of education and resources can fail to stop the spread. I'm not blaming anyone--the opposite in fact. We all (myself included) tend to believe that if people would just do this or just don't do that then the spread would stop but it seems reality is much more subtle. Here in Boston EVERYONE is wearing masks so clearly that is not the magic bullet. In St Barth they are following their own particular (and peculiar?) path and are equally unsuccessful.

I'll repeat (don't read this Hawke--trigger warning) Grand Case in St Martin was a surprise success for us. It very much fit the description of "St Barth before all the glitzy people spoiled it" theme that is sometimes wished for. Of course it helps that St Martin is running at less than half capacity so there were no crowds anywhere and I am pointedly not recommending Sint Maarten, because it felt like an American mall or Orient Bay because I haven't seen it but have heard unpleasant rumors. But I can't imagine anyone going to Happy Bay or Baie Rouge and not feeling like they were at Columbier, Saline or Gouveneur. And of course it is not the same--it is it's own different adventure, but some similar traits shine through. Our standard St Barth trip of croissant and cafe au lait in the morning and a bagette sandwich for lunch at an empty beach followed by a nice dinner in town worked out 100%. We added in some very nice waterfront lunches and sunset dinners that are not normally part of our St Barth trips. We were paranoid about rental car break-in which we solved by renting with $0 deductible and not leaving anything in the car. We were cautious but had no scary crime fearing moments. That doesn't mean no one would ever have an issue of course. Just that we, and others we interacted with, did not. Sorry to be redundant, but every time I see someone blanket panning the place I worry that others, who might be more open, might miss out.

Bravo!

So nice to read a post like this. Instead of complaining about where you can't go, go someplace you can and enjoy it!

Thanks for sharing your positive experience!

glad you had fun Happycamper! I also believe that sxm gets a bad rap most of the time. Its a fun place to visit, when I do get over there, I love having lunch at La Samanna.

Dennis-
I agree with you.
Some of our Forum members have been making fun with their posts of the names of Petite Anse and Grand Cul De Sac and so on.
The island is special and it’s people are suffering. For us Forum members to sit and make what we might say are vulgar interpretations/comments toward the places we love is unfortunate. I ask that we all stop this and enjoy the place we love.

Dennis-
I agree with you.
Some of our Forum members have been making fun with their posts of the names of Petite Anse and Grand Cul De Sac and so on.
The island is special and it’s people are suffering. For us Forum members to sit and make what we might say are vulgar interpretations/comments toward the places we love is unfortunate. I ask that we all stop this and enjoy the place we love.

Hopie,

All the fun is made of the terrible Facebook translation from French to English, not our beautiful island locale. Plus, the quoted text (well done Dennis on the quote function) is about another nearby island, which is frequently maligned.

I’m probably too sensitive. Even if the translation is off, why make fun of it- it risks making fun of the language, the island, it’s locations and it’s people. References have continued to be made on threads that are not connected to the translations. Let’s just stop it. You- JEK, Tim and Dennis can help. It is what Ouanalao is.

I’m probably too sensitive. Even if the translation is off, why make fun of it- it risks making fun of the language, the island, it’s locations and it’s people. References have continued to be made on threads that are not connected to the translations. Let’s just stop it. You- JEK, Tim and Dennis can help. It is what Ouanalao is.

Tim has retired and Dennis is a major contributor to pointing out these idiosyncratic malapropisms. Me too. Relax and enjoy the Forum.

Come Oct..they will be in same situation Key West is in....lose all your regular employees, they leave the island, most never come back.....you can open but cannot service the crowds....

Come Oct..they will be in same situation Key West is in....lose all your regular employees, they leave the island, most never come back.....you can open but cannot service the crowds....

no, thats not how it works here. most of their staff leave in low season anyway and then come back in oct.

Have they failed to stop the spread, and is that the real reason the island is shut down for only essential travel???? I haven't seen any of the regular posters here who live on the island mention anything about a dire situation on St. Barths regarding the virus. Magras is threatening French officials that he will take matters into his own hands and reopen the island. He seems to indicate that the motherland has way over reacted in regards to shutting down St. Barths.....and I agree with him.

So true. We are due to be at CEC for the last three weeks in April. If St. Barts isn't open by then we have no interest of spending those weeks in St Marten. Would rather go to Jupiter FL. and visit friends. We already had our rental car broken into on St. Marten. Never happened in Jupiter.
St. Martin,
Rule #1, never leave anything of value in your rental car. We have never had our car broken into.
Rule #2, stay on the French side of the island.
Walk to beach every day.

We have had a number of car thefts in our neighborhood. People (neighbors) leaving the key fob in the unlocked car. In one case a wallet with credit cards was left in the car too..

The local police held a Zoom seminar on prevention.
Slide 1.

1.jpeg

I find it very sad and troubling.

Better safe than sorry. Take your belongings and lock up.

But to me it is the lack of decency and the lawlessness of the perpetrator not the carelessness of the car owner that is the crime.

Hi rolltide, Sorry if my musings somehow hit a nerve. I didn't say anything about a "dire situation" with Covid on St Barth or that I approved of France cutting St Barth off from the rest of the world. I was just noting that we have an interesting case scientifically of a small mostly isolated community largely that has not been able to knock covid out. Does it show that all the anti-travel rules are not useful in covid reduction? Or is it that St Barth travelers have found so many exceptions that really there is a steady flow of sickness coming and going? Or something else? Anyway, just trying to think outside the box.

The thing I find particularly egregious about France locking down St Barth is that for mainland France they allow the neighboring countries access in and out of France, but for Outre-Mer, they do not. So it is definitely a case of mainland France not being willing to take the same restrictions that they are forcing on Outre-Mer.

Have they failed to stop the spread, and is that the real reason the island is shut down for only essential travel???? I haven't seen any of the regular posters here who live on the island mention anything about a dire situation on St. Barths regarding the virus. Magras is threatening French officials that he will take matters into his own hands and reopen the island. He seems to indicate that the motherland has way over reacted in regards to shutting down St. Barths.....and I agree with him.

You just need to look at Instagram posts from SB to know how covid is spreading and will continue to spread. The major partying and gatherings of the younger locals. There was a party this weekend with 50-75 people all unmasked and seemingly oblivious to any protocols. At this rate it will take months for the island to reopen. How selfish.

Hi rolltide, Sorry if my musings somehow hit a nerve. I didn't say anything about a "dire situation" with Covid on St Barth or that I approved of France cutting St Barth off from the rest of the world. I was just noting that we have an interesting case scientifically of a small mostly isolated community largely that has not been able to knock covid out. Does it show that all the anti-travel rules are not useful in covid reduction? Or is it that St Barth travelers have found so many exceptions that really there is a steady flow of sickness coming and going? Or something else? Anyway, just trying to think outside the box.

The thing I find particularly egregious about France locking down St Barth is that for mainland France they allow the neighboring countries access in and out of France, but for Outre-Mer, they do not. So it is definitely a case of mainland France not being willing to take the same restrictions that they are forcing on Outre-Mer.

No, sorry if it came off wrong. It seems as if everyone is trying to blame someone for the island being closed, including me. Magras blames the overseas minister, the minister is blaming the 60+ age group living on the island for not getting vaccinated and he throws it back in Bruno's lap, and then that age group is blaming the younger "no mask, party crowd".....it seems to go around in circles.

I get it, as I live on an island in Texas that is probably half the size of SB (and in no way am I comparing the two islands). The party crowd is out in full force here right now with Spring Break, and Texas doesn't have a mask mandate. On top of that we have Semana Santa going on which is anything but semana. I don't really like it, but I don't really care as I don't go near the crowds. I have been vaccinated, I still wear my mask indoors, and I feel safe. You are not going to stop those gatherings from happening, at least not for very long. Most everyone I know in Texas that has Covid concerns has been vaccinated or at least received their first dose, but I understand it is different on SB.

With that said, if I were a permanent resident of St. Barths I wouldn't necessarily want the borders back open but it wouldn't be because I was concerned about Covid.

Anyway cheers, and if you hear about someone using their sanity as their compelling reason to enter St. Barths it was me.