The Bernier’s of Grand Fond

JEK

Senior Insider
5FF18199-DBB4-4367-93BD-7C7BFC194D0F.jpegA9C951F1-5BB2-4F67-B4CD-5F34FC2F5FAF.jpegD2A9A91F-D48C-4D5E-ABF3-5C4CBFF9FD79.jpeg

Ellen, what can you tell us about the shop?

In the old days every neighborhood had a little shop like that. This one belonged to Helene’s grandfather Norbert Bernier. Sadly it is empty and in need of total renovation. There is a similar one across from Eden Rock in better shape... it would be great if the family decided to bring this one back to its former glory. Could be a cute bungalow. Its tragic that all the old traditional architecture is being swept away..

Along the same lines, little by little the old stone walls of the island are disappearing as the roads are widened. This has been discussed in other threads.

10 or so years ago we stayed at Helene Bernier's bungalow directly across the street from Eden Roc. People watching is my sport, oh the fun stories I make up :) So, I was ecstatic to be front and center of Eden Roc. I believe Helene may have been working as a seamstress in Lorient and her daughter was helping her manage and clean the bungalow, my memory may not be correct. But, I thought these lovely humble women have land across from one of the most luxurious hotels on this luxurious wealthy island. LIFE IS GOOD! Whenever we return I always hold my breath as the spot comes into view hoping that the bungalow hasn't been replaced with a Vineyard Vines. I never want it to go away.

10 or so years ago we stayed at Helene Bernier's bungalow directly across the street from Eden Roc. People watching is my sport, oh the fun stories I make up :) So, I was ecstatic to be front and center of Eden Roc. I believe Helene may have been working as a seamstress in Lorient and her daughter was helping her manage and clean the bungalow, my memory may not be correct. But, I thought these lovely humble women have land across from one of the most luxurious hotels on this luxurious wealthy island. LIFE IS GOOD! Whenever we return I always hold my breath as the spot comes into view hoping that the bungalow hasn't been replaced with a Vineyard Vines. I never want it to go away.

I think you have your people confused, this Helene Bernier does not own that house, nor is she a seamstress, or have a daughter old enough to help manage a house.. you are probably thinking of Aline Bernier, from L'Orientale Boutique in Lorient.. and just for the record Eden Rock has a k at the end of Rock...
icon6.png

I think you have your people confused, this Helene Bernier does not own that house, nor is she a seamstress, or have a daughter old enough to help manage a house.. you are probably thinking of Aline Bernier, from L'Orientale Boutique in Lorient.. and just for the record Eden Rock has a k at the end of Rock...
icon6.png
I’m glad you corrected that. Les P’Tit Julie, Aline’s villa is perfectly located to enjoy Eden Rock and St Jean/Pelican beaches without the Eden Rock room price tag.

Our first visit to St Barths was a day trip while sailing on one of the Windstar ships long ago, late 80's, oh I just heard the gasps as you read that ! We & another couple had lunch at Eden Roc which is how it was spelled then, also the spelling I prefer. We found what was one of the few taxis to take us from Gustavia to ER & back to the quay. Lunch was delightful, glad we were younger for walking up & back down that hill. Across the street a field of goats, now long replaced by parking. Since then we have returned to SBH many times renting cars, villas, dining in wonderful restaurants.

I, too, love to see those little cases remain as part of the history. When we stayed in Merlette there was one not far from our villa, near where the langouste sign was as you went up the hill, not far from the Gumbs cottages. Don't think there any longer.

Eden Rock in St Barth was never just ROC - but like many other things people remember things selectively!

Easy to understand why the confusion. Island is French. As we know French for rock is roc. But Remy was born in England and he named it Eden Rock as stated in JEK’s post. Mr. Obvious!