Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Island Reopening

Island Reopening

Hi All

It's been awhile. Thank you to all the regular contributors for all the information you provide, it's been incredibly useful over the years and helped to create so many great memories that definitely came in handy over the last year.

We booked a trip once it appeared we were headed in the right direction thinking April might be a reasonable time frame, hoping to arrive on April 7 and staying for two weeks.

The Christmas/New Year break seemed to set the island back and then France itself seemed to not be able to get a handle on the situation again leading to another shutdown.

Can someone point me to a definitive site that posts official French government information regarding travel status for both France and all associated territories? How about the official St Barth government site where one would find the most current information?

At this point I'm not feeling confident about the 4/7 arrival date and was thinking of pushing it back to later in the month until after the Easter break. We have already booked December, but we're coming up on the one year anniversary of the lockdown here in NY and we were really hoping to get out of here and just decompressing for as long as possible as soon as possible.

Stay Safe

Best

Jeff

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 45,021

Re: Island Reopening

Official St Barts site is. http://www.comstbarth.fr/

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,307

Heard from a biz owner that they are hearing 4/1

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Tyler, Texas and Beaver Creek, Colorado Posts: 4,652

Is it already Groundhog's Day again already?
    To the optimist the glass is half full.
    To the pessimist the glass is half empty.
    To the engineer the glass is simply too big.

Yes, same here, one of our favorites who we remain in touch with offered the same opinion/hope
    "Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you"

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2015 Atlanta Posts: 55

We were scheduled for a one week visit starting on 3/19 but rescheduled for Jan '22 a few days ago after hearing from our villa owner. His family is from the island and his message to us was: "The latest news I have is that the French government are unlikely to relax the current restrictions before mid-April. One of the reasons St. Barth has not been given an exception is that Guadeloupe's intensive care system is under great pressure and that St. Barth has to rely on Guadeloupe for theirs".

I wish I had better news to pass on but hopefully the island will open sooner and you can still get down for your April visit.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 54,837

Always nice to be optimistic and aspirational, but dates will come and go if the rates of infection and hospitalization remain high.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2004 Oxford, Md. NYC Posts: 1,832

Our motto, stolen from the above poster is

"Around our house we are saying that Twenty-Twenty-Two is the new Twenty-Twenty-One".

Quote Originally Posted by kent1994 View Post
    Our motto, stolen from the above poster is

"Around our house we are saying that Twenty-Twenty-Two is the new Twenty-Twenty-One".

AGenova, thanks for the reply.

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2009 Boston Posts: 61

We are scheduled to arrive March 20th and have been holding out hope against hope that they would re-open... But unfortunately it now seems very unlikely. We have rescheduled this villa once already and will either kick it to April (?) or November....
    Thankfully we had 10 days in January before they locked it down again.... We will be back as soon as we get the opening date!
    Everybody Dies
    Not Everybody Lives

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2017 U.K. & USA Posts: 150

Well I’m keeping my fingers tightly crossed that our trip on 20th April for 2 weeks is still a go. Positive thoughts over here.. Had both vaccines so if it comes down to a vaccine passport Iv got it.

SBH Member Joined: Dec 2020 Posts: 133

I have no doubt you will be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Well Iím keeping my fingers tightly crossed that our trip on 20th April for 2 weeks is still a go. Positive thoughts over here.. Had both vaccines so if it comes down to a vaccine passport Iv got it.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 10,918

TR561- The Forum will always have the latest updates regarding the island situation vis a vis the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    Official St Barts site is. http://www.comstbarth.fr/
    Thanks Andynap

SBH New Member Joined: Mar 2021 CT Posts: 7

We are booked to go April 24th for 10 nights, PRAYING they open by then , has anyone heard anything about the french side of St. Martin? as far as being open? ive read SOOOOOOOO many conflicting things online regarding that..........

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,437

St Martin is open. There are no border checkpoints between St Maarten and St Martin. However, my understanding is that US tourists can neither fly from SFG, the French-side airport, to SBH, nor take the ferry between Marigot and Gustavia. To clarify, tourists cannot use St Martin as a back door to St Barth.

Ohhhhh FANTASTIC news, guess I’m just waiting for the official word. I need this mini vacation so bad.. Glad I kept my flights I was getting worried SXM as that’s our gateway to St Barth. ������

SBH New Member Joined: Mar 2021 CT Posts: 7

Good News! our flights are to SXM, even better news would be st barth letting us in by april 24TH :)

Hmm. perhaps my response should have been clearer. I added a line. "To clarify, tourists cannot use St Martin as a back door to St Barth."

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,427

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    St Martin is open. There are no border checkpoints between St Maarten and St Martin. However, my understanding is that US tourists can neither fly from SFG, the French-side airport, to SBH, nor take the ferry between Marigot and Gustavia. To clarify, tourists cannot use St Martin as a back door to St Barth.

Belinda and Kmasliah - - -did you see the note from Kevin?

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,907

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    Hmm. perhaps my response should have been clearer. I added a line. "To clarify, tourists cannot use St Martin as a back door to St Barth."
    or a front door

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    or a front door

Or even a side door.

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,907

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Or even a side door.
    nor trap door.

So, just to understand this before I go in full panic mode lol, Kevin do you mean whilst St Barth is closed you can’t come in that way? Assuming St Barth opens in April we still can’t ? Or assuming St Barth opens we can then?

Correct, while St Barth is closed, tourists can't travel there through St Martin without one of the "motifs imperieux", compelling reasons, which include returning to a residence (homeowners), family reunification, medical, or certain unavoidable employment responsibilities.

In the days of COVID, nothing travel-related seems certain, especially when major decisions are being made by politicians 4000 miles away. If France opens the door to St Barth in April, then the door to St Barth through St Martin likely opens for tourists too.

Great, phew. You had me worried there for a minute... positive thoughts again,

SBH Member Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 62

Keep timing out ... is there another way to this site? Thank you. Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by JoR View Post
    Keep timing out ... is there another way to this site? Thank you. Jo.
    What do you mean timing out? And no, only one way in.

SBH Member Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 62

I get this message when I click on the link. May be due to me getting acquainted w/ a new computer.

This site canít be reached

www.comstbarth.fr took too long to respond.