Brood X is coming in about 10 weeks

JEK

Senior Insider
As soon as the soil temps reach mid 60s.

8C273664-78E0-4340-A9EB-4836922DC487.gif

Oh joy. Gary likes to freak me out by strategically placing their exoskeletons somewhere in them path he anticipates I will take: mailbox, outside of my car windshield or door handle, patio tables...you get the picture. Such a man child!!
:tongue:

We are now in the thick of them - with an unexpected result. All the songbirds I feed year round have disappeared. No cardinals, goldfinch, nuthatch, finch, woodpeckers for a week now. Theory is they can’t communicate over the din and migrate to quieter pastures. Will they come back?

The infestation goes for a month or so. Rumor has it they fly until the sound goes away.

A cool rainy day and the cicadas seem to be sleeping late.

These guys showed up!

42C6072A-01C1-406C-B7FF-CE835650066D.jpg

Brood X has been reported emerging in northern Indiana. Nothing yet in the central part of the state and the temps have been warm.

We’ve not seen or heard any cicadas here in our area of NJ yet. Beautiful bird shot, John... they’re loverly!

We are now in the thick of them - with an unexpected result. All the songbirds I feed year round have disappeared. No cardinals, goldfinch, nuthatch, finch, woodpeckers for a week now. Theory is they can’t communicate over the din and migrate to quieter pastures. Will they come back?

:thinking1::rolleyes:

From the article:

[FONT=&quot]These data showed fewer crows, blue jays and other insect-eating birds in areas of cicada emergence, six months before the emergence happened.

[/FONT]
I remain skeptical about the rest of the article. As Amy mentioned, where are they going to go? This emergence covers thousands of square miles. And I find it hard to believe that breeding birds are going to abandon their nests because of a little noise. Plenty of these birds nest in the heart of cities alongside highways.

From the article:

These data showed fewer crows, blue jays and other insect-eating birds in areas of cicada emergence, six months before the emergence happened.

I remain skeptical about the rest of the article. As Amy mentioned, where are they going to go? This emergence covers thousands of square miles. And I find it hard to believe that breeding birds are going to abandon their nests because of a little noise. Plenty of these birds nest in the heart of cities alongside highways.

All I know is they are gone. What are you seeing at your feeders?