Construction roadmap

JEK

Senior Insider
D4B6395B-4458-44CC-851C-87E9C25CF935.jpeg1BF3464C-6054-480D-A97D-18D1C8CE0DAA.jpeg

We were just commenting on the huge amount of roadwork we encountered heading toward Saline from Lurin.

Compared to years ago, the roads on the island have in general improved dramatically. I remember the single lane hairpin turn going up to Saline from Grand Fond, praying a truck wasn’t coming the other way and me having to back up.
Out of curiosity, how is roadwork funded? From our 10% rental tax, money from France or? There is probably a thread?

Since I shut the island down, I thought it would be a good idea to get this necessary roadwork out of the way.

You'll thank me when I re-open the island.

:wink2:

I'm thinking Saline to Lurin and it is still there.

I'm thinking that too. That road is still challenging even after all of the upgrades. When we first came here in the early 90's that road was little more than a driveway, and you sweated when anyone who was coming from the other direction.

Phil

I'm thinking that too. That road is still challenging even after all of the upgrades. When we first came here in the early 90's that road was little more than a driveway, and you sweated when anyone who was coming from the other direction.

Phil
The most significant upgrade to that turn was roughing up the concrete to aid in traction.

Absolutely, and it still can be a lot of fun after a rain, especially if you like driving sideways.

Phil

One of my earliest SBH memories was "trying" to get up that hill/hairpin turn in a Smart car after a rain.

One of my earliest SBH memories was "trying" to get up that hill/hairpin turn in a Smart car after a rain.

Ah yes, the Smart Car. We rented one back in the day. Kept it all of 20 minutes and turned it back in for a Terios.

At leasr we are all talking about the same turn. Yes they ‘roughed it up’ but I believe it was also widened to barely two lanes. I can’t fathom driving up there in the rain in a Smart Car pre road improvement. Gives me the ‘willies’ thinking about that. It was bad enough in a 4 wheel drive automatic.
Now why don’t they rough up the road more coming out of lorient up toward the Pte. Milou turn off, especially for when it is wet?

I have a memory of biking up that hill with Tim. Well, he biked while seated and I walked and pushed. Still got my heart rate up to 160!

I know that hill....also some others .

one year I was given a standard vehicle; thought it may be fun......it was traded in the next day.....

One rainy day we were going up and a motorcycle came sliding down the hill towards us, on its side. Scraped legs and bloody knee for cyclist..I think she was lucky to be alive.