Grapevine Hotel News

didier

Senior Insider
I have heard rumors that a few of the major hotels plan to close soon and will not re open until sometime in October because of the lack of business. Eden Rock is likely to be the first hotel to close.

Makes sense, especially for the not-yet-reopened Guanahani. What’s another six months for them! Also seasonal hotel staff will begin to leave and hopefully gain employment in the south of France for the summer. We had our eye on an ER stay in June, post-vaccination, but as we like to say: 2022 is the new 2021!

giphy.gif

Thank you for this very important info although sad. Le G is our favorite place and we are trying very hard to stay positive. We are both finished with our vaccinations and started to have a glimmer of hope for coming down so I really appreciate the heads up. Maybe SBH is just not in the cards in 2021...

sorry- let me be specific- some are closing just to hotel guests while letting restaurants stay open...other are closing entirely...there are still a fair amount of people on this island who keep extending their Xmas vacation, just not enough to support 40+ restaurants....

Just chatted with Le Toiny and they are open and anxiously awaiting re-opening of the island.

I presume all of the Hotels on the island have deep pockets. I worry more about the restaurant owners and shops. Very sad. Even though travel will be different, what the island and it’s people offer will bring it back to the island we know and love.

I have heard rumors that a few of the major hotels plan to close soon and will not re open until sometime in October because of the lack of business. Eden Rock is likely to be the first hotel to close.

1D995DE6-95A2-43A7-844D-3E3E39FDE5B5.jpeg

Hotels lie, newspapers lie, the most reliable info seems to be word on the street. No one wants this grapevine rumor to be true, especially me, I love having lunch at Eden Rock! We should know the "real story within the next few weeks".

There is a site faxinfo.fr which is a daily-email-newsletter written in St.Martin (I believe), and one of today’s articles reports 22 new cases of Covid in one of SBH’s schools. Based on what I have read, there is very little reason to believe the French islands will be reopened during high season 2021. Whereas Guadeloupe is the only credible facility for treating Covid it seems unlikely that the French will relax on travel restrictions until such time this scourge is on its heels. I hope it comes sooner than later.

That spurt was from the high school aged class during their February vacation time. No one seriously ..just tested positive and confined to quarters.