Vanilla Rhum

Jim A

Senior Insider
I have been enjoying my La Gloriette and Mbolo vanilla rhums that I had shipped home this Winter. Personally I like the Gloriette rhum better - YMMV of course.

For the first time ever I am making (trying to?) my own. I looked at a bunch of the usual recipes on here and online and tinkered a drop with the one that looked the most appealing to me. I just put it in the fridge so let's see how it goes. I guess I'll have to have Siri remind me to take out the beans and add the simple syrup in 30 days.

A question and a comment:
Q: Why take out the beans instead of leaving them in for the second phase? Is it a chemical reaction thing with the sugar, a spoiling thing or just that the vanilla taste would be too strong if you left the beans in the whole time?
C: Just did the math and damn making your own is a little more expensive than I thought :wink2:

to be continued...

Sgree with you Jim. Hands down Gloriette. MBolo is more harsh- still good- Gloriette is smooth going down. Maybe a lot more sugar?
Can’t wait for future reports from your learnings.

C: Just did the math and damn making your own is a little more expensive than I thought :wink2:

to be continued...

I use a variation on the Hideaway fast version, using a 2-gallon infusion jar. It gets pricey in a hurry...

I saw that one and your version of it also Kevin. I believe the rums I used were based on one of your posts from a long time ago (Mount Gay eclipse and Goslings dark. I've wanted to make one of the "long" versions for a while so I went that route, but my next attempt will be based on the "fast" versions.

Love our Gloriette rhum -- and so does everyone we introduce to it after dinner. Well, you know, back when you could have dinner with friends. :)

Anyone know the answer to this?

Q: Why take out the beans instead of leaving them in for the second phase? Is it a chemical reaction thing with the sugar, a spoiling thing or just that the vanilla taste would be too strong if you left the beans in the whole time?

Anyone know the answer to this?

Because that’s what the recipe says?

Au Regal sells a very nice vanilla rum by the bottle. I think the key is starting with a very good rum from Guadeloupe (Marie-Galante). I always come home with a couple of bottles and it never lasts long enough.

Yeah, hence the question...:devillaugh:
The problem is to get an answer you have to take a chance on ruining an entire batch. I don’t know anyone who would do that.

:devillaugh::devillaugh:

Kevin does the long batch frequently so maybe he knows.

Honestly, is the rhum vanille around long enough for the vanilla pods to turn bitter?! Not in our house!!
:biglaugh::wink2:

I am doing my own Vanilla rum for years and I always leave the beans in the bottle. Never had the impression it gets bitter, but thean again, the bottle never gets really old.
I do it like this: 0,7 liters of rhum agricole, I prefer Bielle or Bellevue, which we bring from Marie Gallante, 50%. One cup of water, one cup of sugar, cooked until all sugar is gone and 3 vanilla beans. I leave it at a dark place for 6 weeks. If you use rum with less alcohol, it is lighter.