Thread: 2/19- News of the Day

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 45,032

2/19- News of the Day

Local information
    TERRITORIAL COUNCIL The President of the Collectivity, Mr. Bruno Magas, resorted to the emergency procedure in order to convene the territorial council on Friday 19 February. On the agenda: Request from the Territorial Council to request the reopening of air and sea traffic to accreditation visits. This convocation comes following the receipt of a letter from the Minister of Overseas France Sébastien Lecornu responding unfavorably to the letter sent a fortnight ago by the President Mr. Bruno Magras to request the reopening of the borders of the Isle.
    "ST BARTH AN TAN LONTAN" EXHIBITION AT THE TERRITORIAL MUSEUM OF GUSTAVIA WallHous St. Barth emy de Haenen An Tan Lontan exhibition from February 17 to April 15, 2021 Museum opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 12:30 p.m. to 12 p.m. / 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday: 30-1230 The Culture, Celebrations and Ceremonies, Communication Commission is pleased to announce the start of the exhibition St Barth An Tan Lontan by the painter, Rémy de Haenen. As a health precaution, no varnishing is planned. The museum will welcome visitors with respect for social distancing and with a maximum capacity of 10 people. You will be able to discover the universe of the artist, who through his paintings opens a window to his past and his childhood years in Saint-Barth at the end of the 1950s. The artist takes us into a a journey of vibrant colors and textures where the child he was continues to live. The Wallhouse Territorial Museum will host his works until April 15, 2021. Monday to Friday: 9:30 am / 12 noon - 3 pm / 7 pm Saturday: 9:30 am / 12:30 pm
    CHESS TOURNAMENT THIS FRIDAY Tournament reserved for young people this Friday February 19. Meet at 2:20 p.m. at the Isoletta restaurant. Blitz in all rounds 2x10 minutes. Registration required on 0690 551 214.
    Thank you for the support of Avis and the Isoletta
    TELEPHONE DE LA GENDARMERIE Administration: 0590 27 11 70. Emergency: 17

Andy

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2004 Nashville, TN Posts: 22

Re: 2/19- News of the Day

Thanks for this, Andy. Any thoughts about the implications? (And what's "the emergency procedure"?) We have a trip to SBH planned in a few weeks.....

Quote Originally Posted by bobrosen View Post
    Thanks for this, Andy. Any thoughts about the implications? (And what's "the emergency procedure"?) We have a trip to SBH planned in a few weeks.....
    We should know more by the end of the day

Andy

If I'm understanding correctly, then all the territories will be able to do is sent a joint message to the Minister of Overseas France.. but will still be up to Mr. Lecornu to decide one way or the other. So I wouldn't expect any changes to come just yet.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,240

The permission to change the rules for the territory has to come from France.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210219/why...covid-variants

Speaking during the regular Thursday evening health briefing, Olivier Véran said "this is no time to relax" adding that the next couple of weeks would be key in determining whether the existing restrictions are enough to contain the spread of the new variants.
    At present the government describes the situation in France as "fragile" but no new restrictions are expected before the school holidays end on March 8th.

---

^ I would venture to guess that we won't see any current restrictions lighten up until after March 8th at the absolute earliest, and maybe even see more intense restrictions put into place at that point. But we'll have to see.

Thanks for the update! Good news or bad I just hope they can give us a date as to possible openings. Due to arrive March 4 for 2+ weeks. If this is not going to fly I would like to be able to let my accommodations on the island know and hope to rebook another island for our family vacation. Snowing again here in Boston and need some sun and warmth.

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Tyler, Texas and Beaver Creek, Colorado Posts: 4,652

Do we know any more?

Thanks
    To the optimist the glass is half full.
    To the pessimist the glass is half empty.
    To the engineer the glass is simply too big.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 54,845

Quote Originally Posted by rivertrash View Post
    Do we know any more?

Thanks
    Dick,

AndyNap is stationed online 24/7 on the Le Journal website. Standby!

Goodnight!
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

3/15 is the target to open. Doesn’t mean they will open just shooting for it. France hasn’t spoken yet.

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/100529-Target-opening-date-3-15

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    3/15 is the target to open. Doesn’t mean they will open just shooting for it. France hasn’t spoken yet.

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/100529-Target-opening-date-3-15
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Source?
    Click on blue writing

Andy

Click on blue writing
    That's a rumor until the COM puts something in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    That's a rumor until the COM puts something in writing.
    Next time don't ask for source.

Andy

Next time don't ask for source.

Next time don't reference rumors that may cause people to make plans. I'm sure WIMCO would be broadcasting the news if this were a certainty.

People can read they don't need your interpretation.
    I said France hasn't spoken. I don't see anyone rushing to buy plane tix or booking a villa based on that.

Andy

People can read they don't need your interpretation.
    I said France hasn't spoken. I don't see anyone rushing to buy plane tix or booking a villa based on that.
    And you reference a rumor as the source. We all have a responsibility to our dear readers to help interpret what gets posted. Many new posters looking for answers and posting unsubstantiated dates isn’t helpful to their plight.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 10,954

Andy- thank you for being our eyes and ears on this important issue both for us off island Forum readers as well as all of those on the island that use the Forum as one of their sources for information.
    My guess is Radio St. Barths is reporting on this continually and all proprietors of stores, restaurants, hotels, SBH, WinAir, Tradewind.....are all riveted on when the ‘All Clear’ decision comes from France.