Any update on Island opening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail&Jeff

SBH Member
Anyone hear anything about whether the island will be open to travelers soon. There does not seem to be any updated information other than the shut down at the beginning of February. We are getting close to our travel date of Feb 27th and I am hopeful.

Anyone hear anything about whether the island will be open to travelers soon. There does not seem to be any updated information other than the shut down at the beginning of February. We are getting close to our travel date of Feb 27th and I am hopeful.

You're not going. You shouldn't be going even if you can get there.

I have to disagree with Dennis about "you shouldn't be going even if you can get there". why not Dennis? the island is beautiful, not sure when the opening date is yet as it has not been announced, but if its open for your time frame, you should definitely come here.

I am here, I am at the beach every day. I eat dinner out at least twice a week with friends. its as safe here if not safer than most places in the world.

I also am scheduled to come to the island feb 28. When u called various contacts they do day feb 28. But i dont know where to get information that comes from the french government. How could noone know any info on the ongoings of the negotiations

I am scheduled to arrive March 4 and my family a week later. We wrote to Nils via FB and got the cut and paste information that was posted here and the standard answer of Feb 28. Also wrote to the st barths newspaper and also received a quick response that said they don’t know yet snd were hoping for Feb 28 or sooner.
Going to give this another week for a definite answer before rescheduling to go somewhere else.

I have to disagree with Dennis about "you shouldn't be going even if you can get there". why not Dennis? the island is beautiful, not sure when the opening date is yet as it has not been announced, but if its open for your time frame, you should definitely come here.

I am here, I am at the beach every day. I eat dinner out at least twice a week with friends. its as safe here if not safer than most places in the world.

First, comparing your situation to someone who has to travel from another country is apples to mangos, so let's put that aside.

Of course the island is beautiful...that's one of the reasons we all love it, so let's put that aside.

Whenever the "opening date" is, does that mean open the gates the very next day and let's allow the world back to an island with limited medical resources?

We've read over and over again the implications of becoming ill on island, never mind possibly bringing (more) covid to the island. How could you be ok with that?

How have these other variants traveled to the island?

If we can ever hope for "normal" again, it can only be happen by taking serious measures to limit spread and get vaccinated. Period.

St Barths is not a necessity. It's a luxury.

There is always someone who thinks they know what’s best for everyone else. Are you in government Dennis? I’m sure the overseas minister could use another “yes” man.

If you actually knew me you would never think I know more than anyone or what's best for anyone.

No, not in government.

Again, anyone who actually knows me would probably not think of me as a "yes" man for anyone but Mrs. Dennis.

If you actually knew me you would never think I know more than anyone or what's best for anyone.

No, not in government.

Again, anyone who actually knows me would probably not think of me as a "yes" man for anyone but Mrs. Dennis.

Dennis is much nicer in person than online :laughing-cry:

I am nicer in person as well - I shouldn’t have responded so strongly.

I am frustrated as we have cancelled a trip arriving at the end of February. Speaking as a healthcare professional and a big fan of St Barths I think the travel restrictions are a big overreaction that will have major consequences for the island if not reversed soon. Some of the smaller restaurants, stores, and hotels that give the island character may not survive. There are plenty of tourists that want to come despite Covid, and to be honest it may be safer to be in st Barth where all that enter have to test negative before they arrive.

First, comparing your situation to someone who has to travel from another country is apples to mangos, so let's put that aside.

Of course the island is beautiful...that's one of the reasons we all love it, so let's put that aside.

Whenever the "opening date" is, does that mean open the gates the very next day and let's allow the world back to an island with limited medical resources?

We've read over and over again the implications of becoming ill on island, never mind possibly bringing (more) covid to the island. How could you be ok with that?

How have these other variants traveled to the island?

If we can ever hope for "normal" again, it can only be happen by taking serious measures to limit spread and get vaccinated. Period.

St Barths is not a necessity. It's a luxury.

its not apples to mangoes when the person ( tourist) is arriving to the island with a negative pcr test. I believe the tourists are safe and I and the majority of the island seems to be okay with the tourists arriving here even our president.

I am hoping that when the opening date arrives, anyone who wishes to come with a negative test will be allowed in. the island has always had limited medical resources, that has not changed, should you factor that into your visit, you could and maybe should, but if you are healthy with no underlying health reasons, this island may be safer than staying in your own country., just sayin'

serious measures don't seem to work anywhere, and the vaccinations are expected to have a six month protection only.

we cannot board ourselves in our houses and ever expect to have a normal world again. that is absurd.

by the way none of the moderators on this site including Dennis live on this island, so you have to take their advice about visiting here with a grain of salt. but I do live here and several other members on this site live here. We want the tourists back as do all the hotels and restaurants.

STOP THE NEGATIVE TRAVEL ADVICE PLEASE.

I am nicer in person as well - I shouldn’t have responded so strongly.

I am frustrated as we have cancelled a trip arriving at the end of February. Speaking as a healthcare professional and a big fan of St Barths I think the travel restrictions are a big overreaction that will have major consequences for the island if not reversed soon. Some of the smaller restaurants, stores, and hotels that give the island character may not survive. There are plenty of tourists that want to come despite Covid, and to be honest it may be safer to be in st Barth where all that enter have to test negative before they arrive.

A frustrating time for all of us in one way or another. After vaccination, I was hoping for some travel to see family and even pehaps an island jaunt.

Got this from my doctor yesterday after I sent him an image of my vaccine card.

Congratulations, John. But don’t lower your guard against the Covid virus even after your second jabs.
If in public, wear double masks, one N-95 mask or a surgical mask, and a cloth mask over one of the former masks.
Vitamin D3, 5000 IUs per day along with Vitamin C, 1000 mg/day, Zinc, 30 mg/day and Quercetin 500 mg / day.
This is the anti- CCP virus cocktail that will keep up your immune system to help repel the virus.

Stay Healthy,

The question is that there has been a 7-day self-imposed quarantine for those coming to the island, so if you are coming and that is still the request, please try and respect it...
as Dennis said, the hospital here is limited, there are at least 5 cases of the UK variant (where did they come from?), and while you can enjoy the beaches as many do, and hiking for example, and a private chef and maybe a private yoga class or massage your villa or hotel (with masks of course), if you are asked to stay away from restaurants and enclosed public places for a week upon arrival, would you? If not, I have to agree with Dennis.. and you might enjoy a vacation someplace else a lot more than feeling restricted here...

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-02-zinc-vitamin-wont-covid-.html

B7945365-4AD8-4D33-B9F5-523AB0462BD9.jpeg
DC3F0507-80BC-4786-86BB-7A60C44813B8.jpeg

I can not see how the French Govt will allow tourists to come in as of February 28th based on their policies on other territories. The concern would be the UK variant, as well as the US Variants that are developing rather quickly. St Barths is fragile and if tourists do not follow safety protocols on the Island, it would be devastating with long term consequences. The Island is beautiful, quite safe, I want to come again but I respect the policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.