Happy (Virtual) Carnaval!

JEK

Senior Insider
Had a memory pop up today on Facebook from 9 years ago that reminded that today IS the day!
Found some of my orginal cosutumes upstairs and may dance around the kitchen today with a Ti Punch!

king_carnaval.jpg

32BF45A8-CC69-42D9-8C56-A68F64D9B5B7.jpg

335FCB5B-3D18-4116-B159-2B672E681404.jpg

E14E0FB8-77CC-4BE1-89B4-875F4DC38738.jpg

8517F2EA-5627-4D68-9C28-4059E0AF1DED.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 11.13.55 AM.jpg

Floats, carnival groups, dancers make up the traditional Carnival parade. Tuesday February 16 the streets of Gustavia will seem silent compared to Mardi Gras 2020 when 16 groups competed in ingenuity for their costumes. Many tourists come for the occasion to have fun and admire the choreography but also the imagination of some.

Fabienne Miot, participates unconditionally in the Carnival. Each year we look forward to discovering the chosen theme. She transports us with her homemade costumes in her imaginary world like that of music when she paraded disguised as a vinyl record or as in 2010, with her queen Amidala costume. The jeweler from rue de la République is not, however, totally surprised by this turn of events: "We are necessarily a little disappointed that this is not happening because we love Carnival. Having said that, I find it logical that it be canceled given the current circumstances. Although she cannot participate this year, she has a solution: "I still want to mark the occasion and this day is not a day like any other. Since I can't disguise myself completely, I'll wear a funny hat or Carnival hairstyle. So my clients and my friends will know that this day is special. "

Léa Cô Quât, a replacement physiotherapist on the island, said she was very disappointed by this cancellation: "I understand the reason for the cancellation but I can't help but be disappointed. Especially since I bought all the fabric to make my costume ... "

Contacted by us, the groups that take part in the Carnival every year did not respond. We can therefore only speculate on their reaction to the cancellation of the event.

The Carnival took place, however, in schools on the island the day before the school holidays. In Colombier, Gustavia and Lorient, the event remained within the grounds of the establishment. The children participate in a carnival behind closed doors since parents cannot enter inside. In addition, the Lorient primary school confirms that the shows are filmed and a copy will subsequently be issued to parents so that they can enjoy them, even after the fact.

Journal de Saint-Barth N ° 1410 of 02/11/2021
Journal N ° 1410 of 02/11/2021
Tourism in wait
Clean Up Gustavia
Port attendance in 2020

Just not seeing any indication of much of a Meyers-Brigg I scale here, John. lol

Great pictures. Fabulous costumes. Great memories. Wishing you and other SBH fans many more to come. L'année prochaine, sinon avant!!

Love the article and photos of your costumes - such wonderful memories! Visiting SBH during Carnival is definitely on our wish list.

Sitting in Le Repaire; sipping Rum Punches or Bloody Marys; enjoying their wonderful dishes and everybody in costume; watching the parade go by on those carefree days- great memories and more to come. This will pass!

Interesting read & photos, reminds me of the Philadelphia Mummers clubs trying to get enough feathers & sequins !