2021 Rock and Roll HOF nominees

JEK

Senior Insider
70332AAD-A914-4CFD-A806-7B421267BA4E.jpeg

I think the Dolls should be there but likewise question the GoGos and Devo....and I actually saw Devo live.

At least we've all heard of the New York Dolls and Devo, but Fela Kuti?!?!? I'm sure he's wonderfully talented but is he rock and roll?!?!? Who has his music? Who has even heard of him?!?!

Thank you,
NYC Fred

... but Fela Kuti?!?!? I'm sure he's wonderfully talented but is he rock and roll?!?!? Who has his music? Who has even heard of him?...

Fela Kuti is the most significant nominee on that list... really...

This piece from the NYT gives an introduction and links to 10 of what the author considered his most essential songs along with 5 other Afrobeat (not to be confused with the more recent Afrobeats) songs.

Rock fans of the ‘60’s got introduced through Ginger.Baker’s African excursion - Baker joined Fela’s Africa 70 on 2 tracks of a great album that can be heard here or streamed by whatever service the youngfolk use these days.Fela is featured in the African portion of the Beware of Mr. Baker documentary. The Africa 70 drummer, Tony Allen, was also very important in the origins of Afrobeat.

There are many live videos and other clips of Fela on youtube. Here is one with a later band, Egypt 80. Fela Kuti - Music Is The Weapon is a documentary that can be watched at the provided Vimeo link.

One can argue about Fela and Afrobeat music belonging in the Rock HOF but you can do that with a lot of its members and musical inclusions.

Bart, you need to take a break from comparative analysis of Dark Stars and check Fela Kuti out! Best of the Black President is a good starting point on the streaming services.

Thanks for the education Izzy! I'll check out some of Fela's stuff.

Also thanks for info on Dark Star(s). 2-13-70 will always be #1 in my heart, but my top 10 list has about 40 entries!!

Also, your research capabilities rival and possibly surpass the Library of Congress!!