Thread: No compelling reasons needed to take the ferry from st. martin to st. barth

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 flamands Posts: 6,281

No compelling reasons needed to take the ferry from st. martin to st. barth

the latests news from the ferries.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,174

Re: No compelling reasons needed to take the ferry from st. martin to st. barth

Quote Originally Posted by didier View Post
    the latests news from the ferries.
    Clear as mud!

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 11.03.07 AM.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  166.0 KB
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 45,146

Name:  9A418E3B-7764-4AAE-AF15-66041D196211.jpeg
Views: 495
Size:  552.6 KB

Andy

Not particularly clear as to whether or not this applies to the Dutch side, which is where SXM is located. Nor, is it clear that a non-citizen/resident passenger arriving at SXM would be able to transit across to the French side at all, let alone for purposes of travel to St. Barts.

I noticed Winair now states on their website that these travel restrictions are in effect “at least” until February 28th, so it seems as though anyone with travel plans this month or even early in March may want to start exploring alternative dates.

I've just heard from my lodging owner that the borders are open as of today. Hope that is true and it stands for the time being.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,557

Here's a little more confusion (or perhaps clarity) to add, from Great Bay Express, the Dutch-side ferry from Phillipsburg:

From Le News:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  19.8 KB

From the Great Bay Ferry website, where it differentiates between residents and non-residents:

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  121.7 KB

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2003 st-barthelemy Posts: 1,851

Quote Originally Posted by maryella View Post
    I've just heard from my lodging owner that the borders are open as of today. Hope that is true and it stands for the time being.
    right now itís open only from the French part
    not the Dutch part
    the borders are not open yet
    itís already a lot confusion
    rosita
    villa la baleine | villa les jardins d'Emmanuel | villa les basses

Quote Originally Posted by Rosita View Post
    right now itís open only from the French part
    not the Dutch part
    the borders are not open yet
    itís already a lot confusion
    Agreed. The wording of the actual statement from the Collective seems to be in such a way that it only applies to residents/citizens and *not* tourism. Why would they mention not needing a PCR test for stays under 72-hours unless this decree only applied to those actually living on both islands?

Regrettably, detailed communication has never been a strongpoint of the local government. It is as if they issue these statements without ever stopping to ask themselves what potential clarifying questions may need to be answered.

From what I can see, I suspect tourism is still off-limits.

[TRANSPORT / COVID-19] - LIFT OF IMPERIOUS REASONS FOR MOVEMENT BETWEEN SAINT -
    BARTHELMY AND SAINT MARTIN.
    With a view to ensuring territorial continuity between our territories, the Decree of 5 February [...] prescribing the general measures necessary to cope with the covid19 epidemic as part of the state of health emergency lifts the obligation to justify on an imperative basis the air and sea travel between Saint-Barthťlemy and Saint-Martin as of Saturday, February 6, 2021.
    The circulation of the virus remains active, a PCR or anti-gene test for travel between the two territories remains recommended in case of stay above 72 h.