2021 Bucket Cancelled - official announcement

elgreaux

Senior Insider
28 January, 2021 (0930)

Each year, the Stewards of the St Barths Bucket stage their international sailing event for theenjoyment of yacht owners and for the benefit of the people of St Barths. The “Spirit of theBucket” is a time-honored tradition that has endured for 36 years.Last year, the Bucket was cancelled at the last minute because the pandemic had just begun tospread. This year, a January resurgence has resulted in heightened health uncertainties andrapidly changing travel restrictions for prospective regatta participants. One by one, over the lastfew weeks, yacht owners decided that it had become impossible to attend the Bucket in 2021and that they would postpone participation until 2022. With a committed field of less thanfive, the collective decision of the race participants had to be acknowledged and accepted bythe Bucket Stewards. As a result, the 2021 St Barth’s Bucket is now officially cancelled.We would like to recognize and thank the St Barth’s Bucket entrants, prospective entrants,Friends, volunteers and other supporters for their extraordinary cooperation through rapidlychanging conditions all year. We would also like to extend a most heartfelt thank you to theresidents and leadership of St Barths who once again made best efforts to welcome us to theirhome, even under the most difficult of circumstances.We wish everyone good health until we gather again next year for the 2022 edition when theSpirt of the Bucket will once again shine bright.The Bucket Stewards

Unfortunately we all knew this was going to happen.
It is interesting that the Prada Cup Challenge Selection Series, the prelude to America’s Cup 2021 (March 15-21) )is happening thru Feb. 2 in New Zealand ie not cancelled.

Two years in a row we have hoped to attend the Bucket for the 1st time. Maybe in 2022 it will happen, fingers crossed.

Bob, a major disappointment. Welcome to 2021! Another grandson who is a senior in High School and not having the time of his life. Different experiences these days. Different memories.

The Bucket is so special, and I hope to see that event return here next year.

My Bubbe was wise..THIS TOO SHALL PASS. (Just wish it was quicker to depart.)

I feel for your Grandson, not good times and not good memories! Too many young people are taking their lives, unhappiness abounds. Catholic schools around the country are open with in person teaching and have been so for many months. What is wrong with public schools and teacher unions?

Seems most of the Catholic schools operate on a hybrid model both here and in San Francisco - my two data points. Smaller classes and larger facilities, to include the church nearby, seems to support this model. We have a friend whose high school daughter elected to go remote-only due to a multiigenerational household. Public or private, kids are missing out on the social aspects.

Too many young people are taking their lives, unhappiness abounds. Catholic schools around the country are open with in person teaching and have been so for many months. What is wrong with public schools and teacher unions?

Here in Las Vegas the ever-increasing number of teenage suicides is finally starting to drive parents to pressure the school district to open the schools. My daughter attends a Catholic high school, and has been on-campus, in-person 5 days/week since mid August. It breaks my heart to see what is happening in the public schools. Many argue that the lack of funds is driving the closure, but our school has been able to effectively navigate the issue with no increase in tuition. I pray that these kids will get back to "normal" soon.

Unfortunately we all knew this was going to happen.
It is interesting that the Prada Cup Challenge Selection Series, the prelude to America’s Cup 2021 (March 15-21) )is happening thru Feb. 2 in New Zealand ie not cancelled.

New Zealand did you say?

6A9AD6BC-B6DA-486C-AC9B-C7F625319DA6.jpg

A258B4EF-0E5D-485E-9BA3-6A9D1F024FB6.jpg

B1553E43-5B24-4813-AD0D-4FAC1234A335.jpg