Following covid protocol while dining

Mrsm6-7-08

SBH Insider
Tonight we went over to Zion. Big mistake on our part.
We got there early and there was only one table eating.
About 15 mins later a table comes in. Spaced apart but one woman is visibly sick. Blowing her nose nonstop wiping her used tissues on the menu and coughing nonstop.
We spoke to the manager about them having someone There who is visibly sick and they did not care and said they would give us the food to go. It’s just upsetting because I was in Antigua for a week and every where we went protocols were followed. I feel like allowing someone who coughing sneezing and sick during a pandemic is risking exposing everyone else.

Hmm. Despite the glowing reports from others, my one visit to Zion was less than impressive. Based on just one visit, I haven't said a word about it. But this, this concerns me. My recollection is that Zion was one of the restaurants which were warned about COVID protocols.

Does Zion not "get it"?

Not sure how long you've been there, but, if it was after the 19th, could you let us know the process you experienced, upon arrival, for the implementation of Mr. Magras' newest visitor procedures? Wondering if it was a verbal commitment or a written one or did it not come up at all, on your arrival? If you arrived before the 19th, have you heard from anyone who arrived after the 19th, and of their experience of the process, with the new procedures for visitors to the island?

MrsB it was a bad and in my opinion horrific situation.. Shame on the guest who put her selfish need to dine out ahead of the population at large and shame on Zion for not asking her to come back as soon as she felt better!

Everyone here should be following President Magras’ plea to follow the protocols. What has become of common sense and caring?....come on man! Come on woman! Do your part to not allow this pandemic to bring even harsher and stricter rules to be forced on those who have come to vacation in St Barths or to call it home.

thanks for the info. I had not tried zion yet, but I had friends who planned to go there this week and I was going to join them. I refuse to go to a restaurant that has so little concern over this situation, so we are making different reservations.

Noticed this on the Wimco web site. Effective January 21 – new regulation for arriving visitors

“Upon arrival travelers are asked to sign a document that asks for their commitment to not frequent public areas for their first 7 days on the island, in particular restaurants, bars, boutiques, churches.”
We will be on the island at the beginning of March, not sure how to take this. Will we be basically quarantining at the house the first 7 days? I think only Wimco mentions signing a document.

Noticed this on the Wimco web site. Effective January 21 – new regulation for arriving visitors

“Upon arrival travelers are asked to sign a document that asks for their commitment to not frequent public areas for their first 7 days on the island, in particular restaurants, bars, boutiques, churches.”
We will be on the island at the beginning of March, not sure how to take this. Will we be basically quarantining at the house the first 7 days? I think only Wimco mentions signing a document.

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 8.51.02 AM.jpg

There are thoughts about installing a guillotine near the anchor in Gustavia where the beloved tourist statue once stood.
However, most feel another solution will be forthcoming, Andy.

The whole experience last night really put a bad experience on Zion and the fact that the manager and other waitstaff clearly did not care that the lady was very sick and coughing nonstop and blowing her nose.
Another thing that really made me upset is when the lady blew her nose. She wiped the menu with her used tissues which made my stomach churn.

To answer other questions we arrived via tradewind from Antigua to SBH. We had a negative PCR Performed in our villa in Antigua by a private doctor. Our results were ready in less then 24 hours so we were well within the 72 hours.

I just want to caution everyone who is thinking about going to Zion this happened on 1/23/21.

If you test negative coming in to the island I don't understand the reason for (D) above. Am I missing something?

I have to disagree about Zion. While I have never witnessed anyone "sick" while there, I have never had anything but a pleasant experience, and the staff is small and all masked. When we go, we sit at the round table by the kitchen or the one by the entry door which is far from all other diners, and very airy, with fans and a nice breeze. The chef is one of the most talented on the island and the food is better and more imaginative than most. He will also do almost anything on the menu for take-out, for those who do not want to dine in the restaurant. Anyplace can have an off night, and people who are visibly sick should have the good sense to stay home... if you are basing your decision on "sickness," better to avoid Nikki Beach, Bonito, and Les Bananiers, all of which have been closed due to the staff having Covid-19. Not the case at Zion.

I agree, Andy. We are all about respecting social distancing, mask wearing, hand washing, etc. However, dining on the island at the phenomenal restaurants is part of the overall vacation experience.
The Zion incident reported in this thread is appalling! Shame on Zion for not ask on the patron to leave immediately...so disrespectful to the other diners. As we know, this is a very fluid situation, and we will wait and see what’s to come. Sadly, we may be pushing our April trip off... for the third time.

If you test negative coming in to the island I don't understand the reason for (D) above. Am I missing something?

To account for false negative PCR’s and turning positive and/or becoming infected after testing... The current regulations with a semi-quarantine for 7 days and retesting are meant to strike a "reasonable balance" as detailed below.

A pre-trip PCR screen keeps some infected individuals from even traveling but the limitations of PCR testing are well-known. Under the regulations of 1/19/20, the PCR serves this purpose but is not considered sufficient for the traveler to go to restaurants, bars, etc..

Studies indicate (confirm the intuitive) that a post arrival quarantine is better than PCR screening.

After a quarantine, one essentially becomes part of the population and is treated as such.

The European CDC has issued a fairly comprehensive guideline document that includes discussion of strategies (most pertinent part starts on page 7 and includes source references). A short excerpt (underline added):

"Modelling studues... have explored different aspects of the effectiveness of various combination strategies... Based on these studies, a 14-day quarantine period appears to be most effective in reducing the risk of transmission from travellers, although this creates logistical and financial challenges. A 10-day quarantine (without testing at day 10) seems to be the next most effective alternative, particularly if used in combination with other non-pharmaceutical interventions or where countries do not have enough testing capacity.

Alternatives involving shortened quarantine or combinations of quarantine and testing have been also explored, and it is expected that these will have less negative social impact. If a Member State implements quarantine of travellers, testing could help shorten the quarantine period. A single test upon arrival is considered to be about 40 to 50% effective in preventing the importation of the virus. Given the likely low prevalence of infection among travellers, and assuming that contact information is collected for travellers to enable follow-up if required, the combination of quarantine and a single test at around day 7 after arrival appears to offer a reasonable balance of risks and benefits as an alternative to longer quarantine without testing... Testing twice (upon arrival and after a few days to release from quarantine) does not seem to significantly increase effectiveness - compared to testing only once to release from quarantine - and it is logistically challenging and more resource intensive."

I have to disagree about Zion. While I have never witnessed anyone "sick" while there, I have never had anything but a pleasant experience, and the staff is small and all masked. When we go, we sit at the round table by the kitchen or the one by the entry door which is far from all other diners, and very airy, with fans and a nice breeze. The chef is one of the most talented on the island and the food is better and more imaginative than most. He will also do almost anything on the menu for take-out, for those who do not want to dine in the restaurant. Anyplace can have an off night, and people who are visibly sick should have the good sense to stay home... if you are basing your decision on "sickness," better to avoid Nikki Beach, Bonito, and Les Bananiers, all of which have been closed due to the staff having Covid-19. Not the case at Zion.

I agree about the quality of the food and the chef. Our meals were amazing.
After last night we will only go to places that are fully outdoors and go early.
Zion was not packed. We were one of 3 tables in the whole place and we went at 6:45pm.

To account for false negative PCR’s and turning positive and/or becoming infected after testing... The current regulations with a semi-quarantine for 7 days and retesting are meant to strike a "reasonable balance" as detailed below.

A pre-trip PCR screen keeps some infected individuals from even traveling but the limitations of PCR testing are well-known. Under the regulations of 1/19/20, the PCR serves this purpose but is not considered sufficient for the traveler to go to restaurants, bars, etc..

Studies indicate (confirm the intuitive) that a post arrival quarantine is better than PCR screening.

After a quarantine, one essentially becomes part of the population and is treated as such. .

I know but asking for 7 day quarantine is telling people not to come. The businesses must be thrilled.

I know but asking for 7 day quarantine is telling people not to come. The businesses must be thrilled.

That is a separate issue from the reason for D...

Back in the early days of the pandemic, one way of limiting visitors adopted by some locales was restriction of short-term stays (my state mandated a 30 day minimum) and imposing quarantines on those who came... the current regulations may effectively do that but leave the payment burden on the already-booked, short-term traveler rather than the hotel or property owner, who may or may not modify their cancellation policies... which is yet another issue...

The only was to deal with restaurants who do not respect the protocols and put their guests at risk is to fine them and immediately shut the restaurant down for a period of time. Flagrant disregard speaks to the attitude of management. I would suggest if they are so cavalier with the serious COVID regulations I would also question how the team manages their kitchen with preparation and handling of food.

The attractions of St. Barths for tourists are many and varied. As they say, different strokes for different folks. For me and my family, we truly enjoy dining at a variety of restaurants which can be witnessed in our pics and posts over the years. We enjoy breakfast treats at the bakeries, varied by Le Jardin, L'Isoletta and a spurge at Manapany. Truly enjoy receiving Andy's daily special posts everyday and choosing where to enjoy a nice lunch special. Dinner's are extraordinary, easy to fill up seven of our rotation favorites in a week capping off with L'Esprit on our final night ritual.
No shopping for the girls in boutiques. No night caps at our favorite bars.
Postponing our upcoming March trip. Not an enjoyable way to spend $12,000.00 for a week vacation with the ever increasing restrictions. Waiting for the nonsense to end.