Covid testing in St. Jean

I saw that St. Maarten won’t take an at-home test kit for arrival there. Anyone knowledgeable about that? We definitely have lined up in-person options, just wondering about the requirements.

Le News 01/22/21

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 10.27.09 AM.jpg

Is this accurate ??? Should this state only for visitors without the proper negative test results or something :thinking1:

from WIMCO

https://www.wimco.com/vacation-trav...-19-test-requirements-and-travel-information/

[h=2]Effective January 21 – new regulation for arriving visitors[/h]Upon arrival travelers are asked to sign a document that asks for their commitment to not frequent public areas for their first 7 days on the island, in particular restaurants, bars, boutiques, churches. During this time travelers may shop for groceries, arrange food delivery or pick-up, visit beaches, and walk around town as long as they are wearing a mask and practicing social distancing. On day 7 travelers are asked to get a Covid19 test if staying longer than a week. If this test is negative, travelers are free to enter restaurants, bars, boutiques, churches and all other public spaces.

It also states this above so...:confused:

St. Barths is open to visitors. To visit you will need to be tested for Covid19 using a PCR test, and provide proof of testing negative no more than three days before arrival. For people who have a negative test result in hand on arrival, there is no quarantine.

These restrictions were published from Bruno Magras on January 19.

Is this accurate ??? Should this state only for visitors without the proper negative test results or something :thinking1:

from WIMCO

https://www.wimco.com/vacation-trav...-19-test-requirements-and-travel-information/

Effective January 21 – new regulation for arriving visitors

Upon arrival travelers are asked to sign a document that asks for their commitment to not frequent public areas for their first 7 days on the island, in particular restaurants, bars, boutiques, churches. During this time travelers may shop for groceries, arrange food delivery or pick-up, visit beaches, and walk around town as long as they are wearing a mask and practicing social distancing. On day 7 travelers are asked to get a Covid19 test if staying longer than a week. If this test is negative, travelers are free to enter restaurants, bars, boutiques, churches and all other public spaces.

It also states this above so...:confused:

St. Barths is open to visitors. To visit you will need to be tested for Covid19 using a PCR test, and provide proof of testing negative no more than three days before arrival. For people who have a negative test result in hand on arrival, there is no quarantine.

Thanks for sending this . Clearly something new happened as of Jan 21 with new regs. We were seriously considering taking our usual trip in March. But this new reg has sealed the deal and will keep us state side this year. This makes me very sad as we have been going to SBH annually since 1989 and even hung in there for a hurricane. But you could get into a restaurant two days after a hurricane and fresh bread was available the next day. The last thing you need is to end up like the girl who went to the Cayman's and violated the curfew and ended up in jail. I hope the people of St. Barts stay safe and these new policies will slow down the virus on the island so we can all visit in the future without restrictions.

Context: this is in a thread about getting tests done on the island (Covid testing in St. Jean) and clearly states for all persons needing a test in Saint Barth.

First of all...THANK GOD FOR THIS FORUM. I would not have been aware of these new restrictions without it. At least not this quickly.

We just canceled our mid-March trip. St Barths is effectively NOT welcoming tourism at this time. There is no other way to interpret these new regulations. Enough is enough is enough.

Just my two cents... if you can come down please do. The island is wonderful, green and just being in the sun is uplifting. The restos are open and you can keep a safe distance.... Just noticed Nikki Beach is open today.

Just my two cents... if you can come down please do. The island is wonderful, green and just being in the sun is uplifting. The restos are open and you can keep a safe distance.... Just noticed Nikki Beach is open today.

That's not what the rules say. I am not going to sign a form promising that I will avoid restaurants for 7 days (our trip was for 9) and then flout those promises. Call me Pollyanna but I ain't doin it. I was willing to jump thru many hoops for this. But this is the straw that has broken my back.

I do have another comment. Covid cases were spiking to the highest number in the USA in mid-December since Covid started...why did the St Barths government not have regulations such as these new ones in place THEN? Was it because they didn't want to miss out on all those beautiful high season tourism dollars???

That's not what the rules say. I am not going to sign a form promising that I will avoid restaurants for 7 days (our trip was for 9) and then flout those promises. Call me Pollyanna but I ain't doin it. I was willing to jump thru many hoops for this. But this is the straw that has broken my back.

I do have another comment. Covid cases were spiking to the highest number in the USA in mid-December since Covid started...why did the St Barths government not have regulations such as these new ones in place THEN? Was it because they didn't want to miss out on all those beautiful high season tourism dollars???

Because cases were not spiking here until all the tourists came over the holidays and totally flouted the rules. Private villa parties for 150-400 people with no masks and no social distancing.. then they all went home and we are stuck with the consequences. It may be a beachfront playground for some, but it is also home to many others. Allowing people to come from other French Caribbean islands without a test was not smart in my opinion, and that is still the case from St Martin. So what good are the rest of the rules? None of it makes any sense if you ask me, but for people coming for more than a week, it's still a lovely place to take a vacation. Cook in the villa, hire a private chef, have your groceries delivered, get some massages, have a private fitness trainer come (ours wears a mask), go to the beach in the early morning or late in the afternoon, swim in your pool, relax, watch the sunset... are the overpriced restaurants the only reason people come here? how silly!
Believe it or not, some people who live here haven't set foot in a restaurant since March...
And the St Barth gov't does not set the rules, it's the French gov't by way of the Regional Health Agency and the Prefecture!

"It may be a beachfront playground for some, but it is also home to many others."

THIS.

(and the inconsistency in the rules, from day 1)

Context: this is in a thread about getting tests done on the island (Covid testing in St. Jean) and clearly states for all persons needing a test in Saint Barth.
There was talk somewhere here about some showing up on island without the proper test results (maybe on yachts) and that those individuals then could go to St Jean to be tested.

Part of what I was trying to figure out (because I just saw this 7 day quarantine rule for the first time) based on the fact that Wimco was stating on the same webpage but in different paragraphs that those who show up with tests do not need to quarantine and in another paragraph that everyone needs to do a "quasi quarantine" for 7 days was that perhaps the latter was more for people that showed up without the proper negative test results and thus needed to be tested on Island...at St Jean

Being a limited tech nerd, I am unfortunately unable to figure out how to load Magras' 01/19 statement. What WIMCO sent you is a "word for word" on the request for commitment for inbound travelers to (observe prophylactic rules, not frequent shops, restaurants, churches, bars for first seven days and 7 day test) .....

Maybe someone else has access to the January 19 document and can post it?

Being a limited tech nerd, I am unfortunately unable to figure out how to load Magras' 01/19 statement. What WIMCO sent you is a "word for word" on the request for commitment for inbound travelers to (observe prophylactic rules, not frequent shops, restaurants, churches, bars for first seven days and 7 day test) .....

Maybe someone else has access to the January 19 document and can post it?
I just saw it in another thread

https://t.e2ma.net/click/ypjbjc/2sc767o/i5scdh

attachment.php

Interpretation from Le Journal seems to imply that the 7-day "recommended" quarantine applies to travelers from Metropolitan France, and appears to be reciprocal to the rule in France itself for those arriving from St. Barts.

https://www.journaldesaintbarth.com...onditions-pour-se-deplacer--202101211300.html

Similar to the announcement that caused brief panic earlier this month that "only accepted RT-PCR tests would be permissible", which turned out to be a French law that didn't apply to those arriving from elsewhere, this announcement's lack of specificity is causing a lot of concern. I am guessing this will all be cleared up in a few days.

It seems quite unlikely that they would mandate all arriving passengers with a negative RT-PCR test to quarantine for 7-days. That will effectively terminate tourism on the island.

Interpretation from Le Journal seems to imply that the 7-day "recommended" quarantine applies to travelers from Metropolitan France, and appears to be reciprocal to the rule in France itself for those arriving from St. Barts.

https://www.journaldesaintbarth.com...onditions-pour-se-deplacer--202101211300.html

Similar to the announcement that caused brief panic earlier this month that "only accepted RT-PCR tests would be permissible", which turned out to be a French law that didn't apply to those arriving from elsewhere, this announcement's lack of specificity is causing a lot of concern. I am guessing this will all be cleared up in a few days.

It seems quite unlikely that they would mandate all arriving passengers with a negative RT-PCR test to quarantine for 7-days. That will effectively terminate tourism on the island.

here is a letter from Les islets de la Plage to a client arriving on February 5:

I hope you are well.

I’m afraid we have some news for you… The French government have just bought in some new rules. It was unclear until last evening who they applied to, now it has been confirmed that they apply to all travelers.

1. PCR test are obligatory for entry and antigen test are no longer accepted
  2. All travelers are asked to agree to a “Prophylactic Isolation” for the first 7 days on the island. It’s not quarantine as such, you can still use the resort, the beach, the pool, do food shopping for supplies, go for walks etc but they are asking you to refrain for going to restaurants, boutiques and bars for the first seven days and to refrain from inviting guests to your villa. We can of course assist with any shopping, and many restaurants offer a To-Go Service
  3. You will be required to take a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] PCR test on your 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day. If this is negative then you can go about your vacation as normal. Copy of the press release attached)

You are with us for 15 nights so we do hope you will still come as after 7 days you are free, but totally understand if you decide otherwise.
We are so sorry to bring you this news at the 11[SUP]th[/SUP] hour but it was only confirmed last night.

We do not know how long these rules will be in place for but we envisage at least until mid to late February.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further details or would like to discuss.

We look forward to hearing from you & once again we are so sorry to be the bearer of this news.

Kindest regards

(View attachment COVID TRAVELER RULES 19 JAN 2021.pdf