Warning about FedEx -- Covid Consultants

Snorkeler

SBH Member
We are hoping to fly today on an international trip that requires a negative Covid test. We paid thecovidconsultants.com a total of $513 for two tests (including FedEx overnight shipping), and used their posted recommendations (see attached image from their web site) on the timing of our tests. We tested ourselves on Monday, and delivered the packages to our local FedEx office at 1:30 p.m. on Monday -- well before the 5:00 p.m. deadline. The packages never left the state for more than 24 hours, so the packages weren't delivered to the Covid Consultants on Tuesday morning as planned. (A day later, on Wednesday morning, the packages still haven't been delivered.) So, a major screw-up -- not sure what we'll do next.

On the phone, Covid Consultants said that 95% of FedEx overnight packages arrive on time -- which means that 5% don't. That's one out of 20 customers. Something to keep in mind!

Covid Consultants won't provide us a refund, but did offer us a 50% refund. A bitter experience. I think that a warning about the 5% failure rate of FedEx deliveries should be posted on the Covid Consultants web site.

Attachments

• Covid Consultants chart.jpg
    Covid Consultants chart.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,059
Re: Warning about Covid Consultants

I am so sorry to hear of your problem. Precisely why our family does not intend to return to St. Barths until the nonsense if over, if it ever is over.

Yes, it's a warning about FedEx. But FedEx is the chosen shipper that Covid Consultants requires customers to use. The payment goes to Covid Consultants -- I have no contractual arrangement with FedEx. (Covid Consultants mailed me a pre-paid FedEx bag.) In essence, FedEx is Covid Consultant's chosen subcontractor. And Covid Consultants provides advice on the timing of home Covid testing (with respect to flight departure dates) -- and it seems to me that a 5% failure to deliver packages (by FedEx) should be noted by Covid Consultants on their recommendation chart for test timing.

I feel your pain. If Covid Consulstants relies upon FedEx, there you have it, not your choice. Is there a more reliable shipper than FedEx? UPS? USPS? DHL?
I sincerely hope you can get your money back from Airlines, Villa/Hotel Rental, not to mention disappointment!!!

The problem is that there is no more (or less) reliable provider right now -- they are all (can I use the f-word here?) horrible right now. I paid for two-day shipping with USPS for a package I sent on December 15; my friend got it yesterday. I am awaiting two packages that were sent to me on December 19 and have yet to arrive. Although the company I bought from is 35 miles from my home, the package sat in Pittsburgh for 8 days and then Jersey City since then.

That said, Covid Consultants should be upfront or at least more transparent. My experience with them was great in November.

I feel your pain. If Covid Consulstants relies upon FedEx, there you have it, not your choice. Is there a more reliable shipper than FedEx? UPS? USPS? DHL?
I sincerely hope you can get your money back from Airlines, Villa/Hotel Rental, not to mention disappointment!!!

I would say that a 95% success rate is pretty good. Except when you're in the 5%, natch.

It seems to me that because of the Post Office breakdown more people are using FedEx and UPS leading to delays through out. I am still waiting for a package sent 2 weeks before Christmas.

Shipping News ....Fed Ex and UPS jammed and have fallen way behind. Newly rebranded and renamed by unhappy customers...FED UP!

I am so sorry to hear of your problem. Precisely why our family does not intend to return to St. Barths until the nonsense if over, if it ever is over.

The “nonsense” is rational response to a global pandemic that has killed hundreds and hundreds of thousands. This island that we love is trying to protect her citizens and her livelihood.

Shame on Covid Consultants....It is not your fault FedEx did not deliver. You did not choose to use them. They did and they should deal with the loss/consequence. If my customer does not receive a package from a shipper that I chose to ship with, I make them whole and deal with the shipper myself. I would never let a customer suffer a loss.

My husband had the same thing happen recently when he used Vault's covid testing for a business trip to Hawaii. He delivered his sample, as instructed, to the UPS store (their chosen carrier) hours before their publicized cutoff for next-day air service. It sat in the store for 24 hours. He did get his results back in time - but just barely, and not without a LOT of stress!

We're at the airport now. No information from Covid Consultants -- in other words, no testing results. Fortunately, our Plan B test (a free test from our state health department) came through before our check-in -- and obviously, before the results from Covid Consultants. Looks like our trip will happen. Nerve-wracking.

Very sorry for all of the stress Snorkler, but the good news is that you’ll be arriving in paradise very soon. Bon voyage and enjoy your time on St. Barths!

if you don't put this covid test in a specific fed ex shipment for critical medical , I believe it is cat b, then fed ex may not know this needs shipping first.

fed ex always makes sure that medical specimens goes out first. this may be the problem that some of you are having. you cannot just drop this cat b box in just any fedex drop box.

I spoke with several fed ex offices before dropping my specimen. two of them refused to take a cat b shipment. the third fed ex office said they would take my medical specimen, but refused to touch the box and had me put the box in a special area to be picked up by fedex at 5 p.m.

I had no problem and tracked my shipment, it did go out at 5, but did not leave the area until 9 that evening.

Our packages were medical substances, Category B -- clearly marked on the bags.

like I said, not ALL FEDEX OFFICES ACCEPT CAT B. if you drop off to the wrong fedex office,one that does not accept cat b, then it will just sit here untouched, till another fedex office sends a truck for the specimen.