we arrive tomorrow for our annual January visit

Wip

SBH Insider
Hi to the forum, We depart BWI for SJU tomorrow morning on SWA and then arrive in SBH on Tradewinds. Have 2 negative tests in hand. We'll report back to the forum members with how smoothly Covid logistics went. If we encounter any speed bumps that could help with forum members to ensure their future travel to be stress free, we are happy to share. Stay tuned.

Would be interested to hear from anyone travelling to SBH from Canada and the route they took. In the past I took a direct flight to SXM which has been suspended because of the pandemic....

Seems like there's a fair number of DMV folks around here! We are planning a IAD -> SJU -> SBH trip for later in the year.

Safe travels!

Seems like there's a fair number of DMV folks around here! We are planning a IAD -> SJU -> SBH trip for later in the year.

Safe travels!

We are in the DMV too! We find DCA-SJU-SBH better due to Jet Blue. UA has let us down too many time!

traveling dca to sju via jetblue on the 14th, then taking tradewinds flight to sbh. only way to travel, sxm will never get my business back.

DC here, as well, and also loyal to the jetBlue DCA-SJU and Tradewind SJU-SBH route. I will say that jetBlue has had quite a few cancellations of the regular Saturday SJU-DCA nonstop return this year, though, the adjustments are made well in advance typically, so you're never left scrambling.

We just were notified that our SJU-DCA return flight on a Saturday in February was scrapped, so we opted to switch over to Delta instead since their connecting flights back to DCA made more sense schedule-wise -- and, we were able to get First on Delta for what jetBlue had charged us for Even More Space seats. Regrettably, jetBlue has the only nonstop options from SJU-DCA, and they continue to cancel that leg often with the low passenger loads these days. It is odd since we've never had the DCA-SJU leg down affected (yet...and likely just jinxed myself).

Hi to all. we boarded SWA at BWI and arrived on time at SJU. Our bags beat us to the pickup carousel and we then proceeded to check-in at Tradewinds. Tradewinds asked to see our paper negative tests (which we previously provided to them in an email on Sunday) and then proceeded to SBH. upon arriving we cleared immigration and then, before picking up our bags, were asked again for our paper negative tests. Entry then granted and vacation has started. Easey peasy. One surprise we didnt anticipated was, last night at Les Bananiers, we were asked to sign a contract tracing form with our names, phone numbers and emails. It was our first dinner on the island so cant really be sure if this will be SOP across the island. Some may think that that is an invasion of privacy, but IMHO, I think it's a great idea to keep an eye on the progress of the virus. Also, this morning we shopped for provisions at Costco (the new marche across from the airport) it was busy and no social distancing at all. Everyone was wearing masks but even still, we were anxious and uncomfortable. We will shop elsewhere. Odile at Gumbs assured us that, even though it's busy, it's safe. So far, so good. If you are hesitating on coming, at this point, from what we see, we reccommend you pack your bags.

Signing in is common for tracking patrons in case a case pops up and those in contact who could have possibly been exposed are able to be notified.

Playing under lots of new rules and regulations these days.

. . . this morning we shopped for provisions at Costco (the new marche across from the airport) it was busy and no social distancing at all. Everyone was wearing masks but even still, we were anxious and uncomfortable. We will shop elsewhere. Odile at Gumbs assured us that, even though it's busy, it's safe . . .
Welcome back to the island . . . glad for you that travel went so smoothly.

With regard to your "Costco" experience, I've shopped there many times since its opening and would say that without limiting the number of people in the market at any single time, it is practically impossible to maintain "social distancing" between shoppers. The same goes for every establishment on the island open to the public, including every market on the island. The answer to this dilemma, short of having someone shop for you, probably is to go to markets at times that are off-peak. In my experience, 8 in the morning has been an uncrowded time. I also found that Wednesdays & Thursdays were among the least crowded shopping times. I'd also note that there's no sense of Marche U as a "super-spreader" of Covid.

With further respect to the Costco concept, you might find it interesting to visit "Eco Island SBH," at the former location of Marche U . . . now a wholesale distributor of many grocery products in bulk quantities.

I am set to arrive in SBH at around 5pm on Jan. 12th. I have my RT-PCR test scheduled for 1:50pm on Sat. the 9th. It was the latest time I could get as the site shuts down for the day being a Saturday. It is technically within 3 days of arrival into SBH - the test. However, it is taking place more like 75-76 hours from arrival. Do you think they will get that technical and turn me down? I'm trying to get the test done this Saturday as I can't stand the suspense and wait and want it over with. LOL...thanks in advance for any help you or anyone else may provide.