Chess

JEK

Senior Insider
Who here loved the Queen's Gambit? Hopefully you will enjoy this true story.

Several years back, there was a convention of chess enthusiasts at an historic downtown hotel in Louisville. It appears that some of the players were "overserved" at the open bar, and were getting increasingly noisy and obnoxious as they bragged to each other of their chess exploits. Finally, after several complaints, the concierge addressed the group and asked that they take their gathering out of the common area to someone's room. When one of the group asked "why, what's the matter," the concierge responded that the one thing he could not tolerate was "chess nuts boasting in an open foyer."

Enjoyed that show very much. Sorry it was too short. Both actresses that played the lead were super.

There were actually three:

Anya Taylor-Joy as the mature Beth, Isla Johnston as young Beth and Ananbeth Kelly as five-year-old Beth

Chess-nuts are real ��. Especially at Christmas ������

I humbly plead your indulgences for my ignorance of recent TV series. I have never seen Queen's Gambit, nor have I read the novel. But, I am from Louisville, and I wonder how the 'historic old Louisville hotel' line worked its way into this old, but very witty word play.

He has many more.

I had a friend who thought himself quite the punster, who submitted ten original jokes in to a nationwide contest to find the funniest jokes of the year. He was very confident that at least one of them would garnish him the fame and fortune he sought, but alas, no pun in ten did.

[QUOTE
I miss Bennet Cerf[/QUOTE]
Wow...now there’s a name you don’t often hear.

Remember him from “What’s My Line” and I think the editor/publisher at Random House