3rd Day - November 2020 Trip Report

lvbookworm

SBH Insider
This day was a bit of an uneventful hodge-podge when it came to food and activities, so I thought this day’s review should include a hodge-podge of thoughts and observations from the trip.

We started our day, as usual, at Petite Columbe. One observation we made throughout the week was that they seemed to be limiting the amount of offerings compared to prior visits (i.e. a much smaller selection of pre-made items such as salads and sandwiches). Perhaps this is an attempt to reduce and/or control costs during covid, and if so I completely understand their reasoning. Don't get me wrong - there was always MORE than enough items to choose from with more than enough calories to wreck anyone's diet.

We had lunch reservations at Pearl Beach, so we chose to go a little early to get in more reading and relaxation. This trip’s book comes from a recommendation and review from AmyB called The Winemaker’s Wife by Kristen Harmel. If you haven’t had an opportunity to peruse the book report section on this website (scroll down below all the St Barth forum listings) it is a treasure trove of great suggestions! I couldn’t put this book down and finished it much sooner than anticipated. For the rest of the trip I went back to reading a book from a series called Bruno: Chief of Police by Martin Walker. The series is set in the Périgord region of southwestern France, and follows the crime-fighting pursuits of, you guess it, Bruno the Chief of Police. I find the cultural references, the sprinkling of French language and geographical descriptions intriguing, and the plot is easy enough to follow to be able to put it down one week, pick it up the next week (or month) and still remember the details without having to re-read the last 20 or so pages.

On past trips we’ve had trouble finding a good spot to setup beach chairs and umbrella near Pearl, especially when the wind and waves are up, so we usually choose to rent loungers and umbrella from Caribwaterplay. Their prices are very reasonable, and it provides a lot more privacy than those in front of Pearl. When we arrived there was a group of kids taking a windsurfing class, and while it exhausted me to watch them continually fall off their boards I loved seeing the colors of their sails against the blue water.

IMG_3410.jpeg

Our lunch was very good, but we were both chatting so much we forgot to take pictures. As at Nikki the previous day, the bar area at Pearl was not available for patrons, and the restaurant did a good job of leaving space between tables. All staff were wearing masks, and all customers wore masks when moving about the restaurant.

We had the shrimp tempura appetizer (which is always a solid choice) and followed with the seafood pasta special of the day and the chicken caesar salad. For dessert we had the Tarte Citron (and finally remembered to take a picture). For those who prefer a lemon dessert that is more on the sour side – this is the choice for you!

2A2911F5-0F23-4826-9CAB-496E1B3F8868.jpeg

On our way back to the room we stopped at Marché U for this and that. The few times we went here we were very comfortable with the way people were wearing masks and attempting to distance themselves from others. I was searching for an Advent calendar for our daughter, and I had a hard time choosing from all the unique offerings. These were MUCH better than the cheap versions for sale at our local Albertsons!

88D829FC-6970-4F99-A311-B90459016C48.jpeg

Once back at the room we needed to do a bit of “housekeeping” so to speak. Le P’tit Morne doesn’t have laundry facilities for guest use. They will wash items for you, but it takes 1-2 days to get your items back. It was much easier to do it by hand in the sink using a detergent I found during our trip to Marché U. At about 3 euros a tube it had a pleasant scent, cleaned well and rinsed out easily. Used full-strength it did a respectable job of stain removal.

IMG_3426.jpg

For drying I brought along a portable clothesline and a few plastic clothespins purchased on Amazon. This is a great little item and is extremely versatile for attaching to various types of posts, knobs, etc. Here’s a link in case anyone is interested:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E3OI3FM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We started our evening with a quick drink and a small bite to eat at Bar de L’Oubli. Being Saturday night it was pretty busy, and we were lucky to find a hi-top table set along the edge. Seeing Les Accras de Morue on the menu was an invitation to continue our comparison of the island’s offerings. This version had a little different coating resembling that of tempura – nice and light. The sauce was good but, once again, didn’t compare with Les Bananiers.

A01CAD22-530C-4799-AC91-1680DE304AC0 (1).jpeg

From there we walked over to Baz Bar to watch a jazz group called Urban Groove Unit. It was great to see live entertainment again! We had reservations and were shown to a table out along the water. There were many people in attendance, and I was glad we were sitting outside away from the crowd. While watching the concert we enjoyed a bottle of wine and a couple of generic sushi rolls.

2C237679-8B0B-46F0-821F-3E17D38250F4.jpg

It was an uneventful day, but oh what a perfect uneventful day it was!

Your excellent trip reports are much appreciated. I haven’t travelled more than 75 miles from home this year, and your detailed reports are filling a hole in my life.

Wonderful, color-filled reporting, Amy! Thanks so much for sharing a very special "uneventful day!" (Lemon dessert, BTW, looks divine!)

Another super report and so glad you picked up on one of my reading recommendations too.

Enjoying your reports too, & look forward to those remaining days ! Like KevinS we haven't travelled far either, last was to Charleston SC only 1.5 hrs from Hilton Head area where we live. Any interior pix of where you stayed, is there a fridge/kitchenette ?

Enjoying your reports too, & look forward to those remaining days ! Like KevinS we haven't travelled far either, last was to Charleston SC only 1.5 hrs from Hilton Head area where we live. Any interior pix of where you stayed, is there a fridge/kitchenette ?
See my “2nd day report” for pics of the room. My shot of the kitchen doesn’t show it but there is a full size refrigerator/freezer. I didn’t take many other interior shots, but Le P’tit Morne shows a few pics of the bathroom and sleeping area on their website which are very accurate.
http://www.timorne.com/rooms/deluxe-room-2/