San Juan covid requirements for overnight

Bilnan248

SBH Member
Greetings!

Heading to SB next week through SJU. Overnighting for early flight next morning. It’s our first time flying Tradewind Air. Very excited! Can NOT do the ferry again after AA changed our flight to arrive too late to fly to SB last December. One and DONE for me! 🤢

I called TA and they said we don’t need a 72hr PCR test because we will be less than 24 hours in transit. We will have no problem getting our rapid antigen test required for SB. Is this true? No one will be at the SJU airport to check our trailers??? We have traveled through SXM so many times we are pros. Last time in August without a hitch.

Can anyone advise? Thank you!!

Greetings!

Heading to SB next week through SJU. Overnighting for early flight next morning. It’s our first time flying Tradewind Air. Very excited! Can NOT do the ferry again after AA changed our flight to arrive too late to fly to SB last December. One and DONE for me! 🤢

I called TA and they said we don’t need a 72hr PCR test because we will be less than 24 hours in transit. We will have no problem getting our rapid antigen test required for SB. Is this true? No one will be at the SJU airport to check our trailers??? We have traveled through SXM so many times we are pros. Last time in August without a hitch.

Can anyone advise? Thank you!!

We just arrived this morning doing the same approach you are taking. Love TW! and SJU is sooooo much better than the SXM goat rodeo. TW is correct that in-transit you do not need worry about doing one thing, but they fail to mention some others:
1) The one thing: we tried to exit the airport at the closest door and some National Guard guys asked us for our health registration, or something like that. Well, we didn't know what that was, but assumed it was something related to COVID.
2) So they directed us towards a different exit that passed multiple tables where people in hazmat outfits were processing people. Don't wait in line, just go to the exit and if stopped by a coordinator say you are just in transit and going to your next flight.
3) If you are staying at the airport hotel, they will ask you to present your negative antigen test(s). If staying offsite, not sure if you still need to do that registration at the airport to check in (check with the hotel).
4) You likely have already been asked by TW to provide your negative test via email. Still have a copy handy (electronic or hardcopy), as it will be asked for again by TW to check in for the flight, and then again in SBH when you pass board control.
5) Go to your favorite cafe/bar and have a mimosa or glass of rose -- you made it! :D

I thought you need a negative PCR test for SBH not an antigen test. Has that changed?

Andy, as of last week, it is my understanding that, in addition to the 72 hour rt-PCR option, a 48 hour negative antigen test result is also accepted for entry to SBH (and SXM), but ONLY done with the Becton Dickinson (BD) Veritor Plus antigen test, the Abbott Panbio Covid-19 antigen test and the Roche/SD Biosensor F antigen test.

Andy, as of last week, it is my understanding that, in addition to the 72 hour rt-PCR option, a 48 hour negative antigen test result is also accepted for entry to SBH (and SXM), but ONLY done with the Becton Dickinson (BD) Veritor Plus antigen test, the Abbott Panbio Covid-19 antigen test and the Roche/SD Biosensor F antigen test.

Only the BD Veritor is on the list of Antigen tests that have been granted an EUA by the FDA.

The Abbott Panbio test uses the same biologics as the Abbott antigen test that has an EUA (BinaxNOW) but it uses different format (cassette for Panbio, card for BinaxNOW). Panbio test is marketed in Europe, BinaxNOW in the US.

The EUAs that the FDA has granted for antigen tests are for use in "individuals who are suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider ", Most specify a time frame (e.g., within first 5 days for the BDVeritor). Use for travel screening, would require that those ordering and performing the test sanction that use.

IMG_2191.jpeg

Izzy, in addition to the three antigen tests alluded to in the WIMCO blog referenced above, here's the SXM EHAS info, with respect to the three antigen tests that seem to meet the two islands' criteria, for whatever reasons. I don't have any reason to believe that the islands' decisions would necessarily align with U.S. FDA guidelines.

travel-requirements

Uncertain about staying at the airport hotel, but we spent Thanksgiving at the Courtyard Marriott at Isla Verde last week. Would highly recommend. We’ll be flying through SJU and overnighting there in January, so decided to check the process.
We were asked for our form, which can be completed online (link is online through Southwest Airlines site and includes where/when/results of our rtPCR test-we used the Covid Consultants and were pleased with their service) and generates a QR code that you print. Appeared that very few had done it in advance. Stopped by the same people you reference, who scanned the code and waved us through.
There were no requests upon island departure back to the States.
Additionally, current Puerto Rico limitations include no laying on the beach-only exercise or in the water. Also, entire island has 2200 curfew, so late arrivals beware-nothing is open to eat/drink. No issues being by the pool at the hotel, but 2 Humvees and 2 ATVs patrolled the beach all day, so they are enforcing this.

Izzy, I don't have any reason to believe that the islands' decisions would necessarily align with U.S. FDA guidelines.

I am not suggesting the decisions would or should. The information was meant to point out something of which travelers should be aware.

When entry requirements are limited to specified antigen tests, the tests that meet entry requirements will not necessarily be available to US readers of the forum because of differences between what tests have been approved in the US and elsewhere.

I am not suggesting the decisions would or should. The information was meant to point out something of which travelers should be aware.

When entry requirements are limited to specified antigen tests, the tests that meet entry requirements will not necessarily be available to US readers of the forum because of differences between what tests have been approved in the US and elsewhere.

Ah, now I understand. Interesting.