Antigen Test Approved fro SBH

EddyG

SBH Insider
St. Barth Commuter today emailed me that the antigen test is also OK to enter. Here is exactly the message received:

"For information, in St Maarten and St Barth, they accept now the antigenic test as well. It should be more easy for you."

Now I'm trying to find out where I can get that.

well I know you can get this online. labb.com is one site that sells this. drugstores across the usa should be stocking this test soon if not already.

St. Barth Commuter today emailed me that the antigen test is also OK to enter. Here is exactly the message received:

"For information, in St Maarten and St Barth, they accept now the antigenic test as well. It should be more easy for you."

Now I'm trying to find out where I can get that.

Ed, not sure if you are on or off island, but antigen test are readily available in the U.S, for example, at urgent care facilities, etc. It's the rapid test - also a nasal swab - and results are available in as little as 20 minutes. It has less reliability than the PCR test. Many centers set up same/next day appointments. (I am assuming that "antigenic" = "antigen," but Izzy is probably the most reliable source for that info.)

Airports/airlines are beginning to offer antigen tests as they only take 15 minutes. Good for the traveler, but there are pluses and minuses in accuracy, false positives and false negatives.

Izzy, I could be wrong, but I think this is an antigen rapid test done at the airport (new), and the JB Vault Health PCR test partnership, out a couple of months, is an ‘at home” test?

Without the test type being specified, my guess based on the 48 hour turnaround is that they are providing an airport testing site but still using the same test - a 48 hour turnaround for this service otherwise seems odd... but a lot of things do these days...

The JetBlue/JFK test appears to be a PCR test offered through a partnership with the Port Authority and Fulgent - different partnership than the JetBlue/Vault one but still a molecular rather than antigen test:

NYC Test & Trace Corps and Port Authority Open Free COVID-19 Testing Site at JetBlue’s Terminal Five at JFK Airport, Pilot Program Launches to Provide Free COVID-19 Test Kits to New Yorkers Booked on Return Flights

Interesting. Looks like (for now) it’s (certain) domestic flights (only).

I am going to Ohio for one week and then back to SBH and I cannot find any place that does the antigen test without doctor's orders. Prefer not to rely on the FedEx option because time is not guaranteed. Trying to find out if the new Abbott Lab test would be OK.

I am going to Ohio for one week and then back to SBH and I cannot find any place that does the antigen test without doctor's orders. Prefer not to rely on the FedEx option because time is not guaranteed. Trying to find out if the new Abbott Lab test would be OK.

By my read, the Abbott Lab test is a nasal swab antigen test. Hoping you will be able to confirm its use for reentry to SBH, especially if the test is accessible without a prescription or symptoms.

2020-08-26-Abbotts-Fast-5-15-Minute-Easy-to-Use-COVID-19-Antigen-Test-Receives-FDA-Emergency-Use-Authorization-Mobile-App-Displays-Test-Results-to-Help-Our-Return-to-Daily-Life-Ramping-Production-to-50-Million-Tests-a-Month

I haven't been able to find a lab that offers any of the 3 approved antigen tests https://www.smn-news.com/st-maarten...nts-updated-to-allow-rapid-antigen-tests.html . Does anyone know if the Covid Consultants rt-PCR is accepted in SXM or SBH? I ordered the Covid Consultants test today and made an appointment to get the rapid antigen test (Abbott IDNow) for Tuesday afternoon. I'm due to arrive Friday afternoon. I'm hoping either the Covid Consultants test will suffice or the antigen test specificities won't be looked at too closely. I've also made an appointment for the PCR test for Monday afternoon but with Thursday being Thanksgiving and the labs already backed up, I'm not hopeful the results will arrive soon enough.

Airports/airlines are beginning to offer antigen tests as they only take 15 minutes. Good for the traveler, but there are pluses and minuses in accuracy, false positives and false negatives.

Two considerations regarding the updated St Barth policy as written in the link provided by Dennis - PCR "administered... within... 72 hours ( 3 days) or Antigen... within... 48 hours (2 days) of arrival"

More false negatives for antigen than PCR tests has come up a few times on this forum. This is typically based on comparisons of tests at the same time point. In regard to the uodated St Barth policy, advocates of antigen testing will say that progressive increase in viral load during early infections increases sensitivity of the antigen test over the time period that a PCR obtained earlier awaits processing. This would improve comparative performance of the antigen test vs. the PCR.

The potential for false positives with antigen tests has been addressed in a recent FDA letter. One problem for asymptomatic travelers would be a positive antigen test within "48 hours((2 days)" would generally require clearance by a negative PCR.

I checked with Pres. Bruno Magras about the new Abbott Labs test and he wrote back that for now it is NOT approved. Here is exactly what he sent today:

"We have heard about that test, but as long as the Regional Health Agency did not give us their authorization, we cannot use it.
At the present time, the PCR is still request within 72 hours before arrival.

We are experimenting the antigène tests and the PCR test is no more requested on day 7th
So we'll see."