Who knows the opening line in Moby Dick? What follows is amazing.

JEK

Senior Insider
Call me Ishmael. Some years ago—never mind how long precisely—having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off—then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.

I think we feel about goin to a certain island as Ishmael did about going to sea!

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago—never mind how long precisely—having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off—then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.

I think we feel about goin to a certain island as Ishmael did about going to sea!
I got the first 3 words, John. True story, I was reading “Moby Dick” about 20 years ago, maybe more. My youngest son asked what in the world was I doing reading it, and it wasn’t even a homework or reading assignment. I explained it is often considered one of the best written American novels. I also,explained that I was frustrated and somewhat surprised that after some 500 pages completed Ahab had still not sighted the damn white whale! We shared a good laugh.

I learned the famous opening three words of Melville's masterpiece as a youngster when I first watched the 1956 film. I return to the film often for its story, atmosphere, acting, music and meanings, which I find comforting mostly because it is a sea story. Returning to the island for me is comforting in much the same way.

Living as I do in a house full of books-mine, my wife's and those which my children have left-it has been a great pleasure to occasionally
find, reread and analyze some of those books from my perspective of 70+ years. It is not just great fiction, but also history, or even science.
Particularly surprising, and often humbling, are the grand old medical texts of the early 20th and late 19th century. Often I find startling, accurate observations which were made with only the most rudimentary and basic technology.