What kind of caterpillar is this?

JoR

SBH Insider
They've nearly devoured all the flowers on this tree overnight
84d090da-008f-485c-a6ce-1eb2f81c5de4-1_all_2294.jpg

Birds do not eat them..poisonous.

Like peonies,some critter needs to eat them to keep them blooming. First one, then three, then dozens come to the feast. Sad to see frangipanis stripped. Mine here in Lurin have all survived and grown but not always a pretty sight.

I love frangipani flowers..my first Caribbean flower I discovered back in St. Thomas in 1979. But I did not know this about frangipani (see below):

( I have a bad habit of getting into trouble with my curiosity about Caribbean plants..almost ‘bought the farm‘ in Barbados handling the delicious smelling Manchineel fruit…manchineel, (Hippomane mancinella), tree of the spurge family (Euphorbiaceae) famous for its poisonous properties. The manchineel is native mostly to sandy beaches of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, including Florida.)
(Learned to keep my hands to myself in the tropics🙄🤪)

FYI. Frangipani poisonous to humans?

Beware the Red Frangipani's 🌺 allure: it's a toxic risk for kids and babies, demanding vigilant garden safety! Toxic alkaloids and glycosides in Red Frangipani pose risks. Children especially vulnerable; watch for ingestion and skin contact. Immediate medical action required for ingestion or severe reactions.Dec 16, 2023

Last edited:
The frangipani flowers were the best in years. A very few left. None of us touching anything on that tree. Thanks, all.

Saw one crawling across a step at our villa yesterday in Columbier. Wish I had know this. Have to say pretty cool colors...