Tipping (again)

JoR

SBH Insider
Tonight at Bagatelle, when the waiter pointedly said service was not included and I said it was, my brother spoke w the manager who said it was and goes into a pool shared by all the staff. And that anything added goes to the waiter personally. Haven't heard this before.

We’ve been here for a week. The only tipping request was at Bar Oubli, which now accepts credit cards. Their credit card handhelds, which are different than any others that I’ve seen on-island, have a Toast-style tip screen. Do with it what you will. Or pay cash, which has no tip screen.

Cheryl & I have discussed this. We have always left a bit of euro when we enjoyed the service and ambiance. I have become heated in the past when asked for tip. No longer. We are not going to let negative energy destroy a vacation that we work so hard for or the ambiance of our happy place. If asked we are just going to smile and say thanks + do whatever we wish. See you on the beach

Cheryl & I have discussed this. We have always left a bit of euro when we enjoyed the service and ambiance. I have become heated in the past when asked for tip. No longer. We are not going to let negative energy destroy a vacation that we work so hard for or the ambiance of our happy place. If asked we are just going to smile and say thanks + do whatever we wish. See you on the beach
I agree with this strategy. If you know, you know, be confident in the knowledge that you have with regard to this issue and just politely ignore the solicitations. We always leave a nice "pour boire" (hope I got the spelling) with euros and move along.

Which is what I do.
They haven't been here for a bit and were uncomfortable w the situation and wanted their own info.
I'd just never heard this explanation before.
Dinner, service, ambiance were wonderful; almost magical.
And I did add more!

My 5 [Euro] cents: most restaurants operate on borrowed money and with skinny margins. So if they scare enough repeated customers with the tip demands and not delivering enough (considering that the NYC "high rollers" flow is going down), they will have to close.