In The Sanctuary of Outcasts: A Memoir, by Neil White

rivertrash

Senior Insider
Neil White was a highly successful 31 year old magazine publisher in Oxford, Mississippi. His family went back in Oxford for five generations. He was well-loved in the community and had a beautiful young wife and two great kids. His only problem was that he found it impossible to live within his means, which were substantial. Then he learned about kiting checks. In his mind this wasn't stealing; it was buying time. Well, he bought some time -- 18 months -- in federal prison.

He was assigned to a low-risk facility in Carville, Louisiana that also happened to be the only leprosarium in the continental United States. It was founded in 1896 on an old plantation as a place where people with leprosy could be quarantined and cared for. Federal prisoners shared the facility with the lepers, and though the two groups were supposed to remain segregated, there is a great deal of interaction.

This memoir tells the story of White's time there and of the changes in attitude he experienced regarding money, social position, health and other people unlike him. The characters he met and describes in the book are some of the most interesting I have seen in a long time. I had to keep reminding myself this was non-fiction. This would be a great beach book. Recommended.