February 26, 2015, Dinner at Maya's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now feel that I need to chime in here. I have been very reluctant to do so because I know what a favourite Maya's is with many forum members - but truth be told, Rob and I had a bad experience this past November. We hadn't been since our first trip in 1998 - I said to Rob why don't we go back so we booked for our last night on the island. Dora was welcoming and gracious - but all went downhill from there. The wait staff seemed completely detached and disinterested. After 20 minutes of trying to get the attention of someone we ordered a bottle of wine - it finally arrived 30 minutes later after trying to get the attention of whomever might look our way. Some might say we should have gotten up and tracked SOMEONE down, but we honestly thought it will just be another minute or two.

So almost an hour in, we finally got the attention of a waiter to take our order - I ordered the mahi, I don't remember what Rob ordered. About 45 minutes later our food arrived and my fish was raw. I honesty started to cry - it was our last night and I was SO disappointed. We sent it back but by then I was so upset that I wasn't even hungry.

Randy had been circulating among all of the tables but never stopped by ours. When I burst into tears a waitress eventually came over and offered me a tequila shot. I'm dead serious - salt and lemon included - she said she thought I needed it.

Rob went to the kitchen and said that there was no point in trying to bring out another meal. A couple of the wait staff tried to apologize - and said that Randy and Maya would look after things - we just left.

The restaurant was busy but not full - our reservation was at 8:30 pm on a Saturday night in late November. To be fair, Dora came over shortly after we were seated to say she was leaving early - that girl is a treasure. AND she followed up with an email the next day to apologize profusely for our experience and that they would welcome the opportunity to make it up to us. Thank you Dora!

We won't go back. I think enough people on this forum know Rob and I, and that we're VERY easy-going people. I guess we were just there on a seemingly off-night.

We ended up having burgers at Le Piment.

Sheryl

. . . your experience is so sad, Sheryl. I'm confident that Maya and Randy would be very remorseful to know of your bad treatment. It's not their standard, and it's valuable that you have shared the experience. I'm especially happy to read that you received an appropriate response from Dora.

As noted on occasion, the experiences of others visiting "Maya's" are varied. For anyone who is concerned about the service / attention / food quality they may find, I would recommend that they forget Maya's and go someplace else. Expectations of Maya's are not achieved for all visitors . . . and an unfortunate experience seems to be especially aggravated for folks who visit with trepidation. So, why "give it another chance?" I think the right thing to do is to go to a place where the expectation of a superior experience is higher.

. . .

As noted on occasion, the experiences of others visiting "Maya's" are varied.

thats an understatement....but if I feel the need to gamble I will go sit at a roulette table.....

there is no substitute for consistency when it comes to a restaurants reputation.....it is, in my opinion, the single most important characteristic a restaurant must have ....and having been in the business myself, I can tell you it is the most challenging characteristic to maintain

some have it....some don't

I'm confident that Maya and Randy would be very remorseful to know of your bad treatment. It's not their standard, and it's valuable that you have shared the experience.
As noted on occasion, the experiences of others visiting "Maya's" are varied. For anyone who is concerned about the service / attention / food quality they may find, I would recommend that they forget Maya's and go someplace else. Expectations of Maya's are not achieved for all visitors . . . and an unfortunate experience seems to be especially aggravated for folks who visit with trepidation. So, why "give it another chance?" I think the right thing to do is to go to a place where the expectation of a superior experience is higher.

alice_tenniel_curiouser.jpg

When I burst into tears a waitress eventually came over and offered me a tequila shot. I'm dead serious - salt and lemon included - she said she thought I needed it.

Greatest line ever posted in a review!

I'm sorry you had such a bad time, but your review gave me a chuckle this morning.......it's right out of a Monty Python sketch!

'm confident that Maya and Randy would be very remorseful to know of your bad treatment. It's not their standard, and it's valuable that you have shared the experience.

It's interesting that you would say that Dennis, because both Randy and Maya were well aware of how upset we were. And still neither one came over although Randy was still circulating and Maya had even come out and sat with some folks at another table. They kept sending different wait staff over to our table to convey their messages - first to tell us that Randy would take care of the wine, then to give the blubbering woman a tequila shot, and finally to tell us that Maya said it was all on the house. Even though all we had consumed was a bottle of wine and two tequila shots (I downed Rob's too). Rob might have had a couple of bites from his meal but then had to console said blubbering woman who had consumed a 1/2 bottle of wine and two tequila shots on an empty stomach :apple:

They were both there and had ample opportunity to come and talk to us personally. We did not make a scene (except for me trying to control my sobs), we were not confrontational in the least - we are very calm and rational people. I really don't know why things went so wrong.

And obviously someone had to have told Dora about it since she had left before it all went down (we had made our reservation through email so she had our email address) - that's how she reached out the next day to apologize.

Again, I was reluctant to share our experience but when Dick said he was troubled and would like facts to back up someone's negative claim I felt compelled to post clear facts about our experience. C'est la vie - stuff happens and we move on.

two tequila shots (I downed Rob's too)

Sheryl,
I am so sorry your last meal on the island was so awful...but I admire your spirit! At least you have a hilarious story to tell about it.
We've never met but you guys sound like our kind of peeps :D

Well, Sheryl, I'm not sure that the fact that Randy and Maya did not come over to talk with you ("a blubbering woman" who had consumed two tequila shots & a half bottle of wine on an empty stomach) leads to a conclusion that they were not "remorseful."

The one thing that is "clear" among the facts is that it was a nightmarish experience for you and your husband. Like others here, I'm so very sorry for your memorably horrible time. As I said earlier, I think that it's valuable that you shared your experience and now can "move on." (Let's do so with a story about a great time you've had on the island . . . what stands out as your greatest dining experience?)

Thanks, Sheryl, for your post. I appreciate your sharing the facts of your negative experience, and I am so sad for you and Rob to go through this, and especially on your last night. We know how disappointing it is to have a bad experience on our last night.

Well, Sheryl, I'm not sure that the fact that Randy and Maya did not come over to talk with you ("a blubbering woman" who had consumed two tequila shots & a half bottle of wine on an empty stomach) leads to a conclusion that they were not "remorseful."

Oh wow, this is precisely the reason why I didn't want to post anything about this at all. I am well aware of the fact that Randy and Maya have MANY friends and supporters here. And may you continue to have awesome experiences.

Dennis, I haven't met you personally but I've been a member on this forum for many years now - and I've always enjoyed your posts and stories.

My attempt at injecting some humour into the situation obviously backfired with you. I admire your loyalty and protectiveness toward your friends. But please don't make any inferences as to my character - I was not a blubbering idiot at all. Just my way to try and lighten the mood.

Sorry I ever posted in the first place. I certainly wouldn't have done so if I thought for even a moment that my character would be called into question.

Mods, it might be best to take down everything from my first post onwards. It obviously has ruffled some feathers and likely will continue to do so.

Lesson learned.

Sheryl

The one thing that is "clear" among the facts is that it was a nightmarish experience for you and your husband. Like others here, I'm so very sorry for your memorably horrible time. As I said earlier, I think that it's valuable that you shared your experience and now can "move on." (Let's do so with a story about a great time you've had on the island . . . what stands out as your greatest dining experience?)

I am surprised to see this condescending cheap shot.

Sheryl,
I am so sorry your last meal on the island was so awful...but I admire your spirit! At least you have a hilarious story to tell about it.
We've never met but you guys sound like our kind of peeps :D

Aw, and thanks Mary Beth! I was trying to make the best of the situation, and I sure appreciate that you caught on to the bit of humour that I was trying to inject. I'll think once, twice, and THREE times before I share a less-than-stellar experience. We're on vacation, that's cool.

And BTW we have more in common that you know! My dad was an executive with PPG so we spent many years in Pittsburgh - I went to high school in Upper St Clair. I'm sure we could bond over tequila shots - and much more!!

Cheers,

Sheryl

So, we have several (3 or 4) beloved friends of the forum who may want to rephrase a word or two on a post in this travel forum. Let's all take a deep breath and call an end to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.