Almanac says it's Time to start Planting

fins85258

Senior Insider
Spring Snow Art.png

Yeah given the very deep snow pack we got right now we ll probably wait til end of March .....

we re doing less things you have to plant and more things that just come back naturally......so more blueberries...apples...rhubarb....raspberries....strawberries...grapes......I think this year we re just planting peas, carrots, beans, kale and sunflowers

I saved my seeds and grew them under lights for 40 years. It became a project after we got the cats. They just loved seedlings and I had to close doors and remind the cleaning lady who would forget from time to time and so forth. It was time for a break.

yeah I hear ya

you know what's funny?......I made a small composted dirt pile in my back yard just at the edge of the woods.....and every Thanksgiving week i take one of our pumpkins we have around the house for decoration and toss it in the dirt pile...And just let it decompose on the pile.....and the next year I get pumpkins!!'.......true low maintenance gardening

we re doing less things you have to plant and more things that just come back naturally......so more blueberries...apples...rhubarb....raspberries....strawberries...grapes......I think this year we re just planting peas, carrots, beans, kale and sunflowers

Yeah, I hear you. Every year I try to grow less and less just so I can keep up with the bounty, both in the garden and in the kitchen. Every August there's a point where it becomes a chore to ​even give tomatoes away! (I won't even get into the hours and hours spent harvesting them every week) Sensible neighbors only want 5 or 10 tomatoes, but I need to get rid of 20 or 30, per person! I used to grow 50 plants from about 40 varieties. Then I reduced it to about 34 plants, which was still completely unmanageable and overkill. This year I'm gong to try to get down to about 24 plants which is probably overkill, but there are so many colors, flavors, sizes, varieties, etc to chose from that it's hard to get it down to a manageable number.

Poor me!

If you're ever in the DC area in August or September, let me know. I'll hook you up with as many tomatoes as you can fit in your car!

We have so many great farms selling veggies ( including amazing tomatos ) within a few miles of Us that it s just not worth it to take it on on a large scale .......

And then at the end of the growing season they give it away.....we usually get 50 pounds of assorted winter squash and twenty pounds of beets for around 25 bucks

Down here in the "big city" the prices are much higher. You can got broke shopping at these farmers markets.

oh not here...no middle man...the farms literally have a family run stand on their property......its cheap all season long but gets ridiculously cheap as they get closer to closing up for the season.....and even some of the meat/poultry farms have stands on property in season as well....

good eats...cheap for us....and with no middle man or the overhead of an off property store, great margins for them........a win win for everyone

I get my corn and veggies in season where it's grown. Farmers' Market has some growers but it's more expensive because they have to pay rent.