The largest tortoise we have ever seen on St Barts

CharAp

SBH Member
P1040879-sml.jpg
Seen by the Auberge de Petite Anse

There was a large one along the road on the curvy part heading down to Yo Sushi Mania but not as big as the one in the photo.

Whoa. That is, as my Grams would say, a very wise turtle. ;)

Those of you with turtle knowledge (ChasBid..?), what is the age difference between that one and this wee little lad/lassie...?

image.jpg

Whoa. That is, as my Grams would say, a very wise turtle. ;)

Those of you with turtle knowledge (ChasBid..?), what is the age difference between that one and this wee little lad/lassie...?

View attachment 30289

Kona the turtle whisperer said that turtles are similar to trees. Count the etched rings around the yellow dot on the shell. He can't see real close but figures the little guy to be 6 months and the big guy 30 years??? KR

Lots of tortoises around Auberge along with that big guy captured in this thread ....and they love red hibiscus flowers

image.jpg

Are there any predators for these guys on the island? Feral cats?

I can see a gull tacking a whack at the lil guy...but the big one? Nah...

other then cats or dogs no.....and even then they only go after younger ones....'

gulls dont take whacks at anything shelled..they simply grab em...fly up and drop em to the ground...I see them do that almost everyday on the cape

other then cats or dogs no.....and even then they only go after younger ones....'

gulls dont take whacks at anything shelled..they simply grab em...fly up and drop em to the ground...I see them do that almost everyday on the cape

The ground...or the occasional car roof...LOL

yeah that too.....some days our parking lot in the marina looks like a battlefield...crabs and clams everywhere.....you need a hard hat