NY Post on St Barts

andynap

Senior Insider
No glaring errors. Not a bad review.

Where to eat, stay and play on divinely chic St. Barts

By Jennifer CeaserJanuary 26, 2015 | 3:50pm

Modal Trigger

stefanocandito-com.jpg

Poolside at the newly rebranded Cheval Blanc St-Barth Isle de France. Photo: Courtesy of Cheval Blanc St-Barth Isle de France

Every New Year’s Eve, St. Barts becomes the Babylon of the Caribbean — with celebrities like Sean “Diddy” Combs, Rihanna and Leo DiCaprio (along with his model entourage) partying in lavish hillside villas and on gargantuan yachts.
Now that the VIPs have (mostly) cleared out, this French territory has returned to its naturally chic state — and anyone can indulge (provided you have the funds).
Here’s where to go.
Stay

Modal Trigger
hotel_guanahani_st_barth_may_2013__-100-a.jpg
The colorful, renovated Le Guanahani resort.Photo: Le Guanahani

With a just-completed $40 million, four-year renovation — and a slight name tweak — Le Guanahani emerges as one of the island’s top resorts. A mix of 67 brightly colored cottages, the property — set on a private, 18-acre peninsula — boasts a Spa by Clarins, a Frederic Fekkai salon, two restaurants, a thatched-roofed beach bar, a fitness center, tennis courts, two pools, two beaches, a kids club and watersports galore. (From $1,118)
The rebranded Cheval Blanc St-Barth Isle de France is the newest in luxury conglomerate LVMH’s portfolio — and though changes to the 40-key resort are subtle, they are welcomed. There’s now a glamorous, modern taupe and pink palette throughout, a plethora of covetable bathroom amenities (including hair products by Paris’ Leonor Greyl), a new fitness center with ocean views and the Caribbean’s only Guerlain spa. Some things, fortunately, haven’t changed: the spectacular location, right on Flamands Bay, and Executive Chef Yann Vinsot’s excellent cuisine. (From $1,020)
Dine

Modal Trigger
5783hotel_-33-a.jpg
Eden Rock’s On The Rocks restaurant.Photo: Jean Etienne Portail

Some places never go out of style, like the legendary Eden Rock hotel’s On The Rocks, an open-air restaurant dramatically perched atop a giant boulder, with coral reefs and the turquoise Caribbean stretching out below.
Modal Trigger
fullsizerender_-9.jpg
Mega-fresh lobster at La Langouste.Photo: Jennifer Ceaser

Jean-Georges Vongerichten, with Executive Chef Eric Desbordes, created the gourmet menu, which is heavy on native seafood — especially spiny lobster.
A local favorite, La Langouste is a casual poolside spot at the Baie des Anges hotel on Flamands Bay that’s famous for its super-fresh lobster — choose your spiny friend straight from the tank.
In Gustavia, try the scene-y ceviche hotspot Bonito, which overlooks the harbor and is famous for its sunset views, and L’Isola, for scrumptious pastas made in-house.
Play

Modal Trigger
eg__-54-1.jpg
St. Barts has a number of fine beaches — some nude, some not.Photo: St. Barts Tourism

Posh resorts, fabulous food, lean, tanned, beautiful people — you’re surrounded by them on St. Barts — but you’re also never far from one of the island’s spectacularly lovely (and totally free) beaches.
St. Jean Beach, centrally located next to Eden Rock, is buzzy but crowded; the complete opposite is Colombier Beach, only reachable via boat or by hiking a long, rugged trail.
If you want to bare it all, there’s Anse de Grande Saline and Gouverneur Beach — both on the southern coast. But our pick for the ideal mix of wide beach, protected coves, calm waters and great meal options is Flamands Beach.
5 MORE TIPS FOR VISITING

Modal Trigger
lb_-142-1.jpg
Bring euros before you shop St. Barts.Photo: St. Barts Tourism

Rent a car. Most visitors don’t do everything at one resort because the island has so many excellent restaurants and beaches worth exploring. Plus, taxis are outrageously overpriced. Be sure to ask for a map; Google Maps/navigation doesn’t work here. And monitor the gas tank — there are only two stations on the island and both are closed on Sunday.
Bring euros. Smaller places only take cash, and this is a French territory, so US dollars are not valid here.
Find out if you need to pack an adapter. Call ahead to your hotel and ask what kind of electrical outlets are in the rooms — many are only European.
Learn some French. English is spoken widely, but not in every place (and not all menus are translated). Consider downloading a French/English dictionary or phrases app on your phone.
Chill out about the smoke. Smoking is permitted just about everywhere — even in fine-dining restaurants, hotels and on beaches. Be sure to request a non-smoking room and accept that you’ll probably smell cigarettes at many points throughout your visit

this is the only thing I might question: Bring euros. Smaller places only take cash, and this is a French territory, so US dollars are not valid here.

I can't think of anyplace that does not take dollars..

this is the only thing I might question: Bring euros. Smaller places only take cash, and this is a French territory, so US dollars are not valid here.

I can't think of anyplace that does not take dollars..

Right. Should have said you will get ripped off if you use dollars.

I wouldn't say ripped off. I might say that you should pay attention to the exchange rate, which may not be current, and may not be as favorable as you might like. I usually have $, €, and plastic, and I pay in whichever manner is most favorable to me. Occasionally, when it's in my favor, I pay in $.

not only that but the restaurants and hotels are not banks so they don't have to offer the bank rate, but by taking dollars they are being accommodating to people who might want to pay that way...

not only that but the restaurants and hotels are not banks so they don't have to offer the bank rate, but by taking dollars they are being accommodating to people who might want to pay that way...

Oh I'm not blaming the establishments to charge whatever exchange rate they want but I have yet to find a rate that is comparable to the published rate except maybe Marche which I have never used.

The Hideaway SB party is advertised at €50 or $60. Not the perfect market rate, but the change making is simple :)