St Barths over NYE with kids

daniela

SBH Insider
We are back from St Barths and it was as great as always.
We flew from Germany via Miami to SXM on the 25[SUP]th[/SUP] of December, where we arrived at 11pm, because the flight was delayed due to some security reasons.
We rented a car from Avis at Juliana airport and drove to Orient Bay. We stayed at the L´Hoste Hotel and that was a positive surprise. It is a small 3star hotel at the beach and the room was nice and spacious with a veranda. We had breakfast at the beach and the hotel provided sun beds and the Beach Bar was also nice.

DSC08657.jpg
In the afternoon we went to Baie Rough, our favourite beach on St Martin. The next morning we drove to Grand Chase airport and returned the car. The airport is small and friendly and we were happy, that we did not have to go through SXM airport.

Arriving in St Barth was as magic as always. Joe waited at the airport and 20 minutes after we landed, we were on the terrace of our villa. We rented Villa Les Laurieres from the Joe, the owner and the booking and preparings were so easy and friendly.

Usually we like to stay at the beach, but my two favourite villas are not on the rental market anymore and the others were so expensive over NYE, that we had to find an alternative. And we did! The Villa has two separate bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms, a living room with kitchen and nice terrace and a small pool.
DSC08772.jpg
DSC08722.jpg
DSC08781.jpg

The house is perfectly and totally screened, so mosquitoes were no issue at all in the house. We all liked the villa and spent a wonderful time.

The villa is in Anse de Cayes. Unfortunately the beach in Anse de Cayes was packed with seaweed all the time and so was the sea itself. But my favourite beaches Gouverneur and Saline were fine.
IMG_4462.JPG
DSC09034.jpg

So every morning, we were up early due to the time difference, we stopped at the bakery in Colombier and drove to one of the two beaches for a breakfast on the beach.
IMG_5566.JPG

The kids had a lot of fun with their bodyboards and our stand up paddle. (SUP) I gave the SUP to my husband for Christmas and of course he wanted to take it to St Barths. St Jean was the best place for paddeling. The beach in Marigot was extremely small this year and also lots of seaweed. But St Jean was fine and we actually used the SUP a lot. (still not the best plan to travel over seas with it as one can rent them.)

On Sunday we had a perfect brunch at Le Toiny. This time they did the BBQ next to the buffet and also had ribs. The lobster was good and I could actually go there very day.

We had Lunch at Le Tamarin the next day and loved it. DSC09115.jpg
Also at La Plage, Sand Bar and Nikki Beach.

Foto 02.01.15 20 11 27.jpg
IMG_4911.JPG

All were equally good and the atmosphere was great. In the evenings we stopped at Le Select or LÉntract or did some BBQ in the villa.

The island was full, but not packed. We had made reservations in advance for every lunch, which was a good idea.

On NYE we did a lobster BBQ and went to Gustavia afterwards and joined the party at the harbour. It was great and we strolled around the town later.
DSC09637.jpg

DSC09151.jpg

The party changed a bit over the last ten years (last time we spent NYE on St Barths), but it still was great fun.

The weather was mixed- it rained every day once or twice and I have never before seen so many mosquitoes on the island. I sprayed the whole family day and night with DEET products and the kids did not get a single bit, I got 5, my husband 4. So no chikungunya, but maybe a DEET poisoning, as I applied it several times a day and used the milk roll-on for the face.
On the way back, we had to take the ferry as our flight time changed and we could not get any earlier flight on the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] of January. The ferry was an adventure- last time we used was about 15 years ago and it must have been a day without waves. If I had experienced this before: I would remember! It was a bit like a rollercoaster, the boat went up and down all the time. The waves were very high and no one was allowed outside. I was pretty happy arriving in Phillipsburg. From SXM we flew to New York where we stopped for one night and afterwards we flew from JFK zu Duesseldorf, where we live.
Immigration was pretty easy in Miami and New York, compared to what I experienced in the past years. Within 45 minutes we had passed the border. Compared to 3,5 hours in Miami last year, 4 hours in LA and 3 hours in NY, that was great.

So, we had a wonderful relaxing time, great food and a lot of fun at the beach. The perfect family vacation. Still, I will probably go back to travelling to St Barths in March or April, as long as the kids are young, but we would book the villa again.

Great report and photos! You say the island was busy, but the beaches still look quiet. Glad to see that. I'd love to do a trip over the winter holidays someday.

Terrific report, Daniela. Thanks for all the photos and details. Glad you and your family had a great time.

Yes, the beaches were quiet at 8 o´clock in the morning, when we usually arrived. :D (due to the time difference of 5 hours we were up early)
That changed during the day a lot and the beaches got very busy. At Gouverneur they sometimes parked all the way up the hill....

Very nice report, Daniela. Thank you! The photo of you is quite nice. Your smile and the flute of champagne tells a very relaxing story!

Wonderful photos and excellent trip report! Thank you for sharing your New Year's trip with us! Sehr schön!

Very nice report!!! The photos are great----especially the beach ones (craving warm sand and water here)! Thanks for sharing:)

Sorry about the mosquitoes! The photo especially of the water at the beach was great! Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

daniela, I really like your report, so I've fixed it so that it can be accessed from both our main forums. Thanks again for posting.:up: