upcoming music in AP

MIke R

Senior Insider
some great line ups coming...

[h=1]Light of Day: LaBamba moves from E Street to 'Conan'[/h]
1406745784000-chris-jordan.jpg
Chris Jordan, @ChrisFHJordan2 p.m. EST January 11, 2015
B9315740217Z.1_20150111110851_000_G6G9J62SD.1-0.jpg

(Photo: COURTESY OF Randex Communications)

241CONNECT
13TWEETLINKEDIN
COMMENTEMAILMORE

A Philadelphia-born guy like Richie "LaBamba" Rosenberg didn't know Asbury Park from a rest stop on the Garden State Parkway when he first came to town in 1976.
"People from Philadelphia didn't go to the north Jersey Shore," Rosenberg said. "They would stop at Atlantic City. That's as far north as they would go."
Rosenberg, a longtime fixture of Asbury's music scene who now appears on TV's "Conan," makes his return to the city after a 10-year hiatus when he headlines the 15th anniversary Light of Day Winterfest 2015 Main Event, Saturday, Jan 17, at the Paramount Theatre in Asbury Park. LaBamba's Big Band will feature frontmen Southside Johnny and Gary U.S. Bonds and a 13-piece horn section.
Back in '76, Rosenberg received an offer he couldn't refuse — a chance to join the Asbury Jukes on trombone. Jukes trumpet player Rock Gazda, also a Philly guy, was his in. Rosenberg, who was playing with singer Vicki Allen in Schenectady, New York, said yes. He jumped in his car in his white stage suit and drove south when he saw the sun come up over the Driscoll Bridge.
He moved in with Gazda and another Juke, Tony Pallagrosi. His playing was — and is — strong and soulful, displaying power, groove and the joy of music.
B9315740217Z.1_20150111110851_000_G6G9J62SF.1-0.jpg
Richie “LaBamba” Rosenberg and his trombone.(Photo: COURTESY OF Randex Communications)

"I loved having him in the horn section," said Pallagrosi, also founder of the Light of Day, "He's a very forceful player and it made my job so much easier. He's one of those guys who says, 'Follow me,' and that's what you do. It's not something he has to say. He says it with his playing."
And his personality.
"He's a larger than life figure and a tremendous personality," Pallagrosi said. "He's one of the funniest guys I ever met."
The personality comes through on "Conan" and before that on "The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien" and "Late Night with Conan O'Brien," where Rosenberg is often the put-upon comedic foil of O'Brien.
"It's been great on 'Conan' and in the 21 years I've been with him, it continues to be a great ride," said Rosenberg, who now lives in California with his wife and children.
Since '76, Rosenberg has led or played with a configuration of horns, which includes Eddie Manion and Mark Pender, who have played with Southside Johnny, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Steven Van Zandt, Jon Bon Jovi, Diana Ross and more.
Springsteen helped Rosenberg get his nickname. It happened one night at the back bar of the Stone Pony.
"Gary Anderson (of the Asbury Jukes) gave me the nickname," Rosenberg said. "All the guys in the Jukes had nicknames and Gary noticed my 'fro and Fu Manchu and said I looked like a Mexican Jew. Gary yelled out 'LaBamba' and Bruce jumped up on stage and said 'LaBamba' and it stuck."
Rosenberg, who played with the E Street Band during the 2009 Super Bowl halftime show, made a tough decision in 2012 not to join E Streeters for the "Wrecking Ball" tour.
"We're very happy for those who are playing with the (E Street Band). We're especially happy for Eddie (Manion on saxophone). We had to make a decision what to do," Rosenberg said. "We were asked and we're happy with what we did.
"We've been working on the show for a long time and as long as we're working on it, it's a great big family, just as Bruce and the Jukes have the same type of family."
MORE: Light of Day: Bob Benjamin and the Springsteen factor
Now it's Light of Day time. Things are getting funny at the fest this year with a New York City comedy club crawl starring Artie Lange on Tuesday, Jan. 13. Lange, a Toms River homeowner, will appear at the 6:30 p.m. show at Stand Up NY, a 9 p.m. show at the New York Comedy Club and an 11 p.m. show at the Village Underground.
Back in Asbury Park, the Cover Me Best of New Jersey Bar Bands on Sunday, Jan 11 at the city's Stone Pony gets things into high gear today at 1 p.m. The day is highlighted by a Cats on a Smooth Surface reunion featuring Glen Burtnik, Harry Filkin, Peter Schulle, Tommy LaBella and more.
As an added bonus, Joel Krauss, formerly of Cats and Holme — Holme is also on the bill — will be there, and so will his daughter, Alexis Krauss, who's now known for her own band, Sleigh Bells.
On Thursday, Jan 15, look for a "Sopranos" reunion at Asbury Lanes as the HBO show's Vincent "Big Pussy" Pastore takes over with his group, the Gangster Squad featuring Killer Joe. Should law-abiding citizens be fearful of a crime wave at the Lanes?
"Not me, I'm Italian," Pallagrosi said.
The sold-out Main Event also will include Joe Grushecky and the Houserockers, Willie Nile, Pat DiNizio, Garland Jeffreys, John Eddie and His Big Ol' Band, Guy Davis, John Easdale, Billy Hector and Dawg Whistle, featuring E Street Band drummer Vini Lopez and Paul Whistler.
It's a birthday party for Light of Day founder Bob Benjamin, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1996.
Springsteen has played in 10 of the previous 14 Light of Day Main Events, all unannounced.
Parkinson's is a chronic and progressive neurological condition that affects movement and muscle control, according to the Parkinson's Disease Foundation website, www.pdf.org.
Doctors still are not sure of the cause, and for now, there is no cure for the estimated 1.5 million to 2 million Americans who have Parkinson's.
The fest, which also serves as a de facto celebration of the musical heritage of Asbury Park, will feature shows and events in the city through Sunday, Jan. 18, including an exhibit honoring the '50s and '60s-era musicians from the west side of Asbury Park at the Heaven Art & Antiques gallery on Cookman Avenue.
B9315740217Z.1_20150111110851_000_G6G9J62S1.1-0.jpg
Richie “Labamba” Rosenberg and Southside Johnny take center stage.(Photo: COURTESY OF Randex Communications)

There also will be an Asbury Underground gallery crawl featuring live music on Saturday, Jan. 17, before the Main Event.
The Asbury Park Press is a title sponsor.
At the Main Event, LaBamba's Big Band will feature members of "Conan's" Basic Cable Band, the former Max Weinberg 7, and former member of the Asbury Jukes, including Mark "Love Man" Pender, Mike Spengler and Gazda on trumpet; Jerry Vivino, Stan Harrison and Frank Elmo on sax; and Dan Levine on trumpet.
"We wanted to give people who travel here from Europe and Canada a

Conan? You stay up to watch Conan? I disagree about Philly guys not going past AC. I went to LBI once :). I saw Gary Bonds in Wildwood when I was in Law School. He has to be ancient- LOL

Bruce should be playing at the Convention Hall tonight in Asbury. He shows every year the Light of Day concert