12/4 - 12/13

ccg

SBH Insider
9 GREAT Days - 12/4-12/13
Bill and I enjoyed our 12[SUP]th[/SUP] visit to SBH, andeven thought we could not keep up with Bart and all of his girlfriends, we hadanother great vacation!!!

Our 1[SUP]st[/SUP] day was a wash out, literally. I have not seen it rain that hard in a coupleof years. It was impressive. But we didn’t care, we were not at work. After that we could not have asked for betterweather. It was beautiful!!!! I did secretly ask for some big puffy cloudsoccasionally to come by, but I could not even get those. Such a tough life. Theseaweed turned out not to be a problem for us, we only visited Saline, ShellBeach, St. Jean, and Gouverneur . The sunsets were lovely. We stayed at Villa Sud Ouest again, and theview is fantastic. We have reserved for2015! We were so relaxed by Saturday afternoon;it was difficult to head home. We readsome books, napped, listened to music, read (tried) the daily paper each day,walked on the beaches, only a bit of shopping – basically we did nothing.

Bart did a great job capturing our week on the island. I enjoyed his posts even while there. Continue posting those pictures my friend.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday. Happy Hanukah, Merry Christmas and Happy NewYears

We enjoyed in no particular order
· Le Repaire
· Le Carre
· La Gloriette
· Les Bananiers
· Do Brazil
· Santa Fe
· Provenca – Their tomato tart will give Manu a run forhis money :) - I enjoyed our dinner – we werewell looked after and I enjoyed the evening. **Warning – on the left hand side of the front row left table is a stepthat I fell into as I got up from my chair. NOT a graceful way to exit a restaurant.**
· Le Grainde Sel
· Nikki’s Beach
· The Hideaway
· Sunset cocktails with Bart and Kim at our villa
· Le Bar de L'Oubli
· Maya’s to Go
· Monbart – LOVE the Sexy Rebecca – champagne andraspberry concoction – Te Punch was tasty, served in a brandy snifter with a baseballsized ice cube (perfect sphere)
· Le Jardin – why can’t we make subs like theirs??The curry chicken is our go to for the plane ride home
Le Select

Charlotte

I enjoyed your reporting as I'm enjoying watching your Blue Devils play Conn.:up::up:

·Monbart – LOVE the Sexy Rebecca – champagne andraspberry concoction – Te Punch was tasty, served in a brandy snifter with a baseballsized ice cube (perfect sphere)

My recollection is that the ice sphere was more like golf ball size............but yeah, very cool. A perfect sphere.

And I had my first ever Ti Punch (and possibly my first ever mixed drink........I'm not counting mimosas in the mixed drink category)

Who has a recipe?

TiPunch-004-de1.jpg

[h=2]Ingredients[/h]
  • 2 ounces Rhum Agricole
  • lime(s)
  • cane syrup

Glass Type: old-fashioned glass

[h=2]Instructions[/h]Mix rhum agricole,* a good squeeze of lime,** and cane syrup to taste*** in an Old-Fashioned glass or smallish tumbler. Stir until the syrup is dissolved and add 1 or 2 ice cubes, if you're going to sip it. Cane syrup, familiar to residents of the Caribbean or Deep South, can be hard to find elsewhere; about the only thing we can suggest is to try boiling up a cup of unrefined sugar -- that "Sugar in the Raw" stuff -- with 1/2 cup water. Let us know. (By the way -- Lyle's Golden Syrup, the canned stuff prized by bakers and British expats? Cane syrup.)
* White rum is traditional, but it can be on the nasty side. As profligate Americans, we use the dark, aged stuff in ours; among the brands one comes across Stateside are Neisson, La Favorite, Clement, Saint-James, J. Bally, and Kaniche.
** Roll the lime firmly on a hard surface, cut it in two, and squeeze one of the halves over the glass.
*** Anything from a teaspoon to a tablespoon; the traditional proportion is 3 to 4 parts rum to 1 part syrup, but we find this too sweet.

Monbart has multiple sizes of molds for making those perfectly spherical ice balls.

'Ti Punch is just rhum, cane syrup, and a good squeeze of lime. Ice is discretionary.

The rhum is preferably rhum agricole, made from cane syrup. Ten Cane may be an easier find. The proper cane syrup is all but impossible to find here. I bring bottles of Canadou home with me, others just substitute a homemade simple syrup.

Start with a 3:1 ratio of Rhum to Syrup, and experiment until you find the ratio that works for you.

Sorry for the messy display in my original post. I wrote it in word then copied it over. It looked ok before I hit the go button.

The Ti Punch was made with dark rum and had whole cloves floating around. I didn't notice any lime flavor, but I was busy with my raspberries.

Hopefully Bart will post the sunset video. It was not the best night but the colors were lovely.

And now after driving at home for a week, I am not looking over my left shoulder for a scooter to pass me. :evil:

C

Hopefully Bart will post the sunset video. It was not the best night but the colors were lovely.

And now after driving at home for a week, I am not looking over my left shoulder for a scooter to pass me. :evil:

C

Yes!...........the video will be posted. Just as soon as I figure out how to upload to the youtube.

I haven't been looking for scooters, but my left foot keeps reaching for the clutch that isn't there. Weird sensation.

Bartholomew - (I love auto-replace) get the Google Capture app. Best way to upload from iPhone.

Charlotte - thanks for the report - glad to hear about great views at Sud Ouest - we are staying there in February.

Libby - The pictures on VRBO for the villa are true representative of what you will see. There is still construction on 4 villas below the villa, so a little noisey in the morning. The hammock is a fantastic way to spend the evening hours. Keep the curtains closed in the late afternoon, it can get hot in the main room if it is a clear sunny day. Enjoy your time there, we certain did. Ernest also is his own pool guy and comes by every morning early.

C

Monbart Ice Speheres

We found the Cirrus ice ball maker to be the best on the market (although expensive)

We have them in a 2.0" and 2.75" sphere.

We are the distributor for them on St. Barth's if you happen to need one.

They are best for our aged rhums and other spirits that don't require other mixers etc.

Please feel free to ask for one vs standard glacon, there is no additional charge and it is really fun to watch.

Monbart!!!

Any chance you can give us the recipe for your Ti punch? It was the only one I've ever had and really loved it. I'd love to attempt to make it at home, but don't want the run of the mill version, I want yours!

Thanks!