Thanksgiving on the island

JEK

Senior Insider
lbl.jpg

Karen,

I've been to the location many times, but not under the current ownership. While the location is very convenient to where I stay, the menu has not appealed. For example, Spicy Turkey Grilled on the BBQ? No thanks - nothing Traditional about that!

I agree that this menu doesn't appeal. Wasn't it (pardon my spelling) K Fe Massi before? I'm thinking next to Le Bouchon and Oasis?

That's the place. K'fe Massäi, then La Table de Jules, and now La Boca Loca. La Bouchon has more appeal, and Oasis is a regular grocery stop.

Soursop

image.jpg

Little did I know that this popular fruit, known as corossol or kowosol in Haitian creole, and as guanabana in Spanish-speaking countries, is known for having incredible health benefits and is one of the most commonly used medicinal plants in the Caribbean. The pulp is often eaten directly from the fruit, but it can also be made into a tea or milk (or ICE CREAM) and can form a concentrate by crushing its leaves to form a powder. What makes soursop a "hot topic" fruit is that it is constantly being researched for its proclaimed anti-cancer benefits.

Benefits:

• high amounts of vitamins B1, B2, and C
  • mild sedative, diuretic, anti-hypertensive, anti-inflammatory, etc.
  • there is scientific evidence indicating that soursop's extracts can selectively inhibit the growth of human breast cancer cells
  • when consumed alone during periods of fasting, it relieves liver ailments and other impurities

Uses:

• can cure head-lice and bedbugs #whoa
  • can alleviate skin eruptions (including eczema, wounds, and poisonous reactions)
  • can prevent UTI's (due to its high levels of vitamin C, which increases the acidity level of urine, which in turn decreases the number of bad bacteria present in the urinary tract)
  • can alleviate constipation due to a high level of fiber

The uses are almost endless. It's known as a"miracle fruit" in many countries in the Carribean. What a fruit! Can't wait to eat this up during my next trip to Haiti (in a few weeks)!