Palmer St Barts Trip - Nov 18th to 25th, 2014

The Palmer trip goes in a special category of living large! Thanks for taking us along!

The Palmer Journal will live a long life for your loyal readers . . . and as a great recollection for your memory of the trip. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Your daily reports were great fun to read! For those of us who have been there before, it is always delightful to read of the experiences of "first timers". Hope you will be able to return for many years to come.

Fantastic, thank you so much for the information thru your reports. Quick question, wife and I are planning our visit around June of 2015. We have looked at the website for Saline Gardens. Would you recommend? Any positives or negatives you could share?

We really liked Salines Garden.

Pros:
Inexpensive
Can get room with kitchenette
Jean-philippe is very helpful (will meet you at the ferry/airport) and fun to talk to.
Breakfast included (and having breakfast with the other guests was always fun, and a great way to find out new things to see on the island.)
Very close to Saline beach

Cons:
Does not have a view of the ocean
Breakfast is not exactly "healthy" (bread and jams, croissants)
Has a long, very bumpy driveway (not a problem, just have to drive really slowly.)

Advice:
Get a cottage with a kitchenette. We had the "Cap Ferret" cottage. One of the other guests said their kitchenette (which is outdoors) was infested in mosquitoes. We did not see any at all at our kitchenette, I think it got the breeze a bit better. Overall, we hardly saw any mosquitoes on our trip, actually.
If you're used to have a breakfast with some nutrition in it, you'll want to think about adding to what's served at the table. There were a few of us there that were bringing more items to the breakfast table.

Overall, we were very happy with where we stayed. If and when we come back to St Barts, I think it would be very likely that we would stay there again.

Thank you for your insight. We are leaning toward Saline Gardens. Your report has inspired me to "get with it" on getting things together. Wife is not too please with taking the flight from St. Martin to St Barts. We have visited the island one other time (day trip) and we took the "vomit comet". It was and my wife did. :) So I have a chance of talking her into the plane ride.

We had the same experience with the ferry. The trip back was fine, though. I think we would make a point of taking the plane next time, not just from our experience with the ferry, but also just because it sounds like it's its own adventure in itself!

Inexpensive villa

You might want to look at Villa Case du Roy under villas for rent by owner on this site. $1400 U.S for a week off-season. Several forum members have been very pleased.

Our group have discovered your beautiful island in 2007 and love returning. The villa options are wonderful and give you chances to choose between areas of the island.
Of late we have been in the Govenour area and love the location. So many restaurants close by to choose from and all have their own special identity with terrific friendly staff there to assist. The beaches are fantastic with our favorites being all of them! Of course Govenour may be the most beautiful with its intimate setting, usually protected waters with gentle wave action that I have seen only in a few places in the world. I wonder about the daily watering of the vegetation which seem to be encroaching on the available beach the past couple of years. Seems to me that if it were to occur naturally...ok, but the artificial watering is encouraging invasion of the beach which is public to all on the island. The beach boulders on the west end of the harbor used to be visable and are now covered by the vegetation that seems to have been encouraged by the watering that occurs daily that we saw. I hope Govenour will remain accessible to all.