SBH Internet

What's a vacation? Sometimes we need interweb to book a flight to the next destination, or to apply for a visa to the country our plane is departing in 30 minutes :)

Maybe you do....not me...not by a long shot...:cool:....I'm not nearly that chic and jetsetterish ( is that even a word?)...LOL

but by all means......have at it

Petri, Thanks for the analysis. Interesting. Next week I'll check to see if the local speds in Lorient have improved.

Mike, Don't forget that you don't need to be a geek, you've got me for tech support.

Petri, Thanks for the analysis. Interesting. Next week I'll check to see if the local speds in Lorient have improved.

Interesting to see..

But this has really nothing to do with being "off the grid". I'm more curious about how places are connected than actually using the interweb. If I get excellent interweb on an atoll I Maldives, I check how it's done :) If the interweb is sub-standard, I check why it's so and is there anything I can do about it.

Just like MikeR will care about the Dover Sole actually being fresh and from Dover, unlike some other folks who just eat it like any other fish..

Professional handicap :)

You reminded me to check

Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 7.23.37 AM.jpg

Kevin.. Yes I do!!!!.....and for that i m grateful....driving by your exit later....I ll wave

Petri .....Absolutely .. We all pick our causes and our battles

Great read! I didn't follow all the tech jargon, but "bottom line" was interesting and satisfying news!

All we know after reading all of this is at the Villa we stay at in Pt. Milou during off peak times- early morning and late evening- we do ok but at peak times it can be frustrating when everybody seems to be on line- it is either a long wait or non existent. We have been hearing things will improve for a long time but that's why we go to SBH- c'est la vie!

Alt click the WiFi icon and you'll see how the raw WiFi is connected.

Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 21.57.24.png

From my "DIY iMac", aka Early 2009 Mac Mini connected to a "Philips TV Monitor". Sold the 27" iMac and won't be ordering a new yet as we're leaving the country in less than a week..

PHY Mode tells if it's 802.11n, 802.11ac or something else. Tx Rate is the raw speed, there's plenty of overhead on top of that. Channel width (40 MHz) is also important as it can narrow down to 20 MHz with 802.11n.

One should remember that 802.11ac is really more about supercharging 802.11n. It can use 80 or even 160 MHz channels instead of 20/40 MHz. It uses new modulation scheme (256QAM). While the 5 GHz frequencies can handle eight 20 MHz channels, it's only four 40 MHz, two 80 MHz and one 160 Mhz channels.. All good if the 5 GHz area is clean and neighbours aren't there, but if it gets as crowded as 2.4 GHz..

This is actually some fascinating stuff, not the least of which is that we all take it for granted...til the net goes down.

Petri,
Thanks for your summary in English for us non techies! When do you think we will begin seeing results from the island work on connectivity?

Petri,
Thanks for your summary in English for us non techies! When do you think we will begin seeing results from the island work on connectivity?

From what I saw, it's already happening very well. If the fiber was arriving to Lorient last summer, I'd assume they will go further east to Marigot pretty soon if not already there. I don't know if they want to have a business case first, or consider it basic infrastructure, so 50-50 chances for the south coast. Perhaps the locals from the island can report when they see fiber being installed somewhere :)

I saw fiber being pulled on La Pointe in November, by Solutech. They were up on Rue de la Colline, near the Gendarmerie, and pulling fiber down Rue Stephen Atwater to Rue Victor Schoelcher, then past the Hôtel de la Collectivité and down Rue de Piteå to Wall House. What route it took to where I saw the start of the fiber pull, and where it went afterwards, I don't know.

Thanks for the work Petri. I didn't used to care too much about the internet access at my villa, but as I get used to using more OTT sources for entertainment having a good connection is more important than ever. When you come back from dinner it is nice to have the option to put on a movie on Netflix or to connect to your Slingbox back home to watch the latest hockey or basketball game.

p.s. Maybe the Villa info shown on websites should include a result from Speedtest.net?

I saw fiber being pulled on La Pointe in November, by Solutech. They were up on Rue de la Colline, near the Gendarmerie, and pulling fiber down Rue Stephen Atwater to Rue Victor Schoelcher, then past the Hôtel de la Collectivité and down Rue de Piteå to Wall House. What route it took to where I saw the start of the fiber pull, and where it went afterwards, I don't know.

Very cool tech...at least that's what Verizon used on Fire Island after Sandy.

Fiber runs thru a conduit. Inside of the conduit is coated with a heat activated lubricant...(I know, TWSS)

So, the more friction, the more heat, the more slippery the conduit becomes. Pretty cool.